Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

John

Posted to rec.food.baking

John there is a problem with your oven bottom heat....

Weak bottom heat but strong top heat results in the pizza appearing the
way as you describe.
..
How about lowering your oven rack where the stone is placed to be
nearer the burner or heating element and farther from the top coils?

In this way your stone can be assured of strong bottom heat....

take note in pizza baking the oven heat distribution should be stronger
in the bottom than in the top..

Posted to rec.food.baking

You're not heating your stone long enough. You must be baking at
too low a temp. You have to heat your stone for at least 45 minutes at 500F.
Do you have one of those cheap thin pizza stones that don't carry the heat?
Bake pizza for about 6 minutes at 550F. Check this with one of those cheap
oven thermometers, not on your dial on the stove.
There may be a problem with your dough. What is your dough recipe? Good
pizza dough should be moist and almost sticky. Real Julia about this.
Good Luck
Kent

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
> bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
> around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
> would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
> heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
> Thank you,
>
> John

Posted to rec.food.baking

To avoid a soggy crust, I bake the shaped dough for 5 minutes. Then, I
remove it and add the toppings, return to oven and finish baking. This
solved the problem I had with soggy crusts.

Posted to rec.food.baking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
> bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
> around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
> would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
> heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
> Thank you,
>
> John

Pizzas are baked hot, often 600deg or so, way hotter than home ovens go.
Secondly, home ovens often have a lot of direct radiation off of the top
elements that burn things even when the oven air temperature is low. This
gives a false indication of the true heat in the oven. The best solution is
to thoroughly pre-heat the oven as hot as it will go, 550 or so. Then after
placing the pizza on the stone, turn the oven OFF and let the retained heat
do the work. Most ovens will hold heat long enough to to bake a pizza and
the toppings and cheese will not burn before the crust is done. Heat without
direct radiation from red hot elements is why brick ovens and indirectly
heated gas or electric ovens work well. Many home ovens are not properly
designed.
Bob