Posted to rec.food.baking

Default internal temp?

I was wondering if one should strive for a specific internal temperature
when baking breads, (rye, french, sourdough). I ahve looked over quite a few
posts and have not seen any relating to this quiry.
I like to make bread every other week or so for my presonal pleasure and am
new to this group. Thannk you for any help..........Suz

Posted to rec.food.baking

suzette wrote:
> I was wondering if one should strive for a specific internal temperature
> when baking breads, (rye, french, sourdough). I ahve looked over quite a few
> posts and have not seen any relating to this quiry.
> I like to make bread every other week or so for my presonal pleasure and am
> new to this group. Thannk you for any help..........Suz

For home baking, an internal temperature in the center of the loaf of
200°F says it's done. In my classes, I teach people to poke the
thermometer into one of the slashes on top of a crusty loaf or into the
end if baked in a loaf pan. Quick-read thermometers need to be poked in
almost all the way to get an accurate reading. They're designed to give
an average reading over about 3 inches of the probe.

Professional baking has different criteria for determining doneness.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> suzette wrote:
>> I was wondering if one should strive for a specific internal temperature
>> when baking breads, (rye, french, sourdough). I ahve looked over quite a
>> few
>> posts and have not seen any relating to this quiry.
>> I like to make bread every other week or so for my presonal pleasure and
>> am
>> new to this group. Thannk you for any help..........Suz

> For home baking, an internal temperature in the center of the loaf of
> 200°F says it's done. In my classes, I teach people to poke the
> thermometer into one of the slashes on top of a crusty loaf or into the
> end if baked in a loaf pan. Quick-read thermometers need to be poked in
> almost all the way to get an accurate reading. They're designed to give an
> average reading over about 3 inches of the probe.
>
> Professional baking has different criteria for determining doneness.
>
> Pastorio

Would that temp change at high altitude? Where I'm at, the boiling point of
water is about 203 degrees, which is (obviously) 9 degrees less than sea
level. So if I measured the bread temp, would I want it 9 degrees less (193
degrees) or would I want it to get all the way to 200, which is just 3
degrees shy of the boiling point?

Donna

Posted to rec.food.baking

D.Currie wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>suzette wrote:
>>
>>>I was wondering if one should strive for a specific internal temperature
>>>when baking breads, (rye, french, sourdough). I ahve looked over quite a
>>>few
>>>posts and have not seen any relating to this quiry.
>>>I like to make bread every other week or so for my presonal pleasure and
>>>am
>>>new to this group. Thannk you for any help..........Suz

>>For home baking, an internal temperature in the center of the loaf of
>>200°F says it's done. In my classes, I teach people to poke the
>>thermometer into one of the slashes on top of a crusty loaf or into the
>>end if baked in a loaf pan. Quick-read thermometers need to be poked in
>>almost all the way to get an accurate reading. They're designed to give an
>>average reading over about 3 inches of the probe.
>>
>>Professional baking has different criteria for determining doneness.
>>
>>Pastorio

> Would that temp change at high altitude? Where I'm at, the boiling point of
> water is about 203 degrees, which is (obviously) 9 degrees less than sea
> level. So if I measured the bread temp, would I want it 9 degrees less (193
> degrees) or would I want it to get all the way to 200, which is just 3
> degrees shy of the boiling point?

It shouldn't be altered if at all possible. That 200°F represents the
temperature by which the important chemical and physical changes have
happened. Gelatinization, protein denaturing and the other events that
combine to make bread happen at certain absolute temperatures and
pressures. Significantly lower, and they don't proceed to fullness.

For me the boiling point is usually 209°F. Changes in atmospheric
pressure will cause it to fluctuate a bit

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:

>>>For home baking, an internal temperature in the center of the loaf of
>>>200°F says it's done. In my classes, I teach people to poke the
>>>thermometer into one of the slashes on top of a crusty loaf or into the
>>>end if baked in a loaf pan. Quick-read thermometers need to be poked in
>>>almost all the way to get an accurate reading. They're designed to give
>>>an average reading over about 3 inches of the probe.
>>>
>>>Professional baking has different criteria for determining doneness.
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>> Would that temp change at high altitude? Where I'm at, the boiling point
>> of water is about 203 degrees, which is (obviously) 9 degrees less than
>> sea level. So if I measured the bread temp, would I want it 9 degrees
>> less (193 degrees) or would I want it to get all the way to 200, which is
>> just 3 degrees shy of the boiling point?

