Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Rubbery Crepes

Good Evening All!

I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.

How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.

Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't working.
Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.

Any suggestions would be really great!

Thanks!

Lisa :-)

Posted to rec.food.baking

Cheesecake Lady wrote:
> Good Evening All!
>
> I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.
>
> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
> I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.
>
> Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
> tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't working.
> Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.
>
> Any suggestions would be really great!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa :-)

Temp is important, I used a "7" on my electric glasstop and just enough
batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. This has worked for me for
about 30 years.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Cheesecake Lady wrote:
> Good Evening All!
>
> I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.
>
> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
> I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.
>
> Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
> tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't working.
> Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.
>
> Any suggestions would be really great!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa :-)

Temp is important, I used a "7" on my electric glasstop and just enough
batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. This has worked for me for
about 30 years.
Posted to rec.food.baking

Thanks a bunch for the info. When I think about it, I do believe I am
putting too much batter into the pan. I don't think heat is a problem, I am
using medium-low heat on a gas stove.

Thanks!!

Lisa

"Norvin" > wrote in message
m...

> Temp is important, I used a "7" on my electric glasstop and just enough
> batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. This has worked for me for
> about 30 years.

Posted to rec.food.baking

Lisa wrote:
> Thanks a bunch for the info. When I think about it, I do believe I am
> putting too much batter into the pan. I don't think heat is a problem, I am
> using medium-low heat on a gas stove.
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Lisa
>

> "Norvin" > wrote in message
> m...
>
>>Temp is important, I used a "7" on my electric glasstop and just enough
>>batter to cover the bottom of the skillet. This has worked for me for
>>about 30 years.

As I said before, temp is important. A '7' on my glasstop is about the
same as med-high heat. From the moment I put the batter into the skillet
till I need to turn it over is about 30 seconds and another 5-10 seconds
on the reverse side. You should get little bubbles forming within a few
seconds on the first side. Good luck

Posted to rec.food.baking

"Cheesecake Lady" > wrote in message
> Good Evening All!
>
> I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.
>
> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
> I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.
>
> Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
> tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't
> working.
> Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.
>
> Any suggestions would be really great!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa :-)

Check out this recipe
http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/pastry/1227crepe.shtml

Posted to rec.food.baking

> "Cheesecake Lady" > wrote in message
>
> > How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?

With most quickbreads and batter products, overmixing will cause gluten
development and lead to a rubbery texture.

Mix just enough to have the batter pull together and have the flour
hydrated. Then experiment from there.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking

Thanks everybody!! I found that my problem was putting too much batter in the pan. Now, they are light and wonderful!!!!!!

Thanks again!!

Lisa

"Mike Avery" > wrote in message news:mailman.1.1143823573.25797.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com...
"Cheesecake Lady" < > wrote in message

> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?

With most quickbreads and batter products, overmixing will cause gluten development and lead to a rubbery texture.

Mix just enough to have the batter pull together and have the flour hydrated. Then experiment from there.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 04:10:22 -0700, "Chef Blair" >
wrote:

>Check out this recipe
>http://www.frenchpastrychef.com/pastry/1227crepe.shtml

That's a fine recipe for certain dessert purposes, but not if you want a savory
crepe. Too much egg, and unnecessary sugar.

For savory crepes, the basic mix is:

- 1 cup flour
- 1-1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg

That's it. If I'm making them for service with jam, etc., for breakfast, I add
1/4 tsp vanilla, which does not impart a noticeable vanilla flavor, but
enrichens the taste subtly.

It's important to beat until *very* smooth. It's important to let the batter
rest at least half-hour (or even overnight), so air bubbles can escape. It's
important to use butter before each crepe on your pan or crepe maker to add
flavor and yield the proper small-bubbled surface texture -- preferably
clarified or ghee, for ease of cleanup. And it's important to cook over high
enough heat (375 deg F on my crepe griddle).

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.baking

I try not to put too much batter in the pan and find that the quicker they
are cooked, the lighter they taste - I tend to do mine over fairly high heat
for a short period. This can be fun as I usually cook with 4 pans at once
when preparing pancakes for breakfast for the family!

"Cheesecake Lady" > wrote in message
> Good Evening All!
>
> I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.
>
> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
> I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.
>
> Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
> tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't
> working.
> Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.
>
> Any suggestions would be really great!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa :-)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Monday, March 27, 2006 at 4:34:27 PM UTC-7, Cheesecake Lady wrote:
> Good Evening All!
>
> I hope someone here has some experience with this. I am at my wits end.
>
> How in the world do I prevent crepes from being rubbery?
> I am using a basic recipe that I got off of Food Network - Alton Brown.
>
> Is it the amount of the batter I am using?? Please help. Have a really
> tasty layered crepe "cake" that I want to duplicate & it just isn't working.
> Nowhere near what I had at a local restaurant.
>
> Any suggestions would be really great!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lisa :-)

This is funny. I am here to ask for your rubbery crepes recipe. I am making a spring roll recipe that calls for a rubbery crepe (lolol). Would appreciate it!

Even The Lettuce Was Rubbery . . . Mark Thorson General Cooking 0 18-09-2007 11:33 PM
Rubbery Texture? alphabetgirl Sourdough 16 09-03-2006 01:54 PM
Crepes kalanamak General Cooking 6 08-11-2005 09:21 PM
Rubbery Chicken Joe Rizzo Barbecue 65 24-08-2004 10:54 PM
Flat, rubbery cakes. armitageshanks Baking 3 22-08-2004 08:29 AM