Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default smoke generator on my smoker...?

Hi Smoker Folks:

Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
the smoke ring is established...?

If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
what you use? Thanks!

Ronnie

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ronnie wrote:
> Hi Smoker Folks:
>
> Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
> for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
> the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
> want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
> the smoke ring is established...?
>
> If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
> what you use? Thanks!
>
> Ronnie

I'm a little confused. What kind of equipment are you using?

I just toss the wood on the lump charcoal. I'm wondering if
you're using a gasser maybe?

I don't smoke on my gasser, a friend of mine has the same
grill that I do (Weber Silver B) and he has the smoke box
attachment for it. He uses it and produces some decent
results on turkeys, etc...

I usually smoke put wood chunks in initially and then don't
worry about it. YMMV

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ronnie wrote:
> Hi Smoker Folks:
>
> Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
> for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
> the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
> want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
> the smoke ring is established...?
>
> If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
> what you use? Thanks!

The original way is to..... burn wood. Using chips is an afterthought
as less smoke producing heat sources became more common. Many faux cue
places just use gas or electricity and skip the chips too.

An offset smoker is a lot like what you are talking about.

While it is said that there is no increase in smokiness after an hour or
two, there is also no reason to stop using smoke. It does no harm. My
own feeling is that there is a difference, and the 'cue is better for
having stayed in smoke for the whole cooking period. I have cut off
pieces of various things I've barbecued as they cooked, and they kept
getting better and better as they got smokier... well past the 2 or 3
hour point. However, you get as many opinions around here as there are
speakers. If you want another example of this, look up the effect of
bark on taste.

Mike

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Ronnie" > wrote:
> Hi Smoker Folks:
>
> Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
> for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
> the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
> want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
> the smoke ring is established...?
>
> If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
> what you use? Thanks!

We used to use smoke generators when we were working on the bee hives,
adding sections, stealing honey, etc.

http://www.ehow.com/buy_3942_bee-smoker.html

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Ronnie wrote:

> Hi Smoker Folks:
>
> Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
> for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
> the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
> want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
> the smoke ring is established...?
>
> If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
> what you use? Thanks!

For hot smoking don't use a smoke generator. Keep working on your
cooking technique for that. If chips aren't working for you, try
using chunks instead. Wrap them in foil and put them close to
the heat source.

As far as how long to put smoke on the food, it varies with
the type of food, and more importantly, your personal taste.
The type of smoke is important, though. You want it to be
light and wispy, not heavy and billowing. Heavy smoke contains
soot and other crud.

Generators are for cold smoking. In case you're still interested,
here's one of the best available. It does amazing things in
the cold smoking realm.

<http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sm-bradley-smoker-smoke-generator-c-w-adapter--pi-2113015.html>

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Ronnie wrote:
>> Hi Smoker Folks:
>>
>> Ponderin me a thought. Any of you used an add-on type smoke generator
>> for your smoker, as opposed to putting chips in the pan and doing it
>> the original way? If I understand it correctly, when smoking I don't
>> want continous smoke for the full duration, just an hour or two until
>> the smoke ring is established...?
>>
>> If you do use a generator, can you point me in the right direction of
>> what you use? Thanks!
>>
>> Ronnie
>>

> I'm a little confused. What kind of equipment are you using?
> I just toss the wood on the lump charcoal. I'm wondering if you're using
> a gasser maybe?
>
> I don't smoke on my gasser, a friend of mine has the same grill that I
> do (Weber Silver B) and he has the smoke box attachment for it. He uses
> it and produces some decent results on turkeys, etc...
>
> I usually smoke put wood chunks in initially and then don't worry about
> it. YMMV

I've been looking at the possibility of adding a smoke box to my Gen-B.
Was thinking that I could hook it up through a pipe to the area on the
bottom that is open for the drip pan, below the gas bars. Make the box
so it fits between the legs of the unit and it would give me another
surface to smoke on and would allow an item to be smoked for a couple
hours then final cooked using just the gas after you hit the amount of
flavor you like. Just the thing for doing a bird or fish and smaller
items without firing up the big smoker.

Am I nuts or what? Thoughts?