> It shouldn't be altered if at all possible. That 200°F represents the
> temperature by which the important chemical and physical changes have
> happened. Gelatinization, protein denaturing and the other events that
> combine to make bread happen at certain absolute temperatures and
> pressures. Significantly lower, and they don't proceed to fullness.
>
> For me the boiling point is usually 209°F. Changes in atmospheric pressure
> will cause it to fluctuate a bit
>
> Pastorio

Okay -- just curious, anyway. I grew up at sea level, or close enough, so
this high-altitude thing has been an experience. Baking has actually been
less of a problem than things that cook in water.

Donna

Posted to rec.food.baking

D.Currie wrote:
> "Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
>
>>D.Currie wrote:

>>>Would that temp change at high altitude? Where I'm at, the boiling point
>>>of water is about 203 degrees, which is (obviously) 9 degrees less than
>>>sea level. So if I measured the bread temp, would I want it 9 degrees
>>>less (193 degrees) or would I want it to get all the way to 200, which is
>>>just 3 degrees shy of the boiling point?

>>It shouldn't be altered if at all possible. That 200°F represents the
>>temperature by which the important chemical and physical changes have
>>happened. Gelatinization, protein denaturing and the other events that
>>combine to make bread happen at certain absolute temperatures and
>>pressures. Significantly lower, and they don't proceed to fullness.
>>
>>For me the boiling point is usually 209°F. Changes in atmospheric pressure
>>will cause it to fluctuate a bit
>>
>>Pastorio

> Okay -- just curious, anyway. I grew up at sea level, or close enough, so
> this high-altitude thing has been an experience. Baking has actually been
> less of a problem than things that cook in water.

Long years ago, when I was still young, I was in Tibet. At one point, I
was told we were at something over 16,000 feet altitude and water boiled
there at about 182°F. It was surprising how quickly that "hot" water
cooled. It was explained that water was able to evaporate more quickly
because of the reduced air pressure. Faster evaporation means faster
cooling. I had trouble breathing, with any exertion.

The butter tea was too rich for my western mouth. Rice took forever to
cook.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking

"Bob (this one)" > wrote in message
> D.Currie wrote:

>>>It shouldn't be altered if at all possible. That 200°F represents the
>>>temperature by which the important chemical and physical changes have
>>>happened. Gelatinization, protein denaturing and the other events that
>>>combine to make bread happen at certain absolute temperatures and
>>>pressures. Significantly lower, and they don't proceed to fullness.
>>>
>>>For me the boiling point is usually 209°F. Changes in atmospheric
>>>pressure will cause it to fluctuate a bit
>>>
>>>Pastorio

>> Okay -- just curious, anyway. I grew up at sea level, or close enough, so
>> this high-altitude thing has been an experience. Baking has actually been
>> less of a problem than things that cook in water.

> Long years ago, when I was still young, I was in Tibet. At one point, I
> was told we were at something over 16,000 feet altitude and water boiled
> there at about 182°F. It was surprising how quickly that "hot" water
> cooled. It was explained that water was able to evaporate more quickly
> because of the reduced air pressure. Faster evaporation means faster
> cooling. I had trouble breathing, with any exertion.
>
> The butter tea was too rich for my western mouth. Rice took forever to
> cook.
>
> Pastorio

I can sort of imagine. Food here cools off faster than you'd expect,
anything cooked in water takes a lot longer, and water evaporates faster
from cooking liquid.

When we first moved here, breathing was a little harder, and I needed naps
to make it through the day if I exerted myself very much. Some people have
problems with dehydration if they aren't careful, and its said that alcohol
has a much quicker effect.

I bought a pressure cooker so I could cooked dried beans or tougher cuts of
meat in one day instead of two.

On the other hand, when I accidentally dumped boiling water and noodles on
my foot, it was still hot enough to do plenty of damage.

Now that I've adjusted to the thinner air, when I go back to sea level, I
can "feel" that the air is thicker.

The one nice effect of the thin, dry air is that in the summer, the
temperature goes down quickly when the sun sets, so if it's 90 during the
day, it's about 60 overnight, so sleeping is pleasant. And the sun effect in
winter is nice, too, so that a 50 degree winter day is nice, and 60 is tee
shirt weather.