FoodBanter.com

-   -   southern stories and recipes needed (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/87-southern-stories-recipes-needed.html)

Tina 01-11-2003 06:03 PM

southern stories and recipes needed

Hello, I'm a Georgia area author currently working on "A NonSoutherners
Guide to Southern Foods"...
This is a compliation of old recipes, history of traditional foods,
etc.
I was wondering if anyone here would like to be included? All I
need is a few of your favourite southern recipes, a brief bio of yourself,
and perhaps a recollection of your favourite memory concerning family dinners..

Thank you:)
Tina

neris 02-11-2003 02:26 AM

southern stories and recipes needed

so will we get a profit share of the booksale revenues prpportinate to our
contributions? >:{
om...

Vox Humana 02-11-2003 02:53 AM

southern stories and recipes needed

"Tina" > wrote in message
om...
> Hello, I'm a Georgia area author currently working on "A NonSoutherners
> Guide to Southern Foods"...
> This is a compliation of old recipes, history of traditional foods,
> etc.
> I was wondering if anyone here would like to be included? All I
> need is a few of your favourite southern recipes, a brief bio of yourself,
> and perhaps a recollection of your favourite memory concerning family

dinners..

> Thank you:)
> Tina

I think someone beat you to this.
http://www.auntsallys.com/cookbookwt.html

Scott 02-11-2003 03:14 PM

southern stories and recipes needed

In article <93Zob.107678$EO3.42237@clgrps13>,
"neris" > wrote:

> so will we get a profit share of the booksale revenues prpportinate to our
> contributions? >:{

I love those posts. "Hi. I want to make some money so, rather that do
any work on research, why don't you donate your time and energy to me so
that I can profit from it?"

please mail OT responses only

Eric Jorgensen 02-11-2003 09:18 PM

southern stories and recipes needed

On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:14:08 GMT
Scott > wrote:

> In article <93Zob.107678$EO3.42237@clgrps13>,
> "neris" > wrote:
>
> > so will we get a profit share of the booksale revenues prpportinate
> > to our contributions? >:{

> I love those posts. "Hi. I want to make some money so, rather that do
> any work on research, why don't you donate your time and energy to me
> so that I can profit from it?"

Quick, lets poison her harvest with copyrighted works!

The Old Bear 02-11-2003 11:36 PM

Scott > writes:

>From: Scott >
>Newsgroups: rec.food.baking
>Subject: southern stories and recipes needed
>Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 14:14:08 GMT
>
> "neris" > wrote:
>>
>> so will we get a profit share of the booksale revenues prpportinate to our
>> contributions? >:{

>I love those posts. "Hi. I want to make some money so, rather that do
>any work on research, why don't you donate your time and energy to me so
>that I can profit from it?"

The request was straightforward enough. If you have no interest in
contributing, you don't have to. Big deal.

I suppose she could have made up some disingenuous story about wanting
to put together a collection of anecdotes for her poor ailing grandmother
and then you'd feel good about contributing.

There are dozens and dozens of cookbooks out there which are compilations
of contributed recipes and stories. We are fortunate that many of these
works have preserved recipes, wisdom and history which might otherwise
have been lost. If their editors made a few dollars -- which many did
not -- they did so by performing a legitimate service pulling together
bits of ephemera into a cohesive anthology.

As for doing research, I thought that was what this person was doing when
she posted her request. I suppose that in pre-internet days one could
go ask people the same question face-to-face at church suppers, go through
back issues of small town PTA newsletters, or phone the Extension Service
offices in a number of Southern counties. Or one could still do all those
things and post to selected usenet groups, too.

In an era of tidal waves of spam, inappropriate off-topic cross posting,
unwanted and unwelcome solicitations for questionable products and
services, blatant scams, illegal get-rich-quick schemes, obscene and
offensive hucksterism, etc., I am unable to become morally outraged by
a simple and polite request.

Relax. Enjoy life. Bake something.

Cheers,
The Old Bear

Tina 04-11-2003 02:28 AM

southern stories and recipes needed

all I can say is thank you.

Yes, I am asking for some recipes and the stories behind them.
I myself am forming the tales, history, and anecdotes around them,
plus adding about 100 of my own families recipes.

There have been a few flamers, most thinking this will make me rich,
when in actuality I will lose a few bucks, but I really want to do
this.

There also have been some truly wonderful people that have made this
undertaking a joy.

Thank you for your words though,
Tina

Minteeleaf 05-11-2003 02:54 PM

Tina wrote:

> Hello, I'm a Georgia area author currently working on "A NonSoutherners
> Guide to Southern Foods"...
> This is a compliation of old recipes, history of traditional foods,
> etc.
> I was wondering if anyone here would like to be included? All I
> need is a few of your favourite southern recipes, a brief bio of yourself,
> and perhaps a recollection of your favourite memory concerning family dinners..
>
> Thank you:)
> Tina

Cross my palm with greenbacks, & I'll talk. :-)

Mintee