FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pizza stone dough not cooking through! (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/91930-pizza-stone-dough-not.html)

[email protected] 21-05-2006 04:39 AM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,

John

Chembake 21-05-2006 07:56 AM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

John there is a problem with your oven bottom heat....

Weak bottom heat but strong top heat results in the pizza appearing the
way as you describe.
..
How about lowering your oven rack where the stone is placed to be
nearer the burner or heating element and farther from the top coils?

In this way your stone can be assured of strong bottom heat....

take note in pizza baking the oven heat distribution should be stronger
in the bottom than in the top..

Kent 21-05-2006 09:08 AM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

You're not heating your stone long enough. You must be baking at
too low a temp. You have to heat your stone for at least 45 minutes at 500F.
Do you have one of those cheap thin pizza stones that don't carry the heat?
Bake pizza for about 6 minutes at 550F. Check this with one of those cheap
oven thermometers, not on your dial on the stove.
There may be a problem with your dough. What is your dough recipe? Good
pizza dough should be moist and almost sticky. Real Julia about this.
Good Luck
Kent

oups.com...

[email protected] 21-05-2006 03:53 PM

wrote:
> I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
> bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
> around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
> would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
> heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
> Thank you,
>
> John

I have a cheap, electric oven and had the same problem. Even with a
well heated pizza stone, the pizza came out with browned cheese and
undercooked dough. My solution was to cook the dough for abut 5-10
minutes before I put any sauce or topping on. Pizza comes out great.
Make sure you spread some olive oil on the dough before you put any
sauce on it.
You might also want to stretch the dough thinner.

Chris

BobbiJo_AZ 21-05-2006 08:58 PM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

To avoid a soggy crust, I bake the shaped dough for 5 minutes. Then, I
remove it and add the toppings, return to oven and finish baking. This
solved the problem I had with soggy crusts.

Bob Eld 24-05-2006 03:53 PM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
> bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
> around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
> would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
> heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
> Thank you,
>
> John

Pizzas are baked hot, often 600deg or so, way hotter than home ovens go.
Secondly, home ovens often have a lot of direct radiation off of the top
elements that burn things even when the oven air temperature is low. This
gives a false indication of the true heat in the oven. The best solution is
to thoroughly pre-heat the oven as hot as it will go, 550 or so. Then after
placing the pizza on the stone, turn the oven OFF and let the retained heat
do the work. Most ovens will hold heat long enough to to bake a pizza and
the toppings and cheese will not burn before the crust is done. Heat without
direct radiation from red hot elements is why brick ovens and indirectly
heated gas or electric ovens work well. Many home ovens are not properly
designed.
Bob

Jim Davis 25-05-2006 07:31 PM

wrote:
> I'm preheating my stone and cooking for 10 minutes, (the cheese is a
> bubbly golden brown) still the dough will not cook through except for
> around the edges. The rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I
> would cook it longer except for fear of burning the toppings. What the
> heck am I missing? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
> Thank you,
>
> John

You got the stone on the bottom level and 475+ degrees? I just made one
on my pizza stone and it turned out great. BTW I now use one of those
perforated pizza pans and put it on the stone. Improves the bottom
greatly.

Mike H 25-05-2006 07:46 PM

Pizza stone dough not cooking through!

wrote in news:1148182767.935241.324680
@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

> I'm preheating my stone

At what temperature and for how long?

> still the dough will not cook through except for around the edges. The
> rest of the pizza is a gummy dough texture. I would cook it longer
> except for fear of burning the toppings. What the heck am I missing?

How thick is the dough?