Posted to rec.food.baking
JJ JJ is offline

Default Frozen cherries problem

Having this problem for years.
I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to get a
good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it then freeze
it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as needed and finish them
off. The problem I always have is that the cherries remain frozen in the
center (bottom layer)as the rest of the cake is defrosted and ready to eat.

I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to it.

Any ideas.

John

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:27:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JJ?

> Having this problem for years.
> I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to get
> a good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it then
> freeze it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as needed and
> finish them off. The problem I always have is that the cherries remain
> frozen in the center (bottom layer)as the rest of the cake is defrosted
> and ready to eat.
>
> I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to
> it.
>
> Any ideas.
>
> John

Soak the cherries overnight in cherry brandy, either Cherry Heering or
Kirschwässer or even cherry schnapps, before using between the cake
layers. The alcohol will prevent solid freezing. If you're not using it
otherwise in the filling, Kirschwässer in particular lends an authentic
flavor to a Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
<snip>

> Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

Gesundheit!

-L.
(My Dad's family is from the Schwarzwald but I never learned how to
make ehtnic dishes from his family, unfortunately...)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:31:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

> Gesundheit!

Thank you!

> -L.
> (My Dad's family is from the Schwarzwald but I never learned how to
> make ehtnic dishes from his family, unfortunately...)

I learned to make this cake when I was in highschool, taught to me by a
classmate's mother who was born and raised in the Schwarzwald. It's probably
still my favorite cake. It's sometimes hard to find morello cherries, which
is the most authentic type to use.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed, 23 Mar 2006, it was written:

> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:27:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JJ?
>
> > Having this problem for years.
> > I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to get
> > a good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it then
> > freeze it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as needed and
> > finish them off. The problem I always have is that the cherries remain
> > frozen in the center (bottom layer)as the rest of the cake is defrosted
> > and ready to eat.
> >
> > I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to
> > it.
> >
> > Any ideas.
> >
> > John

> Soak the cherries overnight in cherry brandy, either Cherry Heering or
> Kirschwässer or even cherry schnapps, before using between the cake
> layers. The alcohol will prevent solid freezing. If you're not using it
> otherwise in the filling, Kirschwässer in particular lends an authentic
> flavor to a Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

Didn't you make that "Yummy!" sound?

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 01:26:17p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?

> On Wed, 23 Mar 2006, it was written:
>
>> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:27:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JJ?
>>
>> > Having this problem for years.
>> > I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to
>> > get a good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it
>> > then freeze it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as
>> > needed and finish them off. The problem I always have is that the
>> > cherries remain frozen in the center (bottom layer)as the rest of the
>> > cake is defrosted and ready to eat.
>> >
>> > I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Any ideas.
>> >
>> > John

>> Soak the cherries overnight in cherry brandy, either Cherry Heering or
>> Kirschwässer or even cherry schnapps, before using between the cake
>> layers. The alcohol will prevent solid freezing. If you're not using
>> it otherwise in the filling, Kirschwässer in particular lends an
>> authentic flavor to a Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

> Didn't you make that "Yummy!" sound?

Absolutely!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Dave Bell" > wrote in message
ea.net...
On Wed, 23 Mar 2006, it was written:

> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:27:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JJ?
>
> > Having this problem for years.
> > I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to get
> > a good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it then
> > freeze it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as needed and
> > finish them off. The problem I always have is that the cherries remain
> > frozen in the center (bottom layer)as the rest of the cake is defrosted
> > and ready to eat.
> >
> > I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to
> > it.
> >
> > Any ideas.
> >
> > John

> Soak the cherries overnight in cherry brandy, either Cherry Heering or
> Kirschwässer or even cherry schnapps, before using between the cake
> layers. The alcohol will prevent solid freezing. If you're not using it
> otherwise in the filling, Kirschwässer in particular lends an authentic
> flavor to a Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

Didn't you make that "Yummy!" sound?

Reminds me of the time I was offered a Bourbon ball cookie. I was under the
impression that the cookies had been soaked in bourbon before baking them.
Everyone laughed at me when I nearly choked on it. I think she used a whole
bottle of Jack on about two dozen cookies. (Ha-Ha)

Gordon in SW Indiana

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu 23 Mar 2006 09:17:57p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it hayes.a?

> "Dave Bell" > wrote in message
> ea.net...
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2006, it was written:
>
>> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 05:27:48p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it JJ?
>>
>> > Having this problem for years.
>> > I make a 100% real whipped cream black forest cake. The only way to
>> > get a good production and ease handling of this cake is to build it
>> > then freeze it. Then I just take the cake out of the freezer as
>> > needed and finish them off. The problem I always have is that the
>> > cherries remain frozen in the center (bottom layer)as the rest of the
>> > cake is defrosted and ready to eat.
>> >
>> > I would like to keep the cherries in the cake since it really adds to
>> > it.
>> >
>> > Any ideas.
>> >
>> > John

