Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.food.barbecue,alt.usage.english

Default The pitcher had water in...

> Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:
>
> "The pitcher had water in...."
>
> My intuition would be to state that as:
>
> "The pitcher had water in it...."
>
> Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Why is this any different from "teh pitcher had a frame on...."

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.food.barbecue,alt.usage.english

Dan Krueger wrote:

>> Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:
>>
>> "The pitcher had water in...."
>>
>> My intuition would be to state that as:
>>
>> "The pitcher had water in it...."

Yours is a good intuition.

>> Is the "it" really unnecessary?

Yes.

> Why is this any different from "teh pitcher had a frame on...."

That expression makes no sense to me (even ignoring the typo). There's an
"it" missing.

--
Skitt
Living in The Heart of the Bay

Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.food.barbecue,alt.usage.english

"Skitt" answers a question:

>>> Lately I've heard constructions of the following form:
>>>
>>> "The pitcher had water in...."
>>>
>>> My intuition would be to state that as:
>>>
>>> "The pitcher had water in it...."

> Yours is a good intuition.

>>> Is the "it" really unnecessary?

> Yes.

This seems contradictory.

If I'm saying this, I find the "it" necessary. But there are many similar
constructs where the analogous word isn't necessary ("a woman with a nice
dress on"), so I don't think it's surprising that some people would prefer
not to use it here.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I don't have a life; I have a program." --the Doctor
| (Michael Piller, Star Trek: Voyager, "Tattoo")
Posted to alt.english.usage,alt.food.barbecue,alt.usage.english

Mark Brader wrote:
> "Skitt" answers a question:

>> Yours is a good intuition.

>> Yes.

> This seems contradictory.
>
> If I'm saying this, I find the "it" necessary. But there are many
> similar constructs where the analogous word isn't necessary ("a woman
> with a nice dress on"), so I don't think it's surprising that some
> people would prefer not to use it here.

Omigosh -- I misread the "unnecessary" as "necessary". My apologies. I
must have experienced a senior moment. In the pitcher sentence, the "it" is
necessary.
--
Skitt
getting old