Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Help--quickly, please

I'm experiencing a brain fart. I need to rotisserie cook a boneless pork
roast and can't remember how long it should take and what temp it should
be for slicing (155? 160?). It's about 3 1/3 lbs.

TIA

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Stan (the Man) wrote:

> I'm experiencing a brain fart. I need to rotisserie cook a boneless pork
> roast and can't remember how long it should take and what temp it should
> be for slicing (155? 160?). It's about 3 1/3 lbs.

Hi Stan,

I'm assuming we're talking boneless center cut eye of loin...

Pull it off at about 140 F (no, not a typo) and it will
overshoot and settle in to about 145 F.

There will be at least some pink left in the center, which is
the way you want it.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Stan (the Man) wrote:
>
>> I'm experiencing a brain fart. I need to rotisserie cook a boneless
>> pork roast and can't remember how long it should take and what temp it
>> should be for slicing (155? 160?). It's about 3 1/3 lbs.

> Hi Stan,
>
> I'm assuming we're talking boneless center cut eye of loin...
>
> Pull it off at about 140 F (no, not a typo) and it will
> overshoot and settle in to about 145 F.
>
> There will be at least some pink left in the center, which is
> the way you want it.

Thanks a mil!

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Stan (the Man) wrote:

> Thanks a mil!

Sure. Here's wishing you an easy, laid back Sunday.

Nice weather here on the west coast. I'm gonna go for a run
on the beach, then put a pork tenderloin and a bird or two
onto the fire.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Reg" > wrote in message

> Pull it off at about 140 F (no, not a typo) and it will
> overshoot and settle in to about 145 F.
>
> There will be at least some pink left in the center, which is
> the way you want it.

Ooooooohh the government won't like you for that. It must be taken to 250
degrees for at least an hour, then run over with your car a few times to
kill any bad bugs.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>>
>> Pull it off at about 140 F (no, not a typo) and it will
>> overshoot and settle in to about 145 F.
>>
>> There will be at least some pink left in the center, which is
>> the way you want it.

> Ooooooohh the government won't like you for that. It must be taken to 250
> degrees for at least an hour, then run over with your car a few times to
> kill any bad bugs.

That is so 1960's......everyone knows that you are supposed to irradiate
your meat and veggies these days.....

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>
>>Pull it off at about 140 F (no, not a typo) and it will
>>overshoot and settle in to about 145 F.
>>
>>There will be at least some pink left in the center, which is
>>the way you want it.

> Ooooooohh the government won't like you for that. It must be taken to 250
> degrees for at least an hour, then run over with your car a few times to
> kill any bad bugs.

Then, the hard part. Chasing those bacteria around
the yard with a shotgun. They're hard to hit, too.

There. ya happy, USDA?

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

> Ooooooohh the government won't like you for that. It must be taken to 250
> degrees for at least an hour, then run over with your car a few times to
> kill any bad bugs.

But you need to sanitize your tires first!

Kurt
Salem, OR

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 21-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"
> wrote:

> I'm experiencing a brain fart. I need to rotisserie cook a
> boneless pork
> roast and can't remember how long it should take and what
> temp it should
> be for slicing (155? 160?). It's about 3 1/3 lbs.
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Stan

What Reg said, plus let it rest after reaching 140°F or so
internal before taking it off the spit. Just cover it
loosely
with some foil and go drink a beer or two. With luck, some
of the juice will stay in the meat when you take the spit
out. Oh yeh. I'd expect about an hour and a half for that
little piece of dead pig in the typical rotisserie
environment.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 22-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"

> > On 21-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"
> > > wrote:

<snip>

> > Oh yeh. I'd expect about an hour and a half for
> > that
> > little piece of dead pig in the typical rotisserie
> > environment.

> That's just about how long it took to reach 140. Took it
> off and let it
> sit til I finished sauteeing the green beans. Juiciest
> piece of pork
> I've ever eaten. The only bad part was convincing my
> Neandertal guests
> that it's not dangerous to eat pink pork. They did manage
> to get past
> their primal fears and I had no leftovers, the bastids.
>
> --
> Stan

It probably won't help Stan, but you could tell your guests
that virtually all pork sold commercially these days is
certified. There's probably a different term for it now, but
the gist is that pork is frozen for a predetermined period
of time to kill any trichina worm(s) present in the flesh.
There's a table buried somewhere in the USDA archives
that gives the times and temperatures required. Actually
it only involves ordinary freezer temperatures and a week
to ten days to get the job done. Commercially, they can
go to -20°F for just a couple of days to assure that all
trichina are dead. Minus five in your ordinary home freezer
will get the job done in something under two weeks. When
our folks were young, pork went from the butch block to
the table and thus cooking was the only assurance of
saftey from trichinosis.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny wrote>
> Congrats on the result, btw.
> Better result than I got yesterday with the baby backs. Left 'em in
> too long, so they got rather dry. Edible--and now gone--but I'll
> stick with spares henceforth. Much better meat-to-bone ratio.

