FoodBanter.com

-   -   my bread falls flat (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/83117-my-bread-falls-flat.html)

[email protected] 14-02-2006 09:17 PM

my bread falls flat

Hi,

Before I moved down here (Metairie, LA, a suburb of New Orleans), I
only used my kitchen to store Coca-Cola and OJ. But after moving, I
discovered that my immediate area had no good bread and I am used to
GOOD bread (moved from New York City). So I began to MAKE MY OWN!!!!!
Now I spend a good deal of time in the kitchen, not only to make bread!

Ever since I started I have had the same problem, which I am sure would
be solved if only I had a baker to watch what I do. I make my bread
totally by hand, no bread machine or mixer.

But my problem is a) my bread is too dense (not airy or light enough)
or b) my bread is flatter than it ought to be. Also, the top never
loks anything like the light-golden brown I see on good bread.

I have bene told that I let my 2nd rise go too long and that it's HUMID
doen here and to use less water.

HELP!!!

Boron Elgar[_1_] 15-02-2006 01:44 AM

my bread falls flat

On 14 Feb 2006 12:17:13 -0800, wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Before I moved down here (Metairie, LA, a suburb of New Orleans), I
>only used my kitchen to store Coca-Cola and OJ. But after moving, I
>discovered that my immediate area had no good bread and I am used to
>GOOD bread (moved from New York City). So I began to MAKE MY OWN!!!!!
>Now I spend a good deal of time in the kitchen, not only to make bread!
>
>Ever since I started I have had the same problem, which I am sure would
>be solved if only I had a baker to watch what I do. I make my bread
>totally by hand, no bread machine or mixer.
>
>But my problem is a) my bread is too dense (not airy or light enough)
>or b) my bread is flatter than it ought to be. Also, the top never
>loks anything like the light-golden brown I see on good bread.
>
>I have bene told that I let my 2nd rise go too long and that it's HUMID
>doen here and to use less water.
>
>HELP!!!

Why not post this, along with your recipe and technique over at
alt.bread.recipes. That is where all the bread bakers hang out.

You will have lots of folks willing to offer advice, but posting your
recipe and how you are handling/making it will provide a lot of info.

Boron

Chembake 15-02-2006 09:04 AM

my bread falls flat

>But my problem is a) my bread is too dense (not airy or light enough)
>or

As there is no recipe to look see initially these are my comments:

If the bread is dense, there are many factors that can cause it, among

The flour used likely has lower in gluten( common in southern
states,where the all purpose has lower protein content that what is
usually available in northern states

Are you thoroughly familiar with hand kneading and the required end
point when to stop?

Did you ferment the dough properly and have it knocked back then
letting it rise again?

Did you use the right amount of yeast?

b) my bread is flatter than it ought to be. Also, the top never
>loks anything like the light-golden brown I see on good bread.

A dough that is fermented for a short time before being divided and
molded results in a young dough that led to flattish appearing bread.

>I have bene told that I let my 2nd rise go too long and that it's HUMID

doen here and to use less water.

If what you mean by second rise is the proofing, yes if its allowed to
stay longer than required the bread will also appear flattish looking(
called in bakery parlance as overproofed dough which results with pale
crust).

This can be improved by baking at higher temperature to force the dough
to kick start the dough expansion.

IMO humidity is not the issue here, as its needed by the dough to keep
the proofing even and no crust drying will occur.
What you have to look for is the fermentation time. If the dough
appears flattish then you have to reduce the proofing time and use the
finger indent test to see if your dough is properly risen:
If when pushed gently with finger tips the dough springs back
immediately, it needs more rising time
Whereas if the indentation remains in the dough, its already on the way
to overproofing
A properly proofed dough when gently pressed with finger will gradually
springs back the indentation.
If it happens that the risen dough tends to decrease in volume when
pressed, its already overproofed,

BTW, just like what Boron suggested if you can show the recipe with
the procedure many people can pitch in and give yuo valuable
suggestion.

[email protected] 18-02-2006 01:01 AM

my bread falls flat

Thank you Chembake, I will try to apply your thinking the next times I
make bread.

My problem with placing a recipe is I have used 4 recipes from 3
different books and they all have the same problems. It is either my
location, my oven or me. I suspect it's ME. While I think I am doing
what I ought to, I have no one watching to interrupt with "you moron,
don't do THAT! The recipe doesn't say THAT!"

Thanks again,

David

[email protected] 25-02-2006 12:20 AM

my bread falls flat

Hi Chembake,

Thanks for your patience.

Here is the recipe I use most often.
http://www.davidkabraham.com/my%20bread%20recipe.htm

Click on the thumbnail photos so that you can read the recipes.

David

Thanks in advance

Chembake 25-02-2006 12:54 AM

my bread falls flat

Hi David
David
>The following recipe is one of several recipes I have followed to make my >own bread. But it is the recipe I have used most >often. Keep in mind: I have >neither bread machine nor dough mixer; I use muscle power.
>My problem is that my bread is always {heavier / more dense / less filled with >holes / smaller holed / less tall} than it ought >to be This is especially true of bread I bake on a cookie sheet rather than in a >loaf pan; it spreads rather than rises, but >even my loaf bread rises >inadequately.

