Posted to rec.food.baking

Default bread remedy?

Looking for suggestions to fix a problem:

Got a new Viking stand mixer (great!). Tried out a two loaf batch of a
favorite bread I've been making by hand for years. The mixer did its
thing beautifully and the dough rose nicely (both times), but the baked
bread is kinda heavy compared to the result when I make it by hand.

What might be the problem? Not enough/too much flour? Too much/too
little mixing?

The texture of the dough wasn't quite the same - maybe not as "elastic"
(for lack of a better word). I followed the suggestions in the manual -
started on Mix speed, then kneaded on #2 speed for about 4 minutes.

Thanks for any help.

Argo

....Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

Posted to rec.food.baking

When I use a machine with a dough hook, I add all the wet ingredients, add a
little flour with the yeast (I use instant). I start to mix and keep adding
flour a bit at a time until it starts coming away from the bowl. Add almost
sprinkles after that, turning the machine off to test the moisture of the
dough. If it doesn't stick, the dough is ready. I know, it's better to
watch someone and get the feel, but it wouldn't hurt to try yourself.

In either case, it may be too much flour. Try the above, I use this method
with all my bread and roll recipes and never had a problem.

Glenn

"Argo" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Looking for suggestions to fix a problem:
>
> Got a new Viking stand mixer (great!). Tried out a two loaf batch of a
> favorite bread I've been making by hand for years. The mixer did its
> thing beautifully and the dough rose nicely (both times), but the baked
> bread is kinda heavy compared to the result when I make it by hand.
>
> What might be the problem? Not enough/too much flour? Too much/too
> little mixing?
>
> The texture of the dough wasn't quite the same - maybe not as "elastic"
> (for lack of a better word). I followed the suggestions in the manual -
> started on Mix speed, then kneaded on #2 speed for about 4 minutes.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> Argo
>
> ...Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Argo wrote:

> Looking for suggestions to fix a problem:
>
> Got a new Viking stand mixer (great!). Tried out a two loaf batch of a
> favorite bread I've been making by hand for years. The mixer did its
> thing beautifully and the dough rose nicely (both times), but the baked
> bread is kinda heavy compared to the result when I make it by hand.
>
> What might be the problem? Not enough/too much flour? Too much/too
> little mixing?
>
> The texture of the dough wasn't quite the same - maybe not as "elastic"
> (for lack of a better word). I followed the suggestions in the manual -
> started on Mix speed, then kneaded on #2 speed for about 4 minutes.

This is might one type of problem masquerading as another, i.e. it
might not be the mixing issue. Are you sure you didn't changing your
process in some other way?

What you describe sounds like the result of underproofing. Poke
the dough gently towards the end of the final rise and make sure
it's fully proofed. If it still feels very firm, let it rise
more. If it feels spongy, the hole stays and the bread "sighs"
slightly, it’s ready

Using the windowpane test as suggested would also be a good
idea.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

Chari wrote:

> I came in on this thread midway through, so apologies if I already
> missed it, but what is the "windowpane test"?

Bottom of this page:

http://www.shaboomskitchen.com/archi...ad/hearth.html

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

In article . edu>,
Chari > wrote:
= I came in on this thread midway through, so apologies if I already
= missed it, but what is the "windowpane test"?

Take a bit of the dough and stretch it as thin as you can without
it tearing. If it becomes translucent, it passes the windowpane
test.

--
Charlie Sorsby

Edgewood, NM 87015
USA

OT(?) Have A Natural Remedy For A Cough? Judy Haffner General Cooking 32 31-12-2012 09:26 PM
Burn Remedy gtr General Cooking 36 09-05-2012 11:19 PM
Homemade cough remedy Michael Horowitz General Cooking 27 20-02-2007 03:02 AM
bread remedy? GRS Inc. Baking 2 10-08-2006 06:24 PM
CuSO4 as a remedy for H2S smell? Ric Winemaking 14 12-11-2005 02:58 PM