Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Default My new scale...

My new kitchen scale arrived yesterday, a Jennings CJ-600 with 600g
capacity and 0.1g resolution. $70 total with electric adaptor, 500g
calibration weight, and shipping.

Very nice, I've never owned a scale before other than my finger postal
scale I use to weigh pot with. This new scale is accurate enough to
weigh out coke, though 0.01g resolution is needed to weigh out single
lines. But this is perfect for cooking, my first project is to activate
my packet of Bahrain sourdough starter. Now I will have no problem with
getting exact amounts of different flours (spooned flour weighs more
than sifted, weight per volume differs between different types of flour),
adding exactly the right amounts of salt, water, etc. All cups and
teaspoons are banished and everything replaced with precise measurements
in grams. It also makes me more aware of what I am eating, I can now
measure out just the right amount of ingredient to get the desired
calorie/fat/carb/etc. content.
Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,ba.food

try adding a little weed to your sd and report back to the group..also how
does adding blow affect the culture? suggestion- 2% by weight to flour.

dan w

"Let us arm ourselves more firmly with the revolutionary idea of the great
leader Comrade Kim Il Sung!" > wrote in message
news
> My new kitchen scale arrived yesterday, a Jennings CJ-600 with 600g
> capacity and 0.1g resolution. $70 total with electric adaptor, 500g
> calibration weight, and shipping.
>
> Very nice, I've never owned a scale before other than my finger postal
> scale I use to weigh pot with. This new scale is accurate enough to
> weigh out coke, though 0.01g resolution is needed to weigh out single
> lines. But this is perfect for cooking, my first project is to activate
> my packet of Bahrain sourdough starter. Now I will have no problem with
> getting exact amounts of different flours (spooned flour weighs more
> than sifted, weight per volume differs between different types of flour),
> adding exactly the right amounts of salt, water, etc. All cups and
> teaspoons are banished and everything replaced with precise measurements
> in grams. It also makes me more aware of what I am eating, I can now
> measure out just the right amount of ingredient to get the desired
> calorie/fat/carb/etc. content.

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,ba.food

Let us arm ourselves more firmly with the revolutionary idea of the
great leader Comrade Kim Il Sung! wrote:
> My new kitchen scale arrived yesterday, a Jennings CJ-600 with 600g
> capacity and 0.1g resolution. $70 total with electric adaptor, 500g
> calibration weight, and shipping.
>
> Very nice, I've never owned a scale before other than my finger postal
> scale I use to weigh pot with. This new scale is accurate enough to
> weigh out coke, though 0.01g resolution is needed to weigh out single
> lines. But this is perfect for cooking, my first project is to activate
> my packet of Bahrain sourdough starter. Now I will have no problem with
> getting exact amounts of different flours (spooned flour weighs more
> than sifted, weight per volume differs between different types of flour),
> adding exactly the right amounts of salt, water, etc. All cups and
> teaspoons are banished and everything replaced with precise measurements
> in grams. It also makes me more aware of what I am eating, I can now
> measure out just the right amount of ingredient to get the desired
> calorie/fat/carb/etc. content.

Yeah, you have to look after your health. : -)

TG

Posted to rec.food.sourdough,rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking,ba.food

TG wrote:

> Let us arm ourselves more firmly with the revolutionary idea of the
> great leader Comrade Kim Il Sung! wrote:
>> My new kitchen scale arrived yesterday, a Jennings CJ-600 with 600g
>> capacity and 0.1g resolution. $70 total with electric adaptor, 500g
>> calibration weight, and shipping.
>>
>> Very nice, I've never owned a scale before other than my finger postal
>> scale I use to weigh pot with. This new scale is accurate enough to
>> weigh out coke, though 0.01g resolution is needed to weigh out single
>> lines. But this is perfect for cooking, my first project is to activate
>> my packet of Bahrain sourdough starter. Now I will have no problem with
>> getting exact amounts of different flours (spooned flour weighs more
>> than sifted, weight per volume differs between different types of flour),
>> adding exactly the right amounts of salt, water, etc. All cups and
>> teaspoons are banished and everything replaced with precise measurements
>> in grams. It also makes me more aware of what I am eating, I can now
>> measure out just the right amount of ingredient to get the desired
>> calorie/fat/carb/etc. content.

> Yeah, you have to look after your health. : -)

A T.S. Eliot line comes to mind:

"I have measured my life out with coffee spoons."
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let us arm ourselves more firmly with the revolutionary idea of the great leader Comrade Kim Il Sung
[...]

.1 g, huh? Sweet. Does it take a while for the reading to settle on one value?

Did you purchase this scale online? And, if so, from where?

Posted to rec.food.baking

scott123 wrote...
> 1 g, huh? Sweet. Does it take a while for the reading to settle on one
> value?
>
> Did you purchase this scale online? And, if so, from where?

It takes a second or two to settle, and I bought in online from the
following company, they had very good service. You can see photos
plus all the specs:

http://www.oldwillknottscales.com