Denny,
I know that cuts of meat are a matter of personal preference but I'd
strongly suggest that you try baby backs again. Spare ribs might have more
bulk to bone, but to me, baby backs have a better quality meat to bone
ratio, IMHO.

I use a combination of the Memphis Hogaholics dry rub found on the bbq faq
and a mop.

Then again....if you invited us over for a bbq with spare ribs....we
wouldn't turn you down

Have a good week!
Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> On 22-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"

>>> On 21-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"
>>>

> <snip>
>
>>> Oh yeh. I'd expect about an hour and a half for
>>> that
>>> little piece of dead pig in the typical rotisserie
>>> environment.

>> That's just about how long it took to reach 140. Took it
>> off and let it
>> sit til I finished sauteeing the green beans. Juiciest
>> piece of pork
>> I've ever eaten. The only bad part was convincing my
>> Neandertal guests
>> that it's not dangerous to eat pink pork. They did manage
>> to get past
>> their primal fears and I had no leftovers, the bastids.
>>
>> --
>> Stan

> It probably won't help Stan, but you could tell your guests
> that virtually all pork sold commercially these days is
> certified. There's probably a different term for it now, but
> the gist is that pork is frozen for a predetermined period
> of time to kill any trichina worm(s) present in the flesh.
> There's a table buried somewhere in the USDA archives
> that gives the times and temperatures required. Actually
> it only involves ordinary freezer temperatures and a week
> to ten days to get the job done. Commercially, they can
> go to -20°F for just a couple of days to assure that all
> trichina are dead. Minus five in your ordinary home freezer
> will get the job done in something under two weeks. When
> our folks were young, pork went from the butch block to
> the table and thus cooking was the only assurance of
> saftey from trichinosis.

It's hard to convince oldsters that they won't die a terrible death by
eating "undercooked" pork. And, facts only confuse them. My wife is
toughest. She not only worries about getting ill from it, but she also
doesn't like rare meat in general. So, she gets the end pieces. I'm
beginning to think she may be running a scam on me.

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:29:13 GMT, "Stan (the Man)"
> > wrote:
>
>> That's just about how long it took to reach 140. Took it off and let it
>> sit til I finished sauteeing the green beans. Juiciest piece of pork
>> I've ever eaten. The only bad part was convincing my Neandertal guests
>> that it's not dangerous to eat pink pork. They did manage to get past
>> their primal fears and I had no leftovers, the bastids.

> Hey, don't complain about *them*--YOU are the one who convinced them
> to eat it!
>
> Congrats on the result, btw.
> Better result than I got yesterday with the baby backs. Left 'em in
> too long, so they got rather dry. Edible--and now gone--but I'll
> stick with spares henceforth. Much better meat-to-bone ratio.

I learned that the hard way, too. Why the babybacks are so expensive is
beyond me.

--
Stan
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 23-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"
> wrote:

> Denny Wheeler wrote:
> > On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 13:29:13 GMT, "Stan (the Man)"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> That's just about how long it took to reach 140. Took
> >> it off and let it
> >> sit til I finished sauteeing the green beans. Juiciest
> >> piece of pork
> >> I've ever eaten. The only bad part was convincing my
> >> Neandertal guests
> >> that it's not dangerous to eat pink pork. They did
> >> manage to get past
> >> their primal fears and I had no leftovers, the bastids.

> > Hey, don't complain about *them*--YOU are the one who
> > convinced them
> > to eat it!
> >
> > Congrats on the result, btw.
> > Better result than I got yesterday with the baby backs.
> > Left 'em in
> > too long, so they got rather dry. Edible--and now
> > gone--but I'll
> > stick with spares henceforth. Much better meat-to-bone
> > ratio.

> I learned that the hard way, too. Why the babybacks are so
> expensive is
> beyond me.
>
> --
> Stan

Baby backs are like that Stan. You have to watch them like a
hawk.
They cook much faster then spares. You need to be careful
with
loins and tenderloins too. They'll get away from you in a
New York
second if you're not careful enough. They're hard to beat
when they're
done right though. Another favorite of mine are grilled pork
blade steaks,
but they need to be done on a hot grill and they're subject
to drastic flare-ups
because of the fat. I usually get my grill real hot and then
cut the draft
back next to nothing before putting the pork steaks on.
Immediately
cover with the lid. Wait patiently for just about two
minutes and then
quickly uncover and turn the steaks. Recover, wait two more
minutes
and they should be crispy on the outside. Practice until you
get it
right and you will be rewarded with 'Good Eats'.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"TFM®" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> . ..
> >
> > On 22-Jan-2007, "Stan (the Man)"
> > > wrote:

> > <snip>

> > > That's just about how long it took to reach 140. Took it
> > > off and let it
> > > sit til I finished sauteeing the green beans. Juiciest
> > > piece of pork
> > > I've ever eaten. The only bad part was convincing my
> > > Neandertal guests
> > > that it's not dangerous to eat pink pork. They did manage
> > > to get past
> > > their primal fears and I had no leftovers, the bastids.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Stan

> > It probably won't help Stan, but you could tell your guests
> > that virtually all pork sold commercially these days is
> > certified. There's probably a different term for it now, but
> > the gist is that pork is frozen for a predetermined period
> > of time to kill any trichina worm(s) present in the flesh.
> > There's a table buried somewhere in the USDA archives
> > that gives the times and temperatures required. Actually
> > it only involves ordinary freezer temperatures and a week
> > to ten days to get the job done. Commercially, they can
> > go to -20°F for just a couple of days to assure that all
> > trichina are dead. Minus five in your ordinary home freezer
> > will get the job done in something under two weeks. When
> > our folks were young, pork went from the butch block to
> > the table and thus cooking was the only assurance of
> > saftey from trichinosis.

> Lest we not forget that part about commercially raised pork being confined
> it's entire life and unable to forage in the woods like the trichinae

ridden
> bear.
>
> Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic
> disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork and wild game products
> infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis,
> commonly called the trichina worm. The few cases in the United States are
> mostly the result of eating undercooked game or home reared pigs. It is

most
> common in the developing world and where pigs are commonly fed raw

garbage.

> ==========
>
> Symptoms can be divided into two types: symptoms caused by worms in the
> intestine, and symptoms caused by worms elsewhere.
>
> In the intestine, infection can cause:
>
> a.. Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, and abdominal discomfort
> Later, as the worms encyst in different parts of the body, other symptoms
> occur such as:
>
> a.. Headaches, fevers, chills, cough, eye swelling, aching joints and
> muscle pains, pinpoint hemorrhages, itchy skin, and heightened numbers of
> white blood cells.
> =========
>
> Aww shit! I've got it!
>
> =========
>
> For mild to moderate infections, most symptoms subside within a few

months.
> Fatigue, weakness, and diarrhea may last for months.
>
> =========
>

> Yep, definitely have it.
>
> =================
>

> The worm can infect any species of mammal that consumes its encysted

larval
> stages. When an animal eats meat that contains infective Trichinella

cysts,
> the acid in the stomach dissolves the hard covering of the cyst and

releases
> the worms. The worms pass into the small intestine and, in 1-2 days,

become
> mature. After mating, adult females produce larvae, which break through

the
> intestinal wall and travel through the lymphatic system to the circulatory
> system to find a suitable cell. Larvae can penetrate any cell, but can

only
> survive in skeletal muscle. Within a muscle cell, the worms curl up and
> direct the cells functioning much as a virus does. The cell is now called

> nurse cell. Soon, a net of blood vessels surround the nurse cell,

providing
> added nutrition for the larva inside.
>

> --
> TFM®
> Zephyrhills (spreading the truth and other infectuous diseases) Florida
>
> Source -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trichinosis

My god...I'm gonna have to stop eatin' those feral hogs.
I'm sure gonna miss 'em.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Jack Sloan wrote:

> "TFM®" > wrote in message
>

>>Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis, is a parasitic
>>disease caused by eating raw or undercooked pork and wild game products
>>infected with the larvae of a species of roundworm Trichinella spiralis,
>>commonly called the trichina worm. The few cases in the United States are
>>mostly the result of eating undercooked game or home reared pigs. It is

> My god...I'm gonna have to stop eatin' those feral hogs.
> I'm sure gonna miss 'em.

No need, Jack. Just cook em enough and you'll be fine

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Stan (the Man)" > wrote in message

> . Why the babybacks are so expensive is beyond me.

supply and demand. Years ago, they were considered junk meat and often
thrown away. Then some restaurant chain started selling them and now they
are in demand.

I remember buying bags of chicken wings for 5¢ a pound before some jerk in
Buffalo made them so popular.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...
> I remember buying bags of chicken wings for 5¢ a pound before some jerk in
> Buffalo made them so popular.

So are you talking about Buffalo wings or "jerk chicken"?

ha ha ha

Chris

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

TFM® wrote:

> Symptoms can be divided into two types: symptoms caused by worms in the
> intestine, and symptoms caused by worms elsewhere.
>
> In the intestine, infection can cause:
>
> a.. Nausea, diarrhea, vomiting, fatigue, fever, and abdominal discomfort
> Later, as the worms encyst in different parts of the body, other symptoms
> occur such as:
>
> a.. Headaches, fevers, chills, cough, eye swelling, aching joints and
> muscle pains, pinpoint hemorrhages, itchy skin, and heightened numbers of
> white blood cells.
> =========
>
> Aww shit! I've got it!
>
> =========
>
> For mild to moderate infections, most symptoms subside within a few months.
> Fatigue, weakness, and diarrhea may last for months.

In other words, Oprah's weight loss program