You are following the standards of the British Bread baking.Their kind
of breads are supposed to be heavier than American type breads of the
same genre. One major factor is that British flour has slightly lower
gluten content that typical American breadmaking flours.

The recipe looks okay...but the way you are making it maybe what makes
the difference.
First...did you knead the dough until fully developed...? really
smooth? Following the timing is not enough....people have different
physical fitness and the kneading process can affected by that
also...An underdeveloped dough can lead to heavier loaves with lesser
volume.
Did it pass the window pane test?

Is the dough wet appearing...or slack. If that is that way then its you
have to reduce your water content slightly.
A firmer dough is not likely to flatten out during rising.
Did you mold your bread tightly... ? that is a factor that can
influence the bread to flatten during proofing....which is the result
of loose molding.It takes some time to be proficient in bread molding.

>The taste is OK and the crust is chewy (too chewy) but the bread is not as light as professional bread

What is your basis for the so called professional bread..? It is the
one you can buy from nearby supermarket...? or from specialty artisanal
bakeries...?
If you are looking for the former then you will have difficulty in
getting it to rise to the lightness....These folks are using additives
to enhance the bread volume....
Meanwhile artisanal breads are not necessarily light nor
heavy....however it depends upon the kind of bread also.
One way to improve the crumb texture is to add diastatic malt as that
will open up the crumb grain and improve oven spring...the malt can be
in syrup or in powder form..
Another thing that improves volume and symmetry is to increase the salt
by half a teaspoon but first bulk ferment it twice.
Most UK professional bread contains 2 tsp salt per 500 grams of flour.
By then the dough is really stable and can withstand better with
increased rising time which results is bigger loaves.

Ferment one and a half hour then knock it back and let it rise more by
quarter of an hour then divide it let it rest for 15 minutes then mold.

Allow it to rise properly and check by using the indent test before
you bake it.
Push your fingertip into the dough and if it retracts immediately it
needs more rising...
If the indentation slowly springs back....then its right for baking
Try these things and let us see the result

Chembake 25-02-2006 12:57 AM

my bread falls flat

>Ferment one and a half hour then knock it back and let it rise more by
>quarter of an hour then divide it let it rest for 15 minutes then mold.

Oops!

I mean afer the first rise ...let it rise by three quarters of an hour
more ....before you divide it.

Bob (this one) 25-02-2006 04:17 AM

Unusual bread technique

chembake wrote:

> Ferment one and a half hour then knock it back and let it rise more by
> quarter of an hour then divide it let it rest for 15 minutes then mold.

Hey, chembake...

I've been trying to get home-made French bread to approximate the bakery
versions for an article I'm writing. They haven't been bad, but neither
were they good.

A Northern Italian professional baker who recently located near here
said my proportions were fine, but I needed to change the times and
volumes of rise. He also said I should let it work at 75°F rather than
warmer or cooler.

Mix with cool water. He said it can be done in a mixer, by hand or in a
processor. As long as the dough doesn't get warm. Knead 50 strokes. Put
into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise.

First rise takes between 1 1/2 and 2 hours (in a bowl that he said not
to grease, so I didn't, and a tiny bit stuck. Not enough to make a
difference.), but only rises to about 150% of initial volume. It rises,
but it's dense. Then punch down and knead 50 strokes, floured board. Let
rest for a few minutes and roll and pull to a 14-inch rectangle and roll
from the wide sides into the center (as though making palmiers). Pinch
the seam, turn it on its side and roll/pull again. And bring in the
sides again and pinch it closed. Let rise on floured towel (no sticks to
hold them up - dough stiff enough not to need it) seam side up, covered
with floured towels, until it rises to three times volume. Roll over
onto peel, slash and bake on a stone or a baguette pan (done both and
both were excellent) at 450°F for 20 minutes (throw 1/2 cup water into
the oven), lower heat to 400°F for another 20 minutes.

It's all wrong if my school baking instructors are to be believed.
Overworked. Dough too stiff - 460 grams flour (strange mixture - 450
grams high gluten and 10 grams whole wheat - never heard of anything
like that), 300 gms water (salt, yeast) - and this 75°F is either too
cool or too warm depending on whether a warm or cold rise, by normal
processes.

The bread was wonderful. When it was cooling, it "sang" as the crust
crackled. The inside was chewy and light, even bubbles, moist crumb, no
sign of layers. Clean crust. I washed one with egg white to see how it
would take and it shined like it was made of golden glass. Very high
gloss, full gelatinization in the crust, no porosities except in the
slash, which I didn't wash.

What do you think of this recipe approach? Three rises, two full kneads
and then the forming and shaping that was to roll out, fold and re-roll
and re-fold. Triple volume for the shaped loaves? I also tried it with
quick-rise yeast and, as I expected, the finished flavor was nowhere
near as good as with the Red Star dry active. Texture was good, slightly
faster, but it tasted like supermarket French bread.

