FoodBanter.com

-   -   Nashville reports #2 & #3 and #4 (https://www.foodbanter.com/barbecue/101990-nashville-reports-2-3-a.html)

Chef Juke[_1_] 22-09-2006 11:49 PM

Nashville reports #2 & #3 and #4

Hey all,

So, we got here on Wednesday and went to Jack's BBq on Trinity lane
and had a pretty good meal.

Yesterday when we got done with customer visits we went looking for a
sit-down bbq joint. Passed on Whitts and two others were closed.

We ended up at Cantrell's on Lischey. They had a minimal sit down
area and I had Ribs with turnip greens and cole slaw.

Healthy portion of ribs with good smoke and pretty tender. not a lot
of spice rubbed in the ribs but all in all pretty good. The turnip
greens were bland and the cole slaw was okay but bland as well. All
in all I'd give them a B-

Next up was lunch today. Pops BBQ off of 28th avenue. I had heard
they had a good BBQ Goat sandwich so I headed over at lunch time to
try it. Unfortunately the goat wasn't ready yet....suggested I tried
back in 45 minutes..I did. Still wasn't done so I gave it another 45.
Then it was just ready so they made me a sandwich. Basic sandwich
with the goat served like pulled pork in a tasty vinegary-tomatoey
sauce. Not overly tomatoey and pretty tasty. I've smoked lamb but
this was my first BBQ goat. Not bad at all. Big juicy sandwich for
$3.55 without sides (I was saving myself for dinner.
I'd give it a B+

So now I am at BBQ Joint #4. It's a bit of a cheat because it's a
TEXAS bbq place in Nashville. Judge Beans.
Ordered the Brisket and Ribs combo with Cowboy beans and Cole slaw.

As I drove into the parking lot I saw 2 massive smokers out back with
the prerequisite wisps of smoke coming out of the biggest one.

Gotta say, that in terms of the BBQ and the sides this is the best
meal I've had so far, with Jack's being a close second

The Brisket was tender and had a good rub on it with a hint of
spiciness. The ribs were falling off the bone.

Sauces:
Their regular sauce had the consistency of ketchup. The flavor
bBegins with a bit of a vinegar hit on the tip of the toungue followed
by spice...Nice and spicy...not just hot but a good mix of spices in
the sauce....
The HOT sauce was a little thicker and had a bigger kick...defintely
more black pepper and some chili heat. again nice and spicy.

Cole slaw was great. Seemed fresh and not TOO anything. Usually I
find most restaurant's slaw too something. Too sweet, too vinegary,
to bland, too much dressing, too spicy. This one was just right.
mostly white cabbage with a touch of red cabbage and even lighter hit
of carrot. salt & pepper...and the dressing...hmm..could be
mayonnaise...or not...as it wasn't swimming in dressing it was hard to
tell but it definitely did not have an overwhelming mayo flavor like
some slaws.
Cowboy beans were kidneys

red beans...nice and spicy, chunks of meat, jalapeno and tomato.

Overall this meal was great. Everything was tasty and not toned down
for an average palate. The REGULAR sauce was what would have passed
for HOT at many other joints.

The only thing I could possibly put as a minus would be the portion
size (a bit smaller than the other joints) and the meat wasn't as hot
as I might like. But given that all of what I mentioned plus a beer
was $12 bux it was a pretty good deal.

I am gonna try to get out to Clarksville tomorrow (MonopTN - I'l give
you a call in the morning and see if your son has a game this week
too...)

-Chef Juke

-Chef Juke
"Everybody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

MonopTN 23-09-2006 08:33 PM

Nashville reports #2 & #3 and #4

Chef Juke wrote:
> [...]
> some slaws.
> Cowboy beans were kidneys
>

> red beans...nice and spicy, chunks of meat, jalapeno and tomato.
>
> Overall this meal was great. Everything was tasty and not toned down
> for an average palate. The REGULAR sauce was what would have passed
> for HOT at many other joints.
>
> The only thing I could possibly put as a minus would be the portion
> size (a bit smaller than the other joints) and the meat wasn't as hot
> as I might like. But given that all of what I mentioned plus a beer
> was $12 bux it was a pretty good deal.
>
> I am gonna try to get out to Clarksville tomorrow (MonopTN - I'l give
> you a call in the morning and see if your son has a game this week
> too...)
>
> -Chef Juke
>

> -Chef Juke
> "Everybody Eats When They Come To MY House!"

Chef Juke,

It was great meeting you today, thanks for driving to Clarksville for
some 'Q at Excell Grocery! I look forward to your review!

Monoptn

--
Greetings from the Hog and Hominy State!