Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default The Easter Bread is out of the oven and cooling

L, not -L wrote:
> I just pulled the first batch of Easter Bread from the oven; it's a sweet,
> buttery roll with a colored egg in the center. The egg is decorated, but
> uncooked when it goes in - while the bread bakes around it, the egg cooks
> and ends up like a hard-boiled egg.
>
> If interested, take a look at:
> http://i2.tinypic.com/vgii6u.jpg

You're supposed to embed already hard cooked eggs into the dough before
baking, then your eggs wont split open.

http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...recipes/231825

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
>> L, not -L wrote:
>>> I just pulled the first batch of Easter Bread from the oven; it's a
>>> sweet, buttery roll with a colored egg in the center. The egg is
>>> decorated, but uncooked when it goes in - while the bread bakes
>>> around it, the egg cooks and ends up like a hard-boiled egg.
>>>
>>> If interested, take a look at:
>>> http://i2.tinypic.com/vgii6u.jpg

>> You're supposed to embed already hard cooked eggs into the dough
>> before baking, then your eggs wont split open.
>>
>> http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...recipes/231825

Interesting. My recipe calls for raw eggs as well. Perhaps I've been
lucky, but I have yet to have an egg break open on me.

Debbie

(Email account is valid but one I do not check. To email use above
name dot neill at sympatico dot ca)

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

L, not -L wrote:
> On 14-Apr-2006, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
> > You're supposed to embed already hard cooked eggs into the dough before
> > baking, then your eggs wont split open.
> >
> > http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...recipes/231825
> >
> > Sheldon

> Perhaps in the recipe you use, but not in the one I use, which is from The
> Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook. I have made these for several years and
> never had an egg split open. If you see what you believe to be a cracked
> egg in my picture, it is merely poor egg dying on my part. I used a
> different brand of dye this year and some of the eggs did not color evenly
> for some reason, darker in some spots than in others.

The two red ones definitely look cracked. The upper blue one I'll buy
as a maybe. The bottom blue one I really can't tell. Most of the
recipes I found on the net say to use cooked eggs. I've also seen
similar breads baked with just the egg yolks. This type of bread is
available all over Italy. When I traveled there extensivly during the
early 60s every town had their own version, most were not dyed at all.
The eggs had white shells or they used brown eggs.... those that were
dyed were colored with very pale pastels, mostly yellow. Othrwise your
breads look good. I wish those who submit bread pics would show the
bread sliced, can't really tell much from seeing just the exterior,
gotta see the crumb to judge bread.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

L, not -L wrote:

> On 14-Apr-2006, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
> <snip>
>> You're supposed to embed already hard cooked eggs into the dough before
>> baking, then your eggs wont split open.
>>
>> http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...recipes/231825
>>
>> Sheldon

> Perhaps in the recipe you use, but not in the one I use, which is from The
> Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook. I have made these for several years and
> never had an egg split open. If you see what you believe to be a cracked
> egg in my picture, it is merely poor egg dying on my part. I used a
> different brand of dye this year and some of the eggs did not color evenly
> for some reason, darker in some spots than in others.

I have that book. It's completely falling apart because I use it so much, but
it's a great book.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

L, not -L wrote:

> On 15-Apr-2006, The Bubbo > wrote:
> <SNIP>
>> >from The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook. I have made these for several
>> >years

> <SNIP>
>>
>> I have that book. It's completely falling apart because I use it so much,
>> but it's a great book.

> I agree; over the 13 or so years I have used a bread machine, I have bought
> numerous cookbooks on ABM baking. Of all those books, there are only two
> that I consistently use recipes from - The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
> and Breadmachine Magic. All the money I spent on other ABM cookbooks was
> wasted, but these two books have been worth far more than I paid.

I'll check out the other book, too, thanks

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

These came our lovely, particularly for a first try!

Thanks for posting...

http://i3.tinypic.com/vondk7.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/vonyhv.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/vonyx1.jpg
http://i3.tinypic.com/vonzew.jpg

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

In article > ,
"L, not -L" > wrote:

> I agree; over the 13 or so years I have used a bread machine, I have bought
> numerous cookbooks on ABM baking. Of all those books, there are only two
> that I consistently use recipes from - The Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook
> and Breadmachine Magic. All the money I spent on other ABM cookbooks was
> wasted, but these two books have been worth far more than I paid.

Have you ever looked at Rustic European Breads from Your Bread
Machine? I love this book!

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> L, not -L wrote:
>> On 14-Apr-2006, "Sheldon" > wrote:
>>
>> <snip>
>> > You're supposed to embed already hard cooked eggs into the dough before
>> > baking, then your eggs wont split open.
>> >
>> > http://www.epicurious.com/cooking/ho...recipes/231825
>> >
>> > Sheldon

>> Perhaps in the recipe you use, but not in the one I use, which is from
>> The
>> Ultimate Bread Machine Cookbook. I have made these for several years and
>> never had an egg split open. If you see what you believe to be a cracked
>> egg in my picture, it is merely poor egg dying on my part. I used a
>> different brand of dye this year and some of the eggs did not color
>> evenly
>> for some reason, darker in some spots than in others.

> The two red ones definitely look cracked. The upper blue one I'll buy
> as a maybe. The bottom blue one I really can't tell. Most of the
> recipes I found on the net say to use cooked eggs. I've also seen
> similar breads baked with just the egg yolks. This type of bread is
> available all over Italy. When I traveled there extensivly during the
> early 60s every town had their own version, most were not dyed at all.
> The eggs had white shells or they used brown eggs.... those that were
> dyed were colored with very pale pastels, mostly yellow. Othrwise your
> breads look good. I wish those who submit bread pics would show the
> bread sliced, can't really tell much from seeing just the exterior,
> gotta see the crumb to judge bread.
>
> Sheldon

Great looking treats, too bad Sheldon in under impressed.....

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> The two red ones definitely look cracked. The upper blue one I'll buy
> as a maybe. The bottom blue one I really can't tell.
> Sheldon

Look again. The dye from the egg has bled onto the dough (contact with
moisture in the dough) and it's the difference in color that's making
you think they're cracked. Speaking of cracked. . . . . "-)

-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 4-17-2006 with Easter stuffs.