Posted to rec.food.baking

Default How to create your own recipe

Hi. I'm new to the group. I love to bake and I was interested in
creating my own recipe. However, since I've never done this before I
need a few pointers. Does anyone know of any websites or books that
could help me with this? Thank you!

Posted to rec.food.baking

joce wrote:
> Hi. I'm new to the group. I love to bake and I was interested in
> creating my own recipe. However, since I've never done this before I
> need a few pointers. Does anyone know of any websites or books that
> could help me with this? Thank you!

That's kind of a broad question. What do you normally like to bake?
bread? cakes? cookies? pies? something else? The only way to create a
new recipe is to experiment. Find a recipe you like and start by
making subtle changes to it. Don't try to change too much at one time
though.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"joce" > wrote in news:1149348504.201487.33770
@y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> Hi. I'm new to the group. I love to bake and I was interested in
> creating my own recipe. However, since I've never done this before I
> need a few pointers. Does anyone know of any websites or books that
> could help me with this? Thank you!

Recipe for what? That's a biggie. If you're making a bread, cake, cookie,
ect. You need to know some of the science behind what you're using as
well. For instance, if you're making something that calls for Cocoa and
baking powder or soda, it matters if you use Dutch Processed Cocoa or
regular, because Dutch Processed Cocoa uses alkalis to temper it's acidity,
so you'll need to keep that in mind with your levening agents.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Yeah...that's the way it is....recipe creation, is a science .... its
chemistry....

You need to have a solid understanding how ingredients interact in the
food system that you are planning to create... and also knows that
measurements and ratios are equally important.
..The essence of recipe creation is harmony and balance ...which
results in desirable qualities of the product.

Joce....
For the time being you better content yourself reading and following
recipe books...
Mike H wrote:
> "joce" > wrote in news:1149348504.201487.33770
> @y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Hi. I'm new to the group. I love to bake and I was interested in
> > creating my own recipe. However, since I've never done this before I
> > need a few pointers. Does anyone know of any websites or books that
> > could help me with this? Thank you!

> Recipe for what? That's a biggie. If you're making a bread, cake, cookie,
> ect. You need to know some of the science behind what you're using as
> well. For instance, if you're making something that calls for Cocoa and
> baking powder or soda, it matters if you use Dutch Processed Cocoa or
> regular, because Dutch Processed Cocoa uses alkalis to temper it's acidity,
> so you'll need to keep that in mind with your levening agents.

Posted to rec.food.baking

chembake wrote:

> Yeah...that's the way it is....recipe creation, is a science .... its
> chemistry....
>
> You need to have a solid understanding how ingredients interact in the
> food system that you are planning to create... and also knows that
> measurements and ratios are equally important.
> .The essence of recipe creation is harmony and balance ...which
> results in desirable qualities of the product.

I'm being presumptuous in that you may already
be a writer, but have you considered publishing a
book? The intersection of cooking and science has
been a topic of growing interest for some time,
probably starting with McGee and continuing
with people like Corriher and even Alton Brown.

The interest level is very high, and there's much
room for improvement in the current offerings,
IMO.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.baking

I've created quite a few tasty recipes without any knowledge of
chemistry. And a few duds as well, but some very good ones.

Then I bought The Joy of Cooking, and almost stopped cooking entirely.

"chembake" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Yeah...that's the way it is....recipe creation, is a science .... its
> chemistry....
>
> You need to have a solid understanding how ingredients interact in the
> food system that you are planning to create... and also knows that
> measurements and ratios are equally important.
> .The essence of recipe creation is harmony and balance ...which
> results in desirable qualities of the product.
>
> Joce....
> For the time being you better content yourself reading and following
> recipe books...
> Mike H wrote:
>> "joce" > wrote in
>> @y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
>>
>> > Hi. I'm new to the group. I love to bake and I was interested in
>> > creating my own recipe. However, since I've never done this before
>> > need a few pointers. Does anyone know of any websites or books
>> > that
>> > could help me with this? Thank you!

>> Recipe for what? That's a biggie. If you're making a bread, cake,
>> cookie,
>> ect. You need to know some of the science behind what you're using
>> as
>> well. For instance, if you're making something that calls for Cocoa
>> and
>> baking powder or soda, it matters if you use Dutch Processed Cocoa or
>> regular, because Dutch Processed Cocoa uses alkalis to temper it's
>> acidity,
>> so you'll need to keep that in mind with your levening agents.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Anybody can claim that...but how good is the recipe and how
reproducible is the results?