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve W. wrote:

> I've been looking at the possibility of adding a smoke box to my Gen-B.
> Was thinking that I could hook it up through a pipe to the area on the
> bottom that is open for the drip pan, below the gas bars. Make the box
> so it fits between the legs of the unit and it would give me another
> surface to smoke on and would allow an item to be smoked for a couple
> hours then final cooked using just the gas after you hit the amount of
> flavor you like. Just the thing for doing a bird or fish and smaller
> items without firing up the big smoker.
>
> Am I nuts or what? Thoughts?

I use my genesis to smoke stuff. It will keep a steady 250 F
with smoke without modifications. You need to work on your
technique, your equipment is fine.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the possibility of adding a smoke box to my
>> Gen-B. Was thinking that I could hook it up through a pipe to the
>> area on the bottom that is open for the drip pan, below the gas bars.
>> Make the box so it fits between the legs of the unit and it would give
>> me another surface to smoke on and would allow an item to be smoked
>> for a couple hours then final cooked using just the gas after you hit
>> the amount of flavor you like. Just the thing for doing a bird or fish
>> and smaller items without firing up the big smoker.
>>
>> Am I nuts or what? Thoughts?
>>

> I use my genesis to smoke stuff. It will keep a steady 250 F
> with smoke without modifications. You need to work on your
> technique, your equipment is fine.

I did that for a while on my Silver B. It is do-able. I had
to put a red patio brick on the grate to keep the lid open
somewhat and I only could use one burner set to around low
if I remember right. If you're doing ribs, butts, etc clean
out the bottom of the unit often. Failure to do so can
result in a pretty spectacular grease fire. Don't ask me how
I know that. ;-)

I just used the pan method until I decided that I should
probably have a piece of equipment that was made for the job
and bought the WSM.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:
> Reg wrote:
> I did that for a while on my Silver B. It is do-able. I had to put a
> red patio brick on the grate to keep the lid open somewhat and I only
> could use one burner set to around low if I remember right. If you're
> doing ribs, butts, etc clean out the bottom of the unit often. Failure
> to do so can result in a pretty spectacular grease fire. Don't ask me
> how I know that. ;-)
>
> I just used the pan method until I decided that I should probably have a
> piece of equipment that was made for the job and bought the WSM.

Oh, and for the price of the Bradley that someone posted you
could buy a WSM and be able to grill veggies or whatever
while you've got a smoke going.
--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>> Reg wrote:
>> I did that for a while on my Silver B. It is do-able. I had to put a red
>> patio brick on the grate to keep the lid open somewhat and I only could
>> use one burner set to around low if I remember right. If you're doing
>> ribs, butts, etc clean out the bottom of the unit often. Failure to do so
>> can result in a pretty spectacular grease fire. Don't ask me how I know
>> that. ;-)
>>
>> I just used the pan method until I decided that I should probably have a
>> piece of equipment that was made for the job and bought the WSM.
>>

> Oh, and for the price of the Bradley that someone posted you could buy a
> WSM and be able to grill veggies or whatever while you've got a smoke
> going.

But you couldn't hook the WSM up to an old working fridge like you can the
Bradley generator and produce perfect cold-smoked salmon and scallops. I
think the best thing about smoked scallops is mopping up the butter you fry
them in with a nice piece of crusty bread.BTW, I love my WSM. I just cooked
two six pound pork butts and a lamb shoulder last night, but I got to give
the Bradley its due here. I'm thinking about cold smoking duck breast before
before stuffing and baking them and then crisping their skin in the
salamander for serving.
> --
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

D. Winsor wrote:

> But you couldn't hook the WSM up to an old working fridge like you can the
> Bradley generator and produce perfect cold-smoked salmon and scallops. I
> think the best thing about smoked scallops is mopping up the butter you fry
> them in with a nice piece of crusty bread.BTW, I love my WSM. I just cooked
> two six pound pork butts and a lamb shoulder last night, but I got to give
> the Bradley its due here. I'm thinking about cold smoking duck breast before
> before stuffing and baking them and then crisping their skin in the
> salamander for serving.

