Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Crabapple Wood? OK or Not OK to use when Smoking

I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Glen

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Glen S" > wrote in message
I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
tree down.

Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.

Thanks in advance for your feedback

It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree is
good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...

> "Glen S" > wrote in message
> I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
> tree down.
>
> Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?
>
> We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.
>
> Thanks in advance for your feedback
>

> It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree

is
> good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
> sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.

I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.

IMO, It's nigh impossible to differentiate any difference between crab apple
and eating apple wood.

Graeme

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.

I bet a lot of people may disagree with that

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Graeme...in London" > wrote in message

> "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> m...
>>
>> "Glen S" > wrote in message
>> I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the
>> tree down.
>>
>> Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?
>>
>> We really enjoy doing ribs, brisket & pork shoulder.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your feedback
>>

>> It has bee u sed. Rule of thumb is any fruit bearing or nut bearing tree

> is
>> good. Take a sliver and light it. Once it is burning, blow it out and
>> sniff the smoke. It should smell sweet enough to eat.
>>

> I've been using crab apple wood for a couple of years with no ill effects.
>
> IMO, It's nigh impossible to differentiate any difference between crab
> apple
> and eating apple wood.

So you're saying it tastes the same to smoke with crabapple as it does to
eat regular apple wood? I guess I could try it but doesn't the bark get
stuck between your teeth?

--
The Honorable Reverend Fosco Gamgee Whitfurrows
and his 6" Boner

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Glen S wrote:
> I just picked up some crabapple wood from my neighbor who was cutting the tree down.
>
> Is it worth the effort to cut & dry the wood for future smokings?

It is absolutely worth the effort. Crabapple wood is one of my
favourites. Take all you can.

Cam