Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Austin, TX BBQ?

We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec. Any
suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on the Hill
one night.

John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Hi John:

You'll be in hog heaven in Longhorn country in Austin. I lived there
for many years, many years ago. Your best bet is to ask the locals
when you get there. But, be sure to include the Salt Lick, in Dripping
Springs just west of Austin, and Threadgill's on South Lamar, just
across the river. The Iron Works is pretty much downtown, and not as
good as it was...or so I hear.

You'll have fun never the less. If you get the chance, try Cooper's in
Llano, here's their website http://www.coopersbbq.com/. It's about 60
or so miles NW of Austin, but worth the trip.

Prosit,
A.C. in Houston

wrote:
> We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec. Any
> suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on the Hill
> one night.
>
> John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

How about the turkey, sausage and ribs at Rudy's? I keep their "Sause"
in the refrigerator 24/7. We're coming down to Austin in a couple weeks
and as always, I plan on filling up at Rudy's. BTW, I understand your
comments about hangings on the wall, but I still think that the best hot
links are at County Line. When we go there, I plan to order just the
hot link appetizer and eat them with that incredible bread they serve.

Like my son, our granddaughter's first taste of real food was a rib bone
with just a little meat left on it for her to gnaw on. She was eating
guacamole before she was eating baby food, also.

Nonny

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrob...id=oid%3A83560

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
>> But, be sure to include the Salt Lick, in Dripping
>> Springs just west of Austin, and Threadgill's on South Lamar, just
>> across the river.
>>

> Threadgills for BBQ? Speaking of "average Austinite", they don't
> even have BBQ. Maybe you're thinking of Hoover's.

I've been away from Austin for about 10 years now... but I remember
Threadgills being way north of the river on North Lamar. And not having
BBQ. Still, the place has memories for me, more than the Stallion ever
did. I counted the days after the fire until the reopened... in a tent.

There was some talk about them taking over the kitchen at Scholtz
Garden, and I thought they tried to have one in south Austin, but it had
died.

So.. how many Threadgill's are there now, and where are they?

My memory is faded, but they had the second best chicken fried steak at
that time.... Virginia's near St. Ed's was the best. However, she was
80 some-odd years old, so when you went there, you'd best not be in a
hurry. Or need to use the restroom (no restrooms for customers.) I do
hope Threadgills is still OK.

Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:

> Speaking of County Line, they're venturing into Italian now, and
> starting work on their "Cannoli Joes All You Can Eat Italian
> Feast" in Sunset Valley (Austin). The building looks pretty
> phoney according to the blueprints - a Venetian street complete
> with fake doors and windows.

Our Austin son is a fanatic about Chuey's, also. We've been to their
place where they're trying the Hawaiian fusion thing, and it's interesting.
--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 12:21:33 -0700, Mike Avery wrote:
>

>> There was some talk about them taking over the kitchen at Scholtz
>> Garden, and I thought they tried to have one in south Austin, but it had
>> died.
>>

> Scholz Garden is now owned by Green Mesquite - another BBQ joint
> in town. I think that happened maybe 5 years ago. GM is just an
> OK BBQ place. Everything I've sampled has been pretty dry,
> though. They have good sauce though, perfect for making BBQ
> Chipped Ham Sandwiches.

If Green Mesquite is OK, they've gotten better. When I left town, they
were pretty smokeless and tasteless. Just in case I have my wires
crossed... didn't they used to advertise "Bubbaque"?

This thread got me going down memory lane. There used to be a guy who
had a trailer and a smoker out on 620 near Parmer Lane. He started
making money and bought a place called "The Boneyard" if memory serves.
Sadly, the place he bought had a bad reputation, and it is REALLY hard
to get someone to come back to a place once they've been turned off to
it. The owner did a commercial for Tide. He's not in the phone book,
as far as I can tell. If you have any idea what happened to the place,
I'd be delighted to hear.

And then there's a place that was on Burleson just off Ben White. The
phone book says it's Vic's barbecue now. Not sure if it is the same
place, or the same owner. At that time - around 10 or 12 years ago -
the owner did OK ribs and brisket, but his chicken was just fantastic.
I wasn't crazy about his sausage. He never had pork sausage - or any
pork at all for that matter. When he was closed for Yom Kippur that
mystery was unraveled. It was pretty decent then. Again, if you have
any information about what its like today, that'd make my day.

Have fun,
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

While it's not barbecue, the Catfish House there in Austin has some
really decent food.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 04:06:12 GMT, > wrote:

>We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec. Any
>suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on the Hill
>one night.
>
>John

One word:

Lockhart.

-Chef Juke
"EVERYbody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
www.chefjuke.com
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Yeah Mike, dunno what I was thinking about, putting Threadgills on S.
Lamar. I musta been thinking about the Broken Spoke. Still recovering
from jet lag here from last week.

Anyway, my friend Paul, in W. Lake Hills keeps us up on the good "q"
places.

