Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default lemon meringue pie - do you need the rind?

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Dee Randall" > wrote in message
>>
>> "RsH" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...

>>> Carnuba wax is used on lots of foods... Jelly beans, for example, shine
>>> because they are all coated with it. It is edible and virtually
>>> tasteless, and is a finish protector or sealer, if you will. Don't
>>> bother scrubbing, and simply ignore that it has been used. Its been
>>> used since the beginning of last century, at a minimum, and we are
>>> still ingesting...
>>>
>>> FWIW
>>>
>>> RsH

>> Countering:
>> To say that it has been used for the last century does not mean that it
>> has caused no bodily harm. Until studies are done on each and every
>> product that people in good faith say that causes no harm, it's
>> impossible to say with certainty.
>> FWIW
>> Dee Dee

> Agreed, Dee. However, think of all the M'nMs eaten!
> http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e903.htm
> Graham

Very interesting, Graham. Thank you.
I've not eaten my share of M&M's, but I did stop chewing gum years ago when
I got terribly allergic to a certain brand, won't name it -- big sores! And
stopped using make-up years ago. Didn't agree with my skin.

Interesting - used on/in coffee - wonder what's that's all about.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:20:53 -0400, "Dee Randall" > wrote:

>Countering:
>To say that it has been used for the last century does not mean that it has
>caused no bodily harm. Until studies are done on each and every product
>that people in good faith say that causes no harm, it's impossible to say
>with certainty.

That is true of every single thing you eat. You're going to get awfully hungry
if you wait until all those tests have been completed.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

"pltrgyst" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 12:20:53 -0400, "Dee Randall" >
> wrote:
>
>>Countering:
>>To say that it has been used for the last century does not mean that it
>>has
>>caused no bodily harm. Until studies are done on each and every product
>>that people in good faith say that causes no harm, it's impossible to say
>>with certainty.

> That is true of every single thing you eat. You're going to get awfully
> hungry
> if you wait until all those tests have been completed.
>
> -- Larry

I use common sense and eat food like everyone else. Wax was the topic of
consideration I was addressing. Wax, wax, wax (:-))Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
a a is offline

On Wed, 19 Apr 2006 01:39:55 GMT, Arthur > wrote:

>CHI-MUM wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>
>>>What is the reason for grating the lemon rind to make the pie filling?
>>>Do you have to do that?
>>>I have a whole bottle of lemon juice. I'd rather use that than buy some
>>>lemons.
>>>

>> Don't do it! If you want quick and easy use a Jello lemon meringue pie
>> filling.
>>
>> If you're making it from scratch use real lemon juice and the grated
>> rind.
>>
>> MoM
>>

>I've recently discovered that the pretty lemons and limes in my grocery
>stores are coated with some sort of "edible" carnuba or beeswax product.
>No one seems to worry about it. I try to scrub those lemons whose rind I
>plan to use, but, since the stuff is waterproof, I wonder what I am
>accomplishing. Anyone which thoughts on this matter??
>

>Art

Actually, the part that you want most (aside from the wax) is just the
outer layer called the zest. Just the yellow part contains essential
oils that will make your pie taste better. Lemon juice is okay, but
the zest is the best part.

The white layer under the yellow is not needed, and can sometimes be
bitter, and not a good bitter.