Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Homemade salami

I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami that
calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on converting
this to smoker time?

Thanks, Michael

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Michael Boyd wrote:

> I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami that
> calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on converting
> this to smoker time?

Don't take this the wrong way but that's a really bad
recipe.

If you cook it that hot, all the fat will melt and run
out of the piece and too much of the moisture will evaporate.
It'll end up on the bottom of the smoker instead of
inside the salami where it belongs. The result will
be a dry and crumbly salami.

You can get by with hot and fast cooking only
if you're going to serve it hot right out
off the pit. Once it cools it won't be very good.

Fan dry the outside first, then smoke it at under
200 F. I average about a 180 F pit temp. If
you end up with anything but a small amount of fat
or moisture on the surface that means you cooked
it too hot.

Cook to an internal temp of about 155-160 F. Forget
about cooking by time, especially if you've never
done this before. Use a thermometer. I'm acquainted
with a few people who know their equipment and
processes so well that they don't need a thermometer
any more, but not many.

Take a look through this guy's site. He's got
everything you'll need including recipes.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Michael Boyd wrote:
> I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami that
> calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on converting
> this to smoker time?
>

> Thanks, Michael

Salami is not cooked, it's cured. I'm not sure what you have
a recipe for, but it's not salami.

Here's a link to one method of really making salami. There's
no quick shortcut to true salami.

http://home.pacbell.net/lpoli/page0002.htm

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Michael Boyd wrote:
>
>> I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami
>> that calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on
>> converting this to smoker time?
>>

>> Thanks, Michael
>>

> Salami is not cooked, it's cured.

Not all are dry cured. Some are cooked.

Salami Cotto

Translation: Cooked salami

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Michael Boyd wrote:
>>
>>> I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami
>>> that calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on
>>> converting this to smoker time?
>>>

>>> Thanks, Michael
>>>

>> Salami is not cooked, it's cured.

> Not all are dry cured. Some are cooked.

> Translation: Cooked salami

Sorry, but that's not truely salami.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>>>
>>> Salami is not cooked, it's cured.

>> Not all are dry cured. Some are cooked.

>> Translation: Cooked salami
>>

> Sorry, but that's not truely salami.

<LOL>

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:

>>> Not all are dry cured. Some are cooked.

>>> Translation: Cooked salami
>>>

>> Sorry, but that's not truely salami.
>>

> <LOL>

Laugh all you want. True salami's are not cooked, they're
cured. Obviously you can do salami *like* products that are
cooked but they aren't salami in the traditional sense of
the word.

Kinda like you *can* boil ribs, but I wouldn't (Sorry Moosie
;-) )

One example:

It. salame [sah-LAH-mee] The name applied to a family of
sausages similar to cervelats. Both styles are uncooked but
safe to eat without cooking because they've been cured (see
cure). Salamis, however, tend to be more boldly seasoned
(particularly with garlic), coarser, drier and, unlike
cervelats, rarely smoked.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Laugh all you want. True salami's are not cooked, they're cured.
> Obviously you can do salami *like* products that are cooked but they
> aren't salami in the traditional sense of the word.

Salamishes? Salamoids?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Laugh all you want. True salami's are not cooked, they're cured.
> Obviously you can do salami *like* products that are cooked but they
> aren't salami in the traditional sense of the word.
>
> Kinda like you *can* boil ribs, but I wouldn't (Sorry Moosie ;-) )
>

> One example:
>
> It. salame [sah-LAH-mee] The name applied to a family of sausages
> similar to cervelats. Both styles are uncooked but safe to eat without
> cooking because they've been cured (see cure). Salamis, however, tend to
> be more boldly seasoned (particularly with garlic), coarser, drier and,
> unlike cervelats, rarely smoked.

Busted. You neglected to mention where you got this
so no one could read the ENTIRE reference.

<http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/search?query=salami>

Here's the key part you left out:

Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in size, shape, seasoning and
curing process. Though they're usually made from a mixture of beef
and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly beef. Among the best-known
Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and studded with white
peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black peppercorns).

Cotto means cooked, remember?

Continuing:

The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft.

Yes, yet another type of cooked salami.

Refuted by your own reference. You're so pathetic it's
laughable.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:

> <http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/how_to/food_dictionary/search?query=salami>
>

> Here's the key part you left out:
>
> Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in size, shape, seasoning and
> curing process. Though they're usually made from a mixture of beef
> and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly beef. Among the best-known
> Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and studded with white
> peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black peppercorns).
>
> Cotto means cooked, remember?
>
> Continuing:
>
> The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft.
>
> Yes, yet another type of cooked salami.
>
> Refuted by your own reference. You're so pathetic it's
> laughable.

Well, I guess having a reasonable discussion is out of the
question. I've really tried to ignore those who have labeled
you an asshole, it appears I was in error. AMF

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Well, I guess having a reasonable discussion is out of the question.
> I've really tried to ignore those who have labeled you an asshole, it
> appears I was in error. AMF

I don't consider playing the shell game that you did part
of a "reasonable" discussion. Then when all else fails,
resort to name calling. You've certainly distinguished
yourself.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:13:29 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Reg wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>>> Sorry, but that's not truely salami.
>>>

>> <LOL>
>>

>Laugh all you want. True salami's are not cooked, they're
>cured. Obviously you can do salami *like* products that are
>cooked but they aren't salami in the traditional sense of
>the word.
>
>Kinda like you *can* boil ribs, but I wouldn't (Sorry Moosie
>;-) )

Moosemeat [only the girls called him 'Moosie'], doesn't care - him
having gone to boil his ribs in that 'other place' beyond several
years ago.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:

> Moosemeat [only the girls called him 'Moosie'], doesn't care - him
> having gone to boil his ribs in that 'other place' beyond several
> years ago.
>
> Harry