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> I've created quite a few tasty recipes without any knowledge of
> chemistry. And a few duds as well, but some very good ones.
>
> Then I bought The Joy of Cooking, and almost stopped cooking entirely.
>
> "chembake" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Yeah...that's the way it is....recipe creation, is a science .... its
> > chemistry....
> >
> > You need to have a solid understanding how ingredients interact in the
> > food system that you are planning to create... and also knows that
> > measurements and ratios are equally important.
> > .The essence of recipe creation is harmony and balance ...which
> > results in desirable qualities of the product.
> >
> > Joce....
> > For the time being you better content yourself reading and following
> > recipe books...
> > Mike H wrote:
> >> "joce" > wrote in
> >> @y43g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

> >> Recipe for what? That's a biggie. If you're making a bread, cake,
> >> cookie,
> >> ect. You need to know some of the science behind what you're using
> >> as
> >> well. For instance, if you're making something that calls for Cocoa
> >> and
> >> baking powder or soda, it matters if you use Dutch Processed Cocoa or
> >> regular, because Dutch Processed Cocoa uses alkalis to temper it's
> >> acidity,
> >> so you'll need to keep that in mind with your levening agents.

Posted to rec.food.baking

If you have just learned how to crawl then how can you be expected to
know how to run?

....In the same vein if you have just learned how to bake or cook then
how can you be expected to make your creative contribution to the
culinary field?

Besides
You cannot become a good chef overnight ...it takes years of
dedicated practice .in your craft to reach the point of being, self
confident, be independently minded and creative.....
Yes, these people are not technically trained in chemistry but still
they were able to grasp the essence of recipe creation by intuitively
being able to understand the reaction mechanism what is happening
within the food system.....

Do you think you had reached that level by being just a dabbler?

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> Can I claim anything that you will believe?
>
> Or is it possible to create a good, new recipe only with a working
> knowledge of chemistry. I am sure many famous chefs would be surprised
> to hear it.
>

> "chembake" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
> > Anybody can claim that...but how good is the recipe and how
> > reproducible is the results?
> >
> > Mordechai Housman wrote:
> >> I've created quite a few tasty recipes without any knowledge of
> >> chemistry. And a few duds as well, but some very good ones.
> >>
> >> Then I bought The Joy of Cooking, and almost stopped cooking
> >> entirely.
> >>
> >> "chembake" > wrote in message
> >> ups.com...

Posted to rec.food.baking

So you're saying that a dabbler can never create a new recipe that
tastes good? (And by the way, I've been cooking for over twenty years.
I'd hardly call myself a dabbler.)

Look, I understand and agree with your dedication to full knowledge and
experience in a subject. But the fact remains that even people with only
meager or no knowledge in the SCIENCE of something can make
contributions to the practical side of it. Some rather famous composers
(admittedly, not of classical music) didn't even know how to read notes.

And I might add that when my oldest kid was learning to crawl, he could
crawl VERY fast!

"chembake" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> If you have just learned how to crawl then how can you be expected to
> know how to run?
>
> ...In the same vein if you have just learned how to bake or cook then
> how can you be expected to make your creative contribution to the
> culinary field?
>
> Besides
> You cannot become a good chef overnight ...it takes years of
> dedicated practice .in your craft to reach the point of being, self
> confident, be independently minded and creative.....
> Yes, these people are not technically trained in chemistry but still
> they were able to grasp the essence of recipe creation by intuitively
> being able to understand the reaction mechanism what is happening
> within the food system.....
>
> Do you think you had reached that level by being just a dabbler?
>

> Mordechai Housman wrote:
>> Can I claim anything that you will believe?
>>
>> Or is it possible to create a good, new recipe only with a working
>> knowledge of chemistry. I am sure many famous chefs would be
>> surprised
>> to hear it.
>>

>> "chembake" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> >
>> > Anybody can claim that...but how good is the recipe and how
>> > reproducible is the results?

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Mordechai Housman" > wrote in news:3Cghg.7242
$nV4.6076@trndny03:

> Can I claim anything that you will believe?

The point was, can other reproduce your results from your recipe that
you've written down?

> Or is it possible to create a good, new recipe only with a working
> knowledge of chemistry. I am sure many famous chefs would be surprised
> to hear it.