Very true, but the OP was talking about hooking up to a Gen.
Silver B, not for using as a cold smoker. For a cold
smoker, I'd suggest the Lil Chief as an inexpensive unit
unless you're going to do large amounts.
http://www.jtbuckonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=182

I use it all the time. For the money it does a nice job of
cold smoking.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve W. wrote:
>
>> I've been looking at the possibility of adding a smoke box to my
>> Gen-B. Was thinking that I could hook it up through a pipe to the
>> area on the bottom that is open for the drip pan, below the gas bars.
>> Make the box so it fits between the legs of the unit and it would give
>> me another surface to smoke on and would allow an item to be smoked
>> for a couple hours then final cooked using just the gas after you hit
>> the amount of flavor you like. Just the thing for doing a bird or fish
>> and smaller items without firing up the big smoker.
>>
>> Am I nuts or what? Thoughts?
>>

> I use my genesis to smoke stuff. It will keep a steady 250 F
> with smoke without modifications. You need to work on your
> technique, your equipment is fine.

I have smoked with it in the same way. Just thinking an add on would
give me more smoke for better results on some items. I already have a
large smoker (did 160 pounds of jerky since Friday) Just thinking about
something smaller for the occasional salmon or trout when I don't need
all the room

--
Steve W.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Oh, and for the price of the Bradley that someone posted you could buy a
> WSM and be able to grill veggies or whatever while you've got a smoke
> going.

Context, dude. The Bradley reference was about cold smoking.
It's not like that wasn't made clear.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Oh, and for the price of the Bradley that someone posted you could buy
>> a WSM and be able to grill veggies or whatever while you've got a
>> smoke going.

> Context, dude. The Bradley reference was about cold smoking.
> It's not like that wasn't made clear.

Read dude, the op's question was *not* about cold smoking

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>
>>> Oh, and for the price of the Bradley that someone posted you could
>>> buy a WSM and be able to grill veggies or whatever while you've got a
>>> smoke going.

>> Context, dude. The Bradley reference was about cold smoking.
>> It's not like that wasn't made clear.
>>

> Read dude, the op's question was *not* about cold smoking

You'rs a ****ing idiot.

He asked about smoke generators. The Bradley is a smoke
generator.

Duh.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

**** off asshole, he *ASKED* about a unit to hook to a
****ING GAS WEBER GEN. SILVER B ... ****ing retard

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> **** off asshole, he *ASKED* about a unit to hook to a ****ING GAS WEBER
> GEN. SILVER B ... ****ing retard

He asked about smoke generators. Have you read the subject
line yet, Einstein?

I correctly pointed out that smoke generators are only
applicable to cold smoking.

You then, in your pathetic, uneducated manner, made an
apples-and-oranges comparison between a Bradley smoke
generator and a WSM.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Nothing

Welcome to the plonkfile asshole. I've been trying not to,
but you're beyond help. I didn't start this personal
attack, you did. I'm ashamed that I actually got caught up
in an exchange with you. It won't happen again.

Go tell your Mommie that she wants you. Hopefully she'll
believe you.

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin wrote:

> Welcome to the plonkfile asshole. I've been trying not to, but you're
> beyond help. I didn't start this personal attack, you did. I'm ashamed
> that I actually got caught up in an exchange with you. It won't happen
> again.

Not that you're bright enough to figure it out, but your mistake
was putting words in my mouth. Do that and expect to get bitch
slapped.

> Go tell your Mommie that she wants you. Hopefully she'll believe you.

How clever.

--
Reg

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Reg wrote:
> Steve Calvin wrote:
>
>> Welcome to the plonkfile asshole. I've been trying not to, but you're
>> beyond help. I didn't start this personal attack, you did. I'm
>> ashamed that I actually got caught up in an exchange with you. It
>> won't happen again.

> Not that you're bright enough to figure it out, but your mistake
> was putting words in my mouth. Do that and expect to get bitch
> slapped.
>
>> Go tell your Mommie that she wants you. Hopefully she'll believe you.

> How clever.

well, I had to cook dinner and didn't get to the filter.

Actually, after reading this post I went back and re-read
the thread.

It seems that you're correct and that I did miss-read,
miss-interpret, whatever, your replies.

