FoodBanter.com

-   -   New meat grinder (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/108633-new-meat-grinder.html)

Nonnymus 02-12-2006 11:45 PM

New meat grinder

I've long thought about getting a meat grinder to play with. Finally, I
bought one on eBay, and it arrived today. The thought is that I'd like
to try making some sausages like they have at County Line or Rudy's in
Austin. Never having made sausage before, I'd sure appreciate any
advice you all might have. Specifically, where do I get the casing, and
should I go for natural, artificial or cloth? Also, if you have any
recipes that might be like County Line's or Rudy's, that would be
appreciated as well.

I'm waiting for my Bradley smoker to arrive, so there's no hurry and I
have plenty of time to look around for recipes.
--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,

[email protected] 03-12-2006 06:16 PM

New meat grinder

On 2-Dec-2006, Nonnymus > wrote:

> I've long thought about getting a meat grinder to play with. Finally, I
> bought one on eBay, and it arrived today. The thought is that I'd like
> to try making some sausages like they have at County Line or Rudy's in
> Austin. Never having made sausage before, I'd sure appreciate any
> advice you all might have. Specifically, where do I get the casing, and
> should I go for natural, artificial or cloth? Also, if you have any
> recipes that might be like County Line's or Rudy's, that would be
> appreciated as well.
>
> I'm waiting for my Bradley smoker to arrive, so there's no hurry and I
> have plenty of time to look around for recipes.
> --
> ---Nonnymus---

Here's some good references to get you started Nonny.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/index.php
http://www.sausagemaker.com/
This is Rytek Kutas' own company.

Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing by Rytek Kutas

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)

Nonnymus 03-12-2006 08:11 PM

New meat grinder

Wow- that's WAY to fiddley for me, and the darn recipe and preparation
technique doesn't sound that good, either. I'll keep looking. <grin>

Nonny

Nonnymus 03-12-2006 08:18 PM

New meat grinder

Many thanks.

Nonny

[email protected] 04-12-2006 12:23 AM

New meat grinder

Go to www.NorthernTools.com and get their 100 buck grinder. It was 20
bucks cheaper 2 months ago. This one works!

Pierre[_1_] 04-12-2006 01:31 PM

New meat grinder

Nonnymus wrote:
> I've long thought about getting a meat grinder to play with. Finally, I
> bought one on eBay, and it arrived today.

Nonny,
If your grinder came with a manual, you should start there. Recipes
abound on the net, and Amazon is loaded with books on the subject, as
well as your local bookstore. Try Aidells book, for starters and great
results.

Casings can be found at most grocery stores. Lots of recipes for hill
country style sausages are also on the net.

Google is your friend.

Pierre