I know Harry, it was done "tongue in cheek" just to see
who's watchin. ;-)

I always hoist a brew to him when I fire up the WSM.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Reg wrote:
> > Steve Calvin wrote:

Cotto salami

> >> Sorry, but that's not truely salami.
> >>

> > <LOL>
> >

> Laugh all you want. True salami's are not cooked, they're
> cured. Obviously you can do salami *like* products that are
> cooked but they aren't salami in the traditional sense of
> the word.
>
> Kinda like you *can* boil ribs, but I wouldn't (Sorry Moosie
> ;-) )
>
> One example:
>
> It. salame [sah-LAH-mee] The name applied to a family of
> sausages similar to cervelats. Both styles are uncooked but
> safe to eat without cooking because they've been cured (see
> cure). Salamis, however, tend to be more boldly seasoned
> (particularly with garlic), coarser, drier and, unlike
> cervelats, rarely smoked.

While Hormel says that Cotto Salami is uncooked, what I remember Camaña
making was cured and slow heated to around 150° F before bein' hung out ta
cool and dry. But whaddo I know? I'm just a dumb Sichy from da Bronx. ;-/

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Reg wrote:
> >
> > <http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../search?query=
> > salami>
> >
> > Here's the key part you left out:
> >
> > Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in size, shape, seasoning and
> > curing process. Though they're usually made from a mixture of beef
> > and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly beef. Among the best-known
> > Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and studded with white
> > peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black peppercorns).
> >
> > Cotto means cooked, remember?
> >
> > Continuing:
> >
> > The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft.
> >
> > Yes, yet another type of cooked salami.
> >
> > Refuted by your own reference. You're so pathetic it's
> > laughable.

> Well, I guess having a reasonable discussion is out of the
> question. I've really tried to ignore those who have labeled
> you an asshole, it appears I was in error. AMF

Well, as long as you've run out of reasonable arguments and have reduced
yourself to abusive ad hominum attacks, please label me as an asshole, too!
Go play with KSW. Bye!

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

wrote:
> Steve Calvin > wrote:
>> Reg wrote:
>>> <
http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho.../search?query=
>>> salami>
>>>
>>> Here's the key part you left out:
>>>
>>> Salamis are usually air-dried and vary in size, shape, seasoning and
>>> curing process. Though they're usually made from a mixture of beef
>>> and pork, the KOSHER versions are strictly beef. Among the best-known
>>> Italian salamis are Genoa (rich, fatty and studded with white
>>> peppercorns) and cotto (studded with black peppercorns).
>>>
>>> Cotto means cooked, remember?
>>>
>>> Continuing:
>>>
>>> The nonpork kosher salamis are cooked and semisoft.
>>>
>>> Yes, yet another type of cooked salami.
>>>
>>> Refuted by your own reference. You're so pathetic it's
>>> laughable.

>> Well, I guess having a reasonable discussion is out of the
>> question. I've really tried to ignore those who have labeled
>> you an asshole, it appears I was in error. AMF

> Well, as long as you've run out of reasonable arguments and have reduced
> yourself to abusive ad hominum attacks, please label me as an asshole, too!
> Go play with KSW. Bye!

Well Nick, if you're kissing me off then **** this group.
AMF to you all. I didn't start calling names, Reg did if you

As for the salami issue, it's matter of interpretation. Mine
is that TRADITIONAL salami is NOT cooked. Are there
variations that ARE cooked? Certainly. There are variations
on everything, that doesn't make them original.

AMF to the group.

--
Steve "Outta here" Calvin

Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Reg Reg is offline

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 18:46:09 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>>I've really tried to ignore those who have labeled
>>you an asshole, it appears I was in error. AMF

> No sensible person has called him an asshole that I'm aware of.

I took it as a complement, really.

He distorted the actual meaning of a quote by selectively
editing it, then tried to cover his tracks by hiding the
source.

A form of lying, as it were.

In this case, "asshole" is short for "asshole who called
me on the bullshit I tried to foist off on everyone".

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 13:36:34 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 19:46:51 -0500, Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> I always hoist a brew to him [Moosemeat] when I fire up the WSM.

>Why? Did he actually BBQ?
>
>-sw

Yes, He actually did well at it, but he was also a championship class
Troll.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Michael Boyd" > wrote in message
>I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami that
>calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on converting
>this to smoker time?
>

> Thanks, Michael

Jeez Louise, I'm sorry I asked. If I try it at all i gues I'll keep it to
myself

Michael

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Michael Boyd" > wrote:
> "Michael Boyd" > wrote in message
>
> >I use an upright smoker with the ECB mods. I got a recipe for salami
> >that calls for it to be cooked at 325 for 1 ½ hours. Ann thoughts on
> >converting this to smoker time?
> >
> > Thanks, Michael
> >

> Jeez Louise, I'm sorry I asked. If I try it at all i gues I'll keep it to
> myself

I must have missed something here. ;-/

~Semper Fi~ www.delphiayachtsusa.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 30-Jan-2007, Denny Wheeler > wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 01:45:34 GMT, "Brick" >
> wrote:
>
> >> I must have missed something here. ;-/
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nick.

> >Me too. And I thought I had read all of the posts. What did I miss?

> Was it in this thread that we had the two-person flamewar over whether
> 'salami' is by definition not cooked?
>
> -denny-

Probably was, being that the subject was/is homemade salami.

--
Brick (Youth is wasted on young people)

salami A Moose In Love General Cooking 0 29-04-2010 03:08 AM
Mac and Salami koko General Cooking 0 25-03-2009 04:42 AM
Salami Tampa Florida General Cooking 10 15-08-2004 08:50 AM
SALAMI on BBQ need recipe please Jacques Lorrain Barbecue 19 30-07-2004 11:59 PM