FoodBanter.com

-   -   Can I make cookies from this? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/96310-can-i-make-cookies.html)

-L.[_2_] 15-07-2006 09:05 AM

Can I make cookies from this?

I made some frosting for a cake : 6 oz cream cheese, 6 oz butter, leon
extract, vanilla extract, a little milk and powdered sugar to "creamy"
consistency. I have half of it left. It's been in my fridge a week
- Can I make some cookies from it by adding a coulpe eggs, baking soda
and some flour? Any other suggestions?
TIA,
-L.

Wayne Boatwright[_1_] 15-07-2006 03:45 PM

Can I make cookies from this?

Oh pshaw, on Sat 15 Jul 2006 01:05:33a, -L. meant to say...

> I made some frosting for a cake : 6 oz cream cheese, 6 oz butter, leon
> extract, vanilla extract, a little milk and powdered sugar to "creamy"
> consistency. I have half of it left. It's been in my fridge a week
> - Can I make some cookies from it by adding a coulpe eggs, baking soda
> and some flour? Any other suggestions?
> TIA,
> -L.

I'm sure you probably could, but without knowing the proper proportions the
results will be unpredictable.

You should be able to freeze the frosting. When thawed, add a bit of cream
or milk and re-beat.

--
Wayne Boatwright

'Nothing is what it seems, all things are what
they are.'

Dave Bell 15-07-2006 05:30 PM

Can I make cookies from this?

-L. wrote:
> I made some frosting for a cake : 6 oz cream cheese, 6 oz butter, leon
> extract, vanilla extract, a little milk and powdered sugar to "creamy"
> consistency. I have half of it left. It's been in my fridge a week
> - Can I make some cookies from it by adding a coulpe eggs, baking soda
> and some flour? Any other suggestions?
> TIA,
> -L.

I make what I have finally accepted as a GREAT peanut butter cookie with
these proportions:

1/2 C (4 oz) peanut butter
1/2 C softened butter

1/2 C granulated sugar
1/2 C brown sugar

1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg

1 1/4 C flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

You have about 50% more fats, and a little milk, so I'd add:

1 egg

2 C flour (or a hair less. Say 250-275 grams)
3/4 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt (more, since you have no salty peanut butter)

Re-cream the frosting before adding the egg, and don't skimp on the
beating in the instructions below. I really think that is a large part
of what makes this basic recipe successful for me.
The consistency of the dough is quite soft, but it isn't sticky, so it
can be rolled into balls. If you flatten them, you don't have to worry
about them spreading a little. :{)

Cream the butters for 1 minute on medium-high speed.
Add sugars, egg and vanilla and mix at high speed for another minute.
Whisk the dry ingredients together and blend in at low speed.
Increase speed to medium and beat another minute.
Form into 1 inch balls, place on cookie sheet, and flatten with a fork,
dipped into granulated sugar.
Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

(Original recipe courtesy Vox Humana here on rec.food.baking)

Dave

Chembake 15-07-2006 09:34 PM

Can I make cookies from this?

Yes ...you can. But must list precisely the ingredient quantities in
your frosting so that we can know how to 'doctor it'.
The amount of sugar is critical as it can influence significantly how
your cookie will behave in the oven...

-L.[_2_] 16-07-2006 01:59 AM

Can I make cookies from this?

chembake wrote:
> Yes ...you can. But must list precisely the ingredient quantities in
> your frosting so that we can know how to 'doctor it'.
> The amount of sugar is critical as it can influence significantly how
> your cookie will behave in the oven...
>
> -L. wrote:
> > I made some frosting for a cake : 6 oz cream cheese, 6 oz butter, leon
> > extract, vanilla extract, a little milk and powdered sugar to "creamy"
> > consistency. I have half of it left. It's been in my fridge a week
> > - Can I make some cookies from it by adding a coulpe eggs, baking soda
> > and some flour? Any other suggestions?
> > TIA,
> > -L.

What I have left is approx. a mix of 3 oz butter, 3 oz cream cheese and
2 c. sugar. Milk is minimal, maybe 1T.

Thanks to all who replied!
-L.