Prosit,
A.C. in Houston

Mike Avery wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
> >> But, be sure to include the Salt Lick, in Dripping
> >> Springs just west of Austin, and Threadgill's on South Lamar, just
> >> across the river.
> >>

> > Threadgills for BBQ? Speaking of "average Austinite", they don't
> > even have BBQ. Maybe you're thinking of Hoover's.
> >

> I've been away from Austin for about 10 years now... but I remember
> Threadgills being way north of the river on North Lamar. And not having
> BBQ. Still, the place has memories for me, more than the Stallion ever
> did. I counted the days after the fire until the reopened... in a tent.
>
> There was some talk about them taking over the kitchen at Scholtz
> Garden, and I thought they tried to have one in south Austin, but it had
> died.
>
> So.. how many Threadgill's are there now, and where are they?
>
> My memory is faded, but they had the second best chicken fried steak at
> that time.... Virginia's near St. Ed's was the best. However, she was
> 80 some-odd years old, so when you went there, you'd best not be in a
> hurry. Or need to use the restroom (no restrooms for customers.) I do
> hope Threadgills is still OK.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> ...The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
> system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...
>
> Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
> part time baker ICQ 16241692
> networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
> wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 9 Nov 2006 07:21:24 -0800, "
> wrote:

>Yeah Mike, dunno what I was thinking about, putting Threadgills on S.
>Lamar. I musta been thinking about the Broken Spoke. Still recovering
>from jet lag here from last week.
>
>Anyway, my friend Paul, in W. Lake Hills keeps us up on the good "q"
>places.

See if he can also explain to you why top-posting and full-quoting is
rude and lazy.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks for the catch. It's Catfish Parlor. Sorry. Their fritters and
dips are tops.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I just returned from a couple of days in Austin. I was wholly unimpressed
with the brisket sandwich I had at the Ironworks downtown.

I know a lot of folks here don't care for it, but I have never had a meal at
County Line that I didn't enjoy... and the 2 locations in Austin are some of
the most scenic.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I have made a list and will
see what we can do about making several of the places.

We are hosting a Wedding Rehearsal dinner at County Line for our son and
daughter-in-law. They are getting married before he heads, for the second
time, over to the "big sandbox" for a year in January. His future in-laws
suggested it to us when they found out that we like BBQ. Will have to see
how it rates with mine in CA!

Thanks again,

John
> wrote in message
. com...
> We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec.
> Any suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on
> the Hill one night.
>
> John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2006-11-09 13:41:06 -0600, Nonnymus > said:

> Thanks for the catch. It's Catfish Parlor. Sorry. Their fritters and
> dips are tops.

They're reel tasty.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 2006-11-07 22:06:12 -0600, > said:

> We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec.
> Any suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on
> the Hill one night.
>
> John

- County Line has good bread and decent beef ribs, but it's not one of
my favorites.
- Artz Rib House serves really great ribs, but Wertz apparently got
shafted a couple of times by being served the wrong kind. If you get
the right ones, with the loin attached, you'll be impressed.
- Rudy's is the best fast-food BBQ you will ever have. I eat there
regularly. Good, consistent brisket and great sauce.
- The first BBQ I ever ate in Texas was BBQ World Headquarters. I loved
the place, especially the owner "Duke." I think they closed down
though, but if not, you should check it out.
- If you are there on a Sunday, you must go to Stubb's. They have a
gospel brunch buffet that will blow you away. I'm not a religious man
myself, but there's something about good Southern gospel and BBQ that
works. They also have excellent sauce.
- A lot of people like Sam's, but I think it's outright creepy that
they serve drinks from bottles that have already been opened.
- Don't even think about going to Poke-e-Jo's. That's just crap.
- Ruby's (as opposed to Rudy's) is pretty good, but a lot more Emo than
you would expect a BBQ joint to be.
- Mann's is barely acceptable.
- A lot of people like Salt Lick, but IMO it's just too far away to be
worth it.
- Salt Lick 360 gets their BBQ from Driftwood, except you eat it on a
white tablecloth and fine china. Weird.
- Salt Lick at the airport is horrible. Don't try it. The cuts sit
around too long and the servers absolutely slather your plate in sickly
sauce.
- Harlon's at the airport isn't much better. Don't eat BBQ at the airport.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2006 11:11:42 -0800, Pierre wrote:
>
> > If it's not too cold, spend one late afternoon at the
> > Oasis on lake Travis, ... a cool one, and a cool
> > sunset.

> And bring your own food, because theirs sucks. It *is* a nice
> view, though.
>
> -sw

Steve, you'll notice I didn't mention the food. Thanks for reading
between the lines.

Pierre

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Just remember the BBQ rule: The worse a place looks on the outside, the
better the food inside.

wrote:
> We are going to be spending a few days in Austin the first part of Dec. Any
> suggestions on places to eat? I know we are going to County Line on the Hill
> one night.
>
> John

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 03:42:19 -0600, Hal Burton >
wrote:

>Don't eat BBQ at the airport.

^^^

You misplet "any."

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Given the choice of barbecue at the Austin airport, Harlon's is head and
shoulders above Salt Lick, IMHO. It isn't "great," but it's better than
that Chinese place or Schlotsky's, IMHO. I'll be trying some out in a
couple weeks.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

I'd not thought of that. Maybe we'll pack a sandwich from the kids'
place. Thanks for the tip.

Nonny

--
---Nonnymus---
In the periodic table, as in politics,
the unstable elements tend to hang out on
the far left, with some to the right as well.

Fun in Austin Villanueva General Cooking 0 25-10-2015 12:49 AM
Fun in Austin Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 0 24-10-2015 03:49 PM
So, I went to Austin picz77 Barbecue 4 30-10-2008 05:07 AM
anyone been to austin TXZZ Sushi 2 22-10-2005 05:15 AM
Roy's - in Austin,TX berry Restaurants 5 06-03-2004 08:25 PM