I stand corrected, withdraw my comments and apologize.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Denny Wheeler wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:34:15 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
>> Steve Calvin wrote:

> Boys, boys. If you really gotta be like this, I'm sure KSW's still
> around as a handy target.
>
> You're both right, and both wrong. Now go eat some Q and hush up,
> hear?
>
> -denny-

Agreed, which is why I apologized. 'nuf said I reckon. ;-D

Speaking of Q. I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich at the
Hudson Valley Garlic Festival yesterday. The sauce on it was
absolutely fantastic.

I can't figure out what it was and naturally, they wouldn't
tell me. It wasn't your normal vinegar or sugar based sauce
but MAN was it good.

The garlic ice cream was very tasty too. Didn't really get
much of the garlic flavor after tasting some Music and
Spanish Raijo garlic raw though. ;-D

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:33:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Reg wrote:
>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>

>Actually, after reading this post I went back and re-read
>the thread.
>
>It seems that you're correct and that I did miss-read,
>miss-interpret, whatever, your replies.
>
>I stand corrected, withdraw my comments and apologize.

Well, Hoorah! It is nice to see someone with enough stones to stand up
and say 'I misread; I was incorrect; you're right; I'm sorry'.

A tip o'the Stetson to you, Sir.

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:34:15 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>>
>>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>> Boys, boys. If you really gotta be like this, I'm sure KSW's still
>> around as a handy target.
>>
>> You're both right, and both wrong. Now go eat some Q and hush up,
>> hear?
>>
>> -denny-

> Agreed, which is why I apologized. 'nuf said I reckon. ;-D
>
> Speaking of Q. I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich at the Hudson Valley
> Garlic Festival yesterday. The sauce on it was absolutely fantastic.
>
> I can't figure out what it was and naturally, they wouldn't tell me. It
> wasn't your normal vinegar or sugar based sauce but MAN was it good.

I've been experimenting with local honey in the classic Carolina sauce I do
with pulled pork. Perhaps it was honey that made the difference.

I just had a smoked lamb shoulder sandwich with a dijon, red wine and very
herby sauce. I used turbinado sugar, ground bay leaf, caraway seed, fresh
basil, whole chilies, garlic and a little oregano. The lamb had 3/4 inch
smoke ring made with hickory and cherry. I only ate an hour ago and I'm
still drooling whilst writing this description.

> The garlic ice cream was very tasty too. Didn't really get much of the
> garlic flavor after tasting some Music and Spanish Raijo garlic raw
> though. ;-D
>
> --
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:33:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > wrote:
>
>> Reg wrote:
>>> Steve Calvin wrote:
>>>

>> Actually, after reading this post I went back and re-read
>> the thread.
>>
>> It seems that you're correct and that I did miss-read,
>> miss-interpret, whatever, your replies.
>>
>> I stand corrected, withdraw my comments and apologize.

> Well, Hoorah! It is nice to see someone with enough stones to stand up
> and say 'I misread; I was incorrect; you're right; I'm sorry'.
>
> A tip o'the Stetson to you, Sir.
>
> Harry

Thanks Harry. Coming from you that's sincerely appreciated.

--
Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Sauce: Was: smoke generator on my smoker...?

D. Winsor wrote:
>> Speaking of Q. I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich at the Hudson Valley
>> Garlic Festival yesterday. The sauce on it was absolutely fantastic.
>>
>> I can't figure out what it was and naturally, they wouldn't tell me. It
>> wasn't your normal vinegar or sugar based sauce but MAN was it good.

> I've been experimenting with local honey in the classic Carolina sauce I do
> with pulled pork. Perhaps it was honey that made the difference.
>
> I just had a smoked lamb shoulder sandwich with a dijon, red wine and very
> herby sauce. I used turbinado sugar, ground bay leaf, caraway seed, fresh
> basil, whole chilies, garlic and a little oregano. The lamb had 3/4 inch
> smoke ring made with hickory and cherry. I only ate an hour ago and I'm
> still drooling whilst writing this description.

I don't know. I pride myself on being able to "finger"
ingredients at restaurants but this one I just couldn't get
much of a clue.

Definately had garlic, onion, and mustard. There was just a
hint of "sweet". Could have been a touch of honey I suppose.