Honestly, I think more "cooks" know more food science than they realize.
They may not know the hows and whys to it.

If you make the TollHouse cookie recipe from the back of the bag, and you
forget the baking soda, You'll notice a difference in the cookie. You
may not know WHY it's different (What the soda actually does) but you'll
know what happens if it's not there.

That's the difference between a Chef & A cook. A cook knows how to do
things, a Chef knows why you do them.

I'd wager you either know more about food science than you think/claim,
or you got lucky on the recipes.

Also, in cooking, science is not as big as it is in Baking.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Mordechai Housman wrote:
> So you're saying that a dabbler can never create a new recipe that
> tastes good? (And by the way, I've been cooking for over twenty years.
> I'd hardly call myself a dabbler.)
>
> Look, I understand and agree with your dedication to full knowledge and
> experience in a subject. But the fact remains that even people with only
> meager or no knowledge in the SCIENCE of something can make
> contributions to the practical side of it. Some rather famous composers
> (admittedly, not of classical music) didn't even know how to read notes.

The only thing that is common to both is talent that is uncommon to
every body.

Indeed there are gifted people that intuitively can create music,
discover new scientific theory, or create new cuisine but the
groundwork remains the same. They have to train for it first to be
competent enough to reach the point of confidence and independent
minded. If not then how can they effectively play an instrument well
?...how can they work complex mathematical concepts ,nor how can they
be able to cook an create new cuisine?
Nothing comes from thin air, there is always an investment of time and
effort in training...The edge of this gifted people is they are fast
learner and have higher acumen for memory retention, reasoning power
and judgement if compared to ordinary people. Through their keen
intuition they have easily grasped the essence of their craft that
would have taken for an ordinary humans of their kind several years to
do the same.
We never forget, Albert Einstein, Beethoven, Bocusse etc but how many
of them exists in this world if compared to the rest of the
population?

As you claimed you had years of cookery experience, I might say that
you have reached culinary maturity to be able to do so..due to the same
reason I enunciated in my previous post

But , supposing you really created your own recipe. How original was
it, ? Is it not just a modification of existing ones?
Does it taste really good.... or.....maybe only for you only and your
family ..?

How about if other people say your customers or strangers ate it , .?

Can you do it consistenty every time you cook the quality remains the
same ...and are there any variation it its quality that fluctuates
everytime you do it?

Those things I mentioed are simple yardsticks for good original
recipe.

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Mordechai Housman" > wrote in

> Look, I understand and agree with your dedication to full knowledge
> and experience in a subject. But the fact remains that even people
> with only meager or no knowledge in the SCIENCE of something can make
> contributions to the practical side of it.

One need not study the sciences to have a basic understanding of them.
My son hasn't studied science (he's only 5) but he knows the basics of
the law of gravity.

> Some rather famous composers (admittedly, not of classical music)
> didn't even know how to read notes.

That doesn't mean they didn't understand the relationship of a C to an E
to a G to make a C Chord. They may not have known they were playing C,
E & G, may not have known they were playing a chord, or that that chord
was a C Chord, but they still understood the underlying principles of
this string, key, ect makes this sound which goes with this one and this
one sounds good too..

Someone with no musical training can compose, but they can't transcribe
it for others to play, and it could be argued if they KNEW music theory,
they could possibly compose the same piece in less time.

Fact of the matter is, through experiance, you will learn that certian
things bring about certian changes.

As I mentioned in my first reply to the thread.. If you know that dutch
processed cocoa is treated with an alkali to mellow out it's flavor, AND
you know what an alkali is and does, you'll know that if your recipe
calls for regular cocoa, baking powder and baking soda, and all you have
is Dutch Processed cocoa, you'll need to do some compensation in the soda
area. If memory is serving correctly, you'll want to add more soda to
the recipe to counter the alkali in the cocoa....

Posted to rec.food.baking

Precisely the point I was making, Mike! Thank you.

.130...

create jobs Silat[_2_] Barbecue 1 18-02-2010 11:07 AM
Recipe makeovers: 5 ways to create healthy recipes Queensoccer[_2_] General Cooking 0 09-09-2007 03:23 PM
Create your Own Recipe Site for Free [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-09-2007 05:29 AM
How to create your own forum? adsf General Cooking 0 12-06-2007 03:22 PM
How to create your own recipe joce Baking 5 09-06-2006 05:48 AM