Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Ziplock XXL bags OK for brining, too.

I called SC Johnson on Friday and confirmed that the XL and XXL Ziploc
bags ARE food safe.
So, if you need an alternate to a cooler and have the room in your
fridge, these bags are another option. I'd recommend you support the
bag with a cookie sheet.

Rob
Q 4 All

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I called SC Johnson on Friday and confirmed that the XL and XXL Ziploc
> bags ARE food safe.

You had to make a call to confirm that?

If you use my brine, you can do it in a stainless steel vessel, no
reactivity.

--
TFM®
Zephyrhills (*Everything* is food safe here) Florida

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

FWIW, I've had excellent luck using the plastic trash compactor bags
sold by Albertson's and Sears. They are of very heavy material and are
large enough to hold a turkey. Sealing them isn't that difficult if you
twist the end, double it over and use a couple rubber bands.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Nov 19, 10:04 am, "TFM®" > wrote:
> " > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
>
> > I called SC Johnson on Friday and confirmed that the XL and XXL Ziploc
> > bags ARE food safe.You had to make a call to confirm that?

> If you use my brine, you can do it in a stainless steel vessel, no
> reactivity.
>
> --
> TFM®
> Zephyrhills (*Everything* is food safe here) Florida

TFM®-

I *always* use your brine :-)
I just don't have a stainless steel vessel big enough for 3 turkey
breasts!

Rob

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I called SC Johnson on Friday and confirmed that the XL and XXL Ziploc
> bags ARE food safe.
> So, if you need an alternate to a cooler and have the room in your
> fridge, these bags are another option. I'd recommend you support the
> bag with a cookie sheet.
>
> Rob
> Q 4 All

I've been brining 12-14lb turkeys in 2.5 gal. Ziplock bags for years without
any problems.
Because the ratio of brine to turkey is much smaller than in the usual brine
container I use more salt. Rather than 1 oz table salt/quart I use 1.5
oz/quart or even 2 oz/quart.

Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

What's the big deal about brining? I have never brined anything (except
pickles).

Kent wrote:
> " > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I called SC Johnson on Friday and confirmed that the XL and XXL Ziploc
>>bags ARE food safe.
>>So, if you need an alternate to a cooler and have the room in your
>>fridge, these bags are another option. I'd recommend you support the
>>bag with a cookie sheet.
>>
>>Rob
>>Q 4 All
>>

> I've been brining 12-14lb turkeys in 2.5 gal. Ziplock bags for years without
> any problems.
> Because the ratio of brine to turkey is much smaller than in the usual brine
> container I use more salt. Rather than 1 oz table salt/quart I use 1.5
> oz/quart or even 2 oz/quart.
>
> Kent

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Glenn wrote:
> What's the big deal about brining? I have never brined anything (except
> pickles).

Brining does amazing things to turkeys and chickens. Search the
archives of this group for lots of testimonials.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:
> Glenn wrote:
>> What's the big deal about brining? I have never brined anything (except
>> pickles).
>>

> Brining does amazing things to turkeys and chickens. Search the
> archives of this group for lots of testimonials.
>
> -John O

But also read the label of the chicken, turkey, or whatever,
that you buy. Quite a few already contain a "salt solution",
in which case additional brining wouldn't be a good thing.

Get a fresh killed bird that hasn't been brined if you can
and try it

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:14:55 -0600, Kathleen
> > wrote:
>
> >Afterwards clean the cooler out with anti-bacterial dishsoap and a
> >little bleach, rinse well and leave in direct sunlight to dry.

> Obviously Kathleen does *not* live in Western Washington.
> We'd need a different technique here.

Are you saying that you're stuck where the sun don't shine?

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

> >> Obviously Kathleen does *not* live in Western Washington.
> >> We'd need a different technique here.
> >>

> >Are you saying that you're stuck where the sun don't shine?

> That's about right. Especially it don't shine in November. It's--as
> I type--just past midnight, Nov 22nd, and yesterday we set a new
> record for wettest single month ever. In Seattle, anyway.

I'm on the southeastern edge of Lake Michigan and as soon as it cools
off for winter...the real cold stuff...we won't see the sun. Typically
that's starting in a couple weeks and lasting until February, right
along the lake. We get snow instead of rain. Sometimes lots of snow.
This has been a very wet second half of the year here as well.

-John O

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:49:09 GMT, Eddie >
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:22:35 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:
>
>>JohnO wrote:
>>>>

>>But also read the label of the chicken, turkey, or whatever,
>>that you buy. Quite a few already contain a "salt solution",
>>in which case additional brining wouldn't be a good thing.
>>

>Steve, here is what is on the label of my butterball:
>"Contains up to 7% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness
>of water, salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates and natural
>flavors."
>
>Now, based on that, do you think I need to brine, or not?

No. It's already been brined.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

JohnO wrote:

>>>Are you saying that you're stuck where the sun don't shine?

>>That's about right. Especially it don't shine in November. It's--as
>>I type--just past midnight, Nov 22nd, and yesterday we set a new
>>record for wettest single month ever. In Seattle, anyway.
>>

> I'm on the southeastern edge of Lake Michigan and as soon as it cools
> off for winter...the real cold stuff...we won't see the sun. Typically
> that's starting in a couple weeks and lasting until February, right
> along the lake. We get snow instead of rain. Sometimes lots of snow.
> This has been a very wet second half of the year here as well.

In that case, clean the cooler out with anti-bacterial dishsoap and a
little bleach, rinse well and place (open) in front of a fan to dry out.

Kathleen
In that case I'd clean the cooler out with

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Kevin S. Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 17:49:09 GMT, Eddie >
> wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 15:22:35 -0500, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>>>But also read the label of the chicken, turkey, or whatever,
>>>that you buy. Quite a few already contain a "salt solution",
>>>in which case additional brining wouldn't be a good thing.
>>>

>>Steve, here is what is on the label of my butterball:
>>"Contains up to 7% of a solution to enhance juiciness and tenderness
>>of water, salt, modified food starch, sodium phosphates and natural
>>flavors."
>>
>>Now, based on that, do you think I need to brine, or not?

> No. It's already been brined.

I bought a fresh 12.5 lb turkey yesterday Never frozen, not injected,
soaked, or otherwise processed. My intent is to to brine it (approx
9-10 hrs), stuff it with heated dressing and roast it.

The butcher worked hard to sell me on a self-basting frozen bird (free
with $50 purchase!). He claimed that the gal from their Cooking School
had purchased a self-basting Butterball for brining. I hope he's
mistaken. Geeze. Got sodium?

Kathleen

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 00:03:47 -0800, Denny Wheeler
> wrote:

>On 21 Nov 2006 06:01:05 -0800, "JohnO" > wrote:
>

>>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>>> On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 14:14:55 -0600, Kathleen

>>> Obviously Kathleen does *not* live in Western Washington.
>>> We'd need a different technique here.
>>>

>>Are you saying that you're stuck where the sun don't shine?

>That's about right. Especially it don't shine in November. It's--as
>I type--just past midnight, Nov 22nd, and yesterday we set a new
>record for wettest single month ever. In Seattle, anyway.
>
>-denny-

Delete rain. Substitute snow! Yikes!

Harry
posing from Ice Station Calgary