Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Portugese Broa

Worked on my first generation of a Portugese Broa (yeasted corn bread)
recipe this weekend - turned out pretty good! I'll probably continue
adjusting - I'd like to use more whole wheat without affecting the
texture of the bread too much, I may try some honey instead of sugar,
and I may try increase the amount of masa a little bit.

BTW, I have volume measurements for the flour written down, but I weigh
it out.

If I increase the amount of masa, would it pay to add baking soda and/or
baking powder, then decrease the amount of salt a little?

Anyone ever make this, and have any improvements to pass along?

Portuguese Broa

1 pkg dry yeast
1 2/3 c. warm water
2 T olive oil
1 t sugar
2 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. fine cornmeal or masa harina
1 1/2 t. salt

In large mixing bowl, sprinkle yeast over water and sugar; let stand 10
minutes. sift flours with cornmeal and salt. Gradually beat, then work
dry ingredients into yeast-water, adding a little more all-purpose flour
if necessary to make dough workable. With heavy-duty mixer with dough
hook, knead on low speed until smooth and elastic (or by hand). Turn
dough into clean bowl, cover with damp towel and let rise in electric
oven with light on until doubled.

Liberally grease a 9-inch cake pan; set aside. Punch dough down, turn
onto lightly floured surface ans shape into 7 inch round about 2 inches
thick. Place in center of prepared pan, brush with warm water and rise,
uncovered, until doubled in bulk.

Preheat oven to 375. Brush loaf again with warm water and bake on middle
shelf until well-browned and hollow-sounding, 45-50 min. Cool on rack.
To serve, cut loaf into quarters, then cut each quarter.

Pix Portugese Custard Tarts Bronwyn General Cooking 5 29-06-2007 04:33 PM
Portugese Sauerkraut Casserole Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 28-07-2006 04:21 AM
Broa Mona Sourdough 4 17-04-2006 01:19 PM
Portugese Pepper Michael Odom General Cooking 4 02-08-2004 11:34 PM
recipe for portugese buns anyone? TRIGGR Baking 0 11-12-2003 06:12 PM