Posted to rec.food.baking
ray ray is offline

Default Boiled apple roly-poly

Hoping someone can help with a recipe for this one.

My mother used to make this with a suet based dough, rolled out to about 1
cm thick.

Apple and cloves were the filling...rolled and sewn up in a pudding cloth
and boiled for a couple of hours..

I've seen several recipes but they were in the main. baked or steamed..The
boiled one is the one that I'm after.

Hoping someone out there can remember,
regards Ray
(Victoria, Australia)

Posted to rec.food.baking

have you tried looking for a jam roly-poly recipe, and then try
substituting the jam for apple and cloves?
(sorry dont have a jam roly-poly recipe)
good luck with it
mary

ray wrote:
> Hoping someone can help with a recipe for this one.
>
> My mother used to make this with a suet based dough, rolled out to about 1
> cm thick.
>
> Apple and cloves were the filling...rolled and sewn up in a pudding cloth
> and boiled for a couple of hours..
>
> I've seen several recipes but they were in the main. baked or steamed..The
> boiled one is the one that I'm after.
>
> Hoping someone out there can remember,
> regards Ray
> (Victoria, Australia)

Posted to rec.food.baking
ray ray is offline

Hi Mary,
thanks for your response, but I have found a jam roly-poly
but it was baked not boiled in a cloth.

regards Ray

"friends-rocks-my-super-sexy-socks" > wrote in
message ups.com...
> have you tried looking for a jam roly-poly recipe, and then try
> substituting the jam for apple and cloves?
> (sorry dont have a jam roly-poly recipe)
> good luck with it
> mary
>
> ray wrote:
> > Hoping someone can help with a recipe for this one.
> >
> > My mother used to make this with a suet based dough, rolled out to about

1
> > cm thick.
> >
> > Apple and cloves were the filling...rolled and sewn up in a pudding

cloth
> > and boiled for a couple of hours..
> >
> > I've seen several recipes but they were in the main. baked or

steamed..The
> > boiled one is the one that I'm after.
> >
> > Hoping someone out there can remember,
> > regards

Ray
> > (Victoria, Australia)

Posted to rec.food.baking

hi,
i've found this recipe that says to boil the pudding, hope this helps.
mary

JAM ROLY POLY PUDDING (Source:- Edmonds Cookbook)

225g (8 ozs) flour 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt cold water to mix
125g (4ozs) grated suet jam (raspberry or apricot)

Sift flour, salt and baking powder, chop in grated suet and
mix to a stiff dough with cold water. Roll pastry into a oval
shape about 6mm (1/4 in) thick. Spread jam over, leaving a
margin around the edges. Wet edges, roll up and seal the ends.
Scald and flour a pudding cloth (an old tea towel does the job
fine) put in the dough. Tie the ends with string, leaving room
for pudding to swell. Boil 2 hours. Serve with custard or
jam sauce.

Posted to rec.food.baking
ray ray is offline

hi to all,
This recipe sounds like it will solve my quest
Thanks again for all your help
regards Ray

"friends-rocks-my-super-sexy-socks" > wrote in
message oups.com...
> hi,
> i've found this recipe that says to boil the pudding, hope this helps.
> mary
>
> JAM ROLY POLY PUDDING (Source:- Edmonds Cookbook)
>

> 225g (8 ozs) flour 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
> 1/2 tsp salt cold water to mix
> 125g (4ozs) grated suet jam (raspberry or apricot)
>

> Sift flour, salt and baking powder, chop in grated suet and
> mix to a stiff dough with cold water. Roll pastry into a oval
> shape about 6mm (1/4 in) thick. Spread jam over, leaving a
> margin around the edges. Wet edges, roll up and seal the ends.
> Scald and flour a pudding cloth (an old tea towel does the job
> fine) put in the dough. Tie the ends with string, leaving room
> for pudding to swell. Boil 2 hours. Serve with custard or
> jam sauce.

Posted to rec.food.baking

If you go to this page:

http://www.victorianlondon.org/cassells/cassells-2.htm

and search for the word "roly", you'll find a discussion of the apple roly
poly. Good luck! philosopher

"ray" > wrote in message
> Hoping someone can help with a recipe for this one.
>
> My mother used to make this with a suet based dough, rolled out to about 1
> cm thick.
>
> Apple and cloves were the filling...rolled and sewn up in a pudding cloth
> and boiled for a couple of hours..
>
> I've seen several recipes but they were in the main. baked or steamed..The
> boiled one is the one that I'm after.
>
> Hoping someone out there can remember,
> regards Ray
> (Victoria, Australia)

Boiled Apple Snail Meat -L. General Cooking 37 25-07-2006 09:08 PM
Boiled Apple Snail Meat Saudades (FG) Asian Cooking 0 17-07-2006 12:24 PM
Jam Roly-Poly Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-06-2005 04:06 PM
Jam Roly-Poly Duckie ® Recipes 0 30-06-2005 04:03 PM
Boiled Apple Dumplings luckytrim Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2004 04:06 PM