Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Turkey Legs --- Recipe and Technique for smoking !!!

I've searched and searched but I can not find a recipe for smoked
"State Fair" style Turkey Legs. Brine like a full bird?, is there a
Southern Style?, Texmex Style? or just Cook like Chicken.
>From my experiences at Fairs it does't look like they are smoking too

long, its mainly foil roasted.

suggestions please.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"g.711" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I've searched and searched but I can not find a recipe for smoked
> "State Fair" style Turkey Legs. Brine like a full bird?, is there a
> Southern Style?, Texmex Style? or just Cook like Chicken.
>>From my experiences at Fairs it does't look like they are smoking too

> long, its mainly foil roasted.
>
> suggestions please.

Whenever I sell turkey legs I buy them already smoked for about a buck
apeice from a wholesaler---just reheat and sell--bet that is what those
folks at the fair do too!!

Buzz

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

g.711 wrote:
> I've searched and searched but I can not find a recipe for smoked
> "State Fair" style Turkey Legs.

Google is your friend.

Most of the stuff you find at state fairs is pre-processed and sold so
all the vendor needs to do is thaw and reheat. The good stuff survives
the process pretty well.

For people who want to do things right, there are other options.

Grilled turkey legs - http://bbq.about.com/cs/poultry/a/aa032903a.htm
Barbecued turkey legs - http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/r/bl30329b.htm
Soul food turkey legs -
http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/r/bl30329a.htm
Festival turkey legs -
http://bbq.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/r/bl30329c.htm (This supposed to
be like the ones sold at fairs)

Finally, gardenweb had a long thread about the topic at
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...4213659.html?4

Whether or not these are good recipes is, as always, open to debate.
However, they do provide a starting point. Sadly, the pre-boiled turkey
legs, barely browned on a grill and slathered with store bought barbecue
sauce is probably what is sold at most fairs.

Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvalds claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
part time baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM, yahoo and skype mavery81230
wordsmith

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Thanks Mike: I wanted receipes from this group not the WEB where you
have to sift through advertizements. I was looking for home made
suggestions so my searches have been contained to this group. But I
will give you links a run through when I can get a chance.

I saw turkey legs! Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 17-08-2013 07:31 PM
Turkey Legs Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 280 21-11-2011 09:30 PM
Turkey Legs Skylamar General Cooking 24 23-02-2011 05:50 AM
Turkey Legs Anonymous[_15_] Barbecue 1 08-05-2007 10:14 PM
Smoking Turkey Legs bbq Barbecue 2 21-12-2003 03:37 PM