Posted to rec.food.baking

Default Self raising flour

What is the difference between self raising and regular flour and how
do I make regular into self raising?
Brian
Waterloo
Canada

Posted to rec.food.baking

Self rising flour contains leavening agents...or baking powder..
Regular flour is just plain all purpose flour.

You can make your own SRF by adding a teaspoon of baking powder (and
optionally a pinch or two of salt) to a cup of all purpose flour. and
sifting it three times ( in order to incorporate).

Posted to rec.food.baking

"chembake" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Self rising flour contains leavening agents...or baking powder..
> Regular flour is just plain all purpose flour.
>
> You can make your own SRF by adding a teaspoon of baking powder (and
> optionally a pinch or two of salt) to a cup of all purpose flour. and
> sifting it three times ( in order to incorporate).

Posted to rec.food.baking

"bfairey" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> What is the difference between self raising and regular flour and how
> do I make regular into self raising?
> Brian
> Waterloo
> Canada

Chembake gives the recipe but, as you live in Canada, it should be available
at your local supermarket. It is widely available in Calgary, for example.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.baking

Traditionally in the bakery, we used to make self raising flour for our
scones. We used the ratio of one ounce to the pund.... in other words in
today's language, it is 1:16 baking powder:/Flour

It is important to sieve well, which assists the mixing process, and also
removes any concentrated levels of baking powder.

If the reaction is too strong, or the taste is too prevalent, then reduce
the ratio.

oups.com...