Pastorio

Chembake 25-02-2006 06:30 AM

Unusual bread technique

Hey, chembake...
>I've been trying to get home-made French bread to approximate the bakery
>versions for an article I'm writing. They haven't been bad, but neither
>were they good.
>A Northern Italian professional baker who recently located near here
>said my proportions were fine, but I needed to change the times and
>volumes of rise. He also said I should let it work at 75°F rather than
>warmer or cooler.
>Mix with cool water. He said it can be done in a mixer, by hand or in a
>processor. As long as the dough doesn't get warm. Knead 50 strokes. Put
>into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise.
>First rise takes between 1 1/2 and 2 hours (in a bowl that he said not
>to grease, so I didn't, and a tiny bit stuck. Not enough to make a
>difference.), but only rises to about 150% of initial volume. It rises,
>but it's dense.

Hi Bob!
It seems that your dough is still young when you punched it.I am not
aware if the yeast you are using is really that active or the amount is
sufficient.I have some perception that the dough is rather tight.

>Then punch down and knead 50 strokes, floured board.

I don't understand that procedure what is the need for 50
strokes....?
Is Gary Coleman the baking tutor of your instructor..?.
Different strokes for different folks? <just joking> But That procedure
will result in a tighter crumb...which can be elastic

> Let
>rest for a few minutes and roll and pull to a 14-inch rectangle and roll
>from the wide sides into the center (as though making palmiers).

Bob that is not the way how to mold a French stick properly,,,but that
is how beginners used to mold their breads.
Or Unless the bread is really firm that rolling it like a Swiss roll is
the way to get an even dimension of the loaf.

>Pinch
>the seam, turn it on its side and roll/pull again. And bring in the
>sides again and pinch it closed. Let rise on floured towel (no sticks to
>hold them up - dough stiff enough not to need it) seam side up, covered
>with floured towels, until it rises to three times volume. Roll over
>onto peel, slash and bake on a stone or a baguette pan (done both and
>both were excellent) at 450°F for 20 minutes (throw 1/2 cup water into
>the oven), lower heat to 400°F for another 20 minutes.

The water should be thrown earlier to create steam, before the loaves
are loaded and not after,,,maybe the oven is leaky...?Anyway some
people do that and still can get a satisfactory crust but not the best.

>It's all wrong if my school baking instructors are to be believed.
>Overworked. Dough too stiff - 460 grams flour (strange mixture - 450
>grams high gluten and 10 grams whole wheat - never heard of anything
>like that), 300 gms water (salt, yeast) - and this 75°F is either too
>cool or too warm depending on whether a warm or cold rise, by normal
>processes.

Your recipe states 460 grams flour and 450 grams high gluten flour and
10 grams whole wheat flour. Assuming your first flour is all purpose
and the second is high gluten then the total flour protein content
460/920 x11 + 450/920 x14 +10/920 X 14.5=5.5 +6.85 +0.15=12.5% protein,
still within range for a general purpose bread flour.Now you added 300
grams water for a 920 grams flour ?...you are making an extremely tight
dough.!Think about it the absorption is 32 %.

This looks like a recipe for a pasta dough not a bread dough to me...
It might have been better If he replaced all the flour combination with
durum semolina (the yeast was not added) and the water replaced with
eggs and then passed to the pasta machine <grin>.
I think your teacher was a former pasta maker who think he can convert
his pasta recipe into bread by modification of the ingredients and
including some yeast.
I am sorry to tell....this instructor of yours baking skills is of an
apprentice bread baker...I think you can teach him how to do breads
better than the other way around...I know a lot of chefs are
moonlighting as bread bakers and indeed many of them can attain good
bread making skills.

>The bread was wonderful. When it was cooling, it "sang" as the crust
>crackled.

Hmmn...I would imagine the dough is humming the Ride of the Valkyrie by
Wagner<grin>...I mean the cracking can have a rhythm..?

> The inside was chewy and light, even bubbles, moist crumb, no
>sign of layers. Clean crust. I washed one with egg white to see how it
>would take and it shined like it was made of golden glass. Very high
>gloss, full gelatinization in the crust, no porosities except in the
>slash, which I didn't wash.

IMO a French bread does not need to be washed...but as that is in the
home situation and not the ideal oven for such item, that will help the
crust formation and browning but the color will not look natural.

>What do you think of this recipe approach?

Honestly...I don't find the recipe and methods represent true French
bread..
It's a mish mash of pasta making and bread making!
First the dough is tight and the crumb grain is expectedly tp be
closed grained ( which is a defect). A dough for French bread should be
soft not tight. The crumb should be irregular and open and the crust
appearance does not necessarily be glassy appearing but will have crust
cracking in some places. The slash should expand extensively even
showing the surface to bulge.
The use of firm dough is like some women who inject silicone in their
bosoms to create a bold look<grin>.. Yes it looks nice and sexy,
But ...I don't get turned on by that<grin>..

>Three rises,

That's reasonable if done properly...with proper recipe.

>two full kneads and then the forming and shaping that was to roll out,

If the dough was undermixed or made by autolysis method there is a need
for some kneading but if the dough is fully mixed... its not
recommended as that will further tighten (and oxidize) the dough
resulting in blander bread taste.

> fold and re