>> Soak the cherries overnight in cherry brandy, either Cherry Heering or
>> Kirschwässer or even cherry schnapps, before using between the cake
>> layers. The alcohol will prevent solid freezing. If you're not using
>> it otherwise in the filling, Kirschwässer in particular lends an
>> authentic flavor to a Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

> Didn't you make that "Yummy!" sound?
>
> Reminds me of the time I was offered a Bourbon ball cookie. I was under
> the impression that the cookies had been soaked in bourbon before
> baking them. Everyone laughed at me when I nearly choked on it. I think
> she used a whole bottle of Jack on about two dozen cookies. (Ha-Ha)

Those "booze ball" cookies can be pretty potent. I make the same one as
the Bourbon ball, but use Myer's Dark Rum instead of Bourbon. I make
another one that uses ground dried apricots and coconut, and all the
liquid is vodka. One can easily eat instead of drink their cocktails. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA
Posted to rec.food.baking
JJ JJ is offline

Thanks. I`ll try soaking them in kirsh.
Never would have thought of that.

--
______________________________
JJ

Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Schwarwälder Kirschtorte (was Frozen cherries problem)

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I learned to make this cake when I was in highschool, taught to me by a
> classmate's mother who was born and raised in the Schwarzwald. It's probably
> still my favorite cake. It's sometimes hard to find morello cherries, which
> is the most authentic type to use.

Wayne, do you have this recipe written up, and/or would you mind
sharing it?
Thanks,
-L.

Posted to rec.food.baking

in article , Wayne
Boatwright at wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote on 3/23/06 2:06 AM:

> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:31:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?
>

>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> <snip>
>>
>>> Schwarwälder Kirschtorte.

>> Gesundheit!

> Thank you!
>
>> -L.
>> (My Dad's family is from the Schwarzwald but I never learned how to
>> make ehtnic dishes from his family, unfortunately...)

> I learned to make this cake when I was in highschool, taught to me by a
> classmate's mother who was born and raised in the Schwarzwald. It's probably
> still my favorite cake. It's sometimes hard to find morello cherries, which
> is the most authentic type to use.

I have found bottled morello cherries at Trader Joe's. Or are you looking
for fresh morello cherries? Now THAT would be more of a challenge!!

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed 29 Mar 2006 02:36:32a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> I learned to make this cake when I was in highschool, taught to me by a
>> classmate's mother who was born and raised in the Schwarzwald. It's
>> probably still my favorite cake. It's sometimes hard to find morello
>> cherries, which is the most authentic type to use.
>>

> Wayne, do you have this recipe written up, and/or would you mind
> sharing it?
> Thanks,
> -L.

I'd be happy to, although it's rather long. I hope you'll give it a try,
as it's really worth the effort, and it's an authentic recipe.

Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte Serves 12

CHOCOLATE GENOISE
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate
1 cup boiling water
8 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup superfine (caster) sugar
1-½ cups sifted cake flour

CHERRIES w/SYRUP*
2 1-pound cans morello cherries
(OR red sour cherries)
¾ cup superfine (caster) sugar
1 cup cherry liquid
2 tablespoons Kirschwässer

KIRSCH FILLING
2 cups confectioner's (icing sugar, sifted)
2/3 cup unsalted butter
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons Kirsch

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
9 ounces semisweet chocolate
¾ cup superfine (caster) sugar
3 tablespoons water
3 egg yolks
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (optional)

CREAM TOPPING
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons superfine (caster) sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon Kirsch

DECORATION
12 maraschino cherries w/stems
2 tablespoons Kirschwässer
1 bar semisweet chocolate (for chocolate curls)

CHOCOLATE GENOISE
Preheat oven to 350º F.
Prepare two 9-inch by 2-inch pans (or two 9-inch springform pans),
greased, bottoms lined with parchment, and then greased again and floured.
In a heavy saucepan bring the chocolate and water to a boil over low
heat, stirring constantly. Simmer, stirring, for 5 minutes or until the
chocolate thickens to a pudding-like consistency. (It will fall from the
spoon and pool slightly before disappearing.) Cool completely.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, vanilla extract and sugar with
the whisk beater on high speed for 10 minutes or until triple in volume.
(A hand beater may be used but it will be necessary to beat for at least 20
minutes.)
Sift ½ the flour over the egg mixture and fold it in gently but
rapidly with a slotted skimmer or large rubber spatula until some of the
flour has disappeared. Repeat with the remaining flour until all flour has
disappeared. Fold in the chocolate mixture until incorporated.
Pour immediately into the prepared pans (they will be about 2/3 full)
and bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centers enters
as easily as it does when inserted closer to the sides.
The cakes rise to the tops of the pans during baking and will lower
slightly when done, pulling slightly away from the sides. Avoid opening
the oven door before the minimum time or the cakes could fall.
Loosen the sides of the cakes with a small metal spatula and unmold at
once onto lightly greased racks. Reinvert to cool. The firm upper crusts
prevent falling. Trim the bottom and top crusts and split each layer in
half horizontally to make (4) ½" layers, when ready to complete the cake.

CHERRIES w/SYRUP
Drain the cherries for 30 minutes, reserving 1 cup cherry liquid.
In a medium saucepan combine the cherry liquid and sugar and bring to
a boil, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Boil briskly,
uncovered, for 5 minutes. Add the cherries and simmer, covered, 1 minute.
Remove from the heat. Transfer the cherries with a slotted spoon to a jar
with tight-fitting lid and add the Kirsch.
Boil the remaining syrup until reduced to 2/3 cup and pour over the
cherries. Cover tightly and swirl to mix. Cool completely and refrigerate
until ready to complete cake. *Note: May be prepared well in advance and
stored.

FILLING
In a large mixing bowl, beat the confectioner's sugar and butter with
the whisk beater on low speed until well-blended. Add egg yolks, beating
on high speed for 3 to 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. Gently fold in
Kirsch.

CHOCOLATE BUTTERCREAM
Chop the chocolate into small bits and put in a large mixing bowl.
Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan, and boil for 1
minute. Pour the boiling sugar mixture over the chocolate and stir until
smooth. If the mixture becomes granular and begins to stiffen, beat in 2
tablespoons vegetable shortening to smooth it out. Cover and set aside to
cool to room temperature.
In another mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks with the whisk beater until
well blended. Add the cooled chocolate mixture and beat well. Continue to
beat on high speed, adding small bits of butter (about 2 tablespoons) at a
time, and beating well until all the butter is incorporated and the
frosting is light and fluffy.

CREAM TOPPING
Whip cream in a small chilled mixing bowl until frothy. Add sugar,
vanilla and Kirsch. Continue beating until very stiff (almost to butter).

DECORATION
Macerate maraschino cherries in Kirsch for at least 24 h ours prior to
assembling cake.
Warm chocolate bar to approximately 80º F., or just warm enough to
prevent splintering. Form chocolate curls by using a potato peeler drawn
against the length of the bar. Chill until ready to complete cake.

ASSEMBLY
Drain cherries, reserving syrup. There should be about 1 cup, 2
tablespoons of syrup. Add additional Kirsch, if necessary.
Transfer the cakes to a long strip of waxed paper and prick each layer
lightly in several places with the tines of a long fork. Sprinkle the
layers evenly with the syrup and let them rest for at least 5 minutes.
Cut out a cardboard round to fit the diameter of the cake layer.
Place bottom layer on cardboard and spread with 1/3 of the filling.
Distribute an even layer of cherries (so that they are touching) on top of
filling. Place 2nd and 3rd cake layers, repeating with layers of filling
and cherries. Top with 4th cake layer.
Wrap cake gently in plastic film and refrigerate for at least 1 hour
for filling to become firm.
Remove cake from refrigerator and discard plastic film. Frost sides
only with chocolate buttercream, using an icing comb to finish and decorate
the sides.
Pile the entire amount of cream topping on top of cake. Use an icing
comb or swirl decoratively into an even layer.
Place 12 maraschino cherries evenly spaced around perimeter of top and
pile chocolate curls decoratively in center.
Cover cake closely and refrigerate at least 24 hours (48 hours is
better), to allow moisture to equalize and flavors to mellow. Serve
chilled.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.baking

On Wed 29 Mar 2006 05:52:02a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
Muckerheide?

> in article , Wayne
> Boatwright at wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com wrote on 3/23/06 2:06 AM:
>
>> On Wed 22 Mar 2006 11:31:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it -L.?
>>

>>> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Gesundheit!

>> Thank you!
>>
>>> -L.
>>> (My Dad's family is from the Schwarzwald but I never learned how to
>>> make ehtnic dishes from his family, unfortunately...)

>> I learned to make this cake when I was in highschool, taught to me by a
>> classmate's mother who was born and raised in the Schwarzwald. It's
>> probably still my favorite cake. It's sometimes hard to find morello
>> cherries, which is the most authentic type to use.

> I have found bottled morello cherries at Trader Joe's. Or are you
> looking for fresh morello cherries? Now THAT would be more of a
> challenge!!

Good grief, why didn't I think of going to Trader Joes's!?! Yes, I used
the bottled variety, and I sometimes find them at the supermarket. I check
TJ's the next time I'm there.

Thanks!

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
_____________________
Posted to rec.food.baking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> I'd be happy to, although it's rather long. I hope you'll give it a try,
> as it's really worth the effort, and it's an authentic recipe.

Thanks so much Wayne - I will try to tackle it one day when I have some
time to devote to it, uninterrupted.

-L.
(posting from my other account...)

Posted to rec.food.baking

On Thu 30 Mar 2006 01:10:49a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> I'd be happy to, although it's rather long. I hope you'll give it a try,
>> as it's really worth the effort, and it's an authentic recipe.

> Thanks so much Wayne - I will try to tackle it one day when I have some
> time to devote to it, uninterrupted.
>
> -L.
> (posting from my other account...)

You're very welcome! I know that you're an accomplished cook and baker, and
I'm sure you'll make a fine job of it.

--
Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