We're not partial to lamb but I may play with your
ingredients, ifn you don't mind. ;-D What kind of chilies
did you use? With that mixture, I'm thinking poblanos?

Ground bay leaf is a new one on me, never heard of it being
used that way before, but I'll try most anything once. :-D

--
Steve
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Harry Demidavicius > wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2006 22:39:23 GMT, wrote:
> [ . . .. ]
> >We used to use smoke generators when we were working on the bee hives,
> >adding sections, stealing honey, etc.

http://www.ehow.com/buy_3942_bee-smoker.html

> Nick! You stole Honey, you Goniff! ;o)

Abi gezunt, alter kakher! ;-)

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Steve Calvin > wrote:
> Harry Demidavicius wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:33:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
> > > wrote:

> >> Actually, after reading this post I went back and re-read
> >> the thread.
> >>
> >> It seems that you're correct and that I did miss-read,
> >> miss-interpret, whatever, your replies.
> >>
> >> I stand corrected, withdraw my comments and apologize.

> > Well, Hoorah! It is nice to see someone with enough stones to stand up
> > and say 'I misread; I was incorrect; you're right; I'm sorry'.
> >
> > A tip o'the Stetson to you, Sir.
> >
> > Harry

> Thanks Harry. Coming from you that's sincerely appreciated.

Harry's Stetson (size 8-1/2 = 27" C):

http://www.mountiestore.com/products/item12.htm

~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 19:39:04 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>Denny Wheeler wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:34:15 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>>
>>> Steve Calvin wrote:

>> Boys, boys. If you really gotta be like this, I'm sure KSW's still
>> around as a handy target.
>>
>> You're both right, and both wrong. Now go eat some Q and hush up,
>> hear?
>>
>> -denny-

>Agreed, which is why I apologized. 'nuf said I reckon. ;-D
>
>Speaking of Q. I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich at the

I read that - isn't it nice to be able to buy something and have it
taste as good as your anticipation of it . .

Harry
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 18:33:42 -0400, Steve Calvin
> wrote:

>I stand corrected, withdraw my comments and apologize.

Sorry, but that is impossible, if not inconceivable. This is the
Usernet (tm), after all.

--
If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace, but we
would be hollow. Empty rooms, shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Steve Calvin" > wrote in message
> D. Winsor wrote:
>>> Speaking of Q. I had a fantastic pulled pork sandwich at the Hudson
>>> Valley Garlic Festival yesterday. The sauce on it was absolutely
>>> fantastic.
>>>
>>> I can't figure out what it was and naturally, they wouldn't tell me. It
>>> wasn't your normal vinegar or sugar based sauce but MAN was it good.

>> I've been experimenting with local honey in the classic Carolina sauce I
>> do with pulled pork. Perhaps it was honey that made the difference.
>>
>> I just had a smoked lamb shoulder sandwich with a dijon, red wine and
>> very herby sauce. I used turbinado sugar, ground bay leaf, caraway seed,
>> fresh basil, whole chilies, garlic and a little oregano. The lamb had
>> 3/4 inch smoke ring made with hickory and cherry. I only ate an hour ago
>> and I'm still drooling whilst writing this description.

> I don't know. I pride myself on being able to "finger" ingredients at
> restaurants but this one I just couldn't get much of a clue.
>
> Definately had garlic, onion, and mustard. There was just a hint of
> "sweet". Could have been a touch of honey I suppose.

Are you sure it wasn't a fruit based sauce? I make one based off of peach
juice that has the sweetness, but isn't real easy to tell where it came
from.

> We're not partial to lamb but I may play with your ingredients, ifn you
> don't mind. ;-D What kind of chilies did you use? With that mixture, I'm
> thinking poblanos?
>
> Ground bay leaf is a new one on me, never heard of it being used that way
> before, but I'll try most anything once. :-D
>

> --
> Steve

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

43fan wrote:

> Are you sure it wasn't a fruit based sauce? I make one based off of peach
> juice that has the sweetness, but isn't real easy to tell where it came
> from.

You could very well be right. It was one of those things
that just wasn't "place-able". I've been trying and trying
to identify what it was, but have gone to "give up". ;-(

--
Steve