Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Cake lacks aroma

I have just tried out baking a Black Forest Cake. The cake turned out
fine, with a nice, light chocolate aroma. I left it in the open
overnight, covered with a pan, and finished the frosting and filling
the next day. I have expected my cake to give a nice, strong aroma that
could be picked up from a distance, but it did not smell as nice as
those from bakery shops.

I wonder is it because of fresh cream and sugar syrup not strong
enough? I have brushed the cake layers with kirsch syrup, used black
cherries mixed with whipped cream for the fillings, and then frosted
the whole cake with whipped cream. For the syrup, I have mixed 3 tsp
kirsch flavour to 60g granulated sugar boiled in 125 ml water.

Should I have added 2 Tbsp of the flavour in the syrup? And should I
add kirsch flavour to the whipped cream to add more aroma?

Thanks for any comments/help.

Kim

Bread-like aroma Bill O'Meally Wine 5 29-01-2011 02:37 AM
Tea press aroma Space Cowboy Tea 0 15-12-2010 01:35 PM
Intoxicating aroma [email protected] Tea 1 30-01-2009 08:39 PM
What Penzey's lacks Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 21 08-05-2007 02:00 PM
low Sg in red wine kits....aroma Andy j. Winemaking 2 25-04-2005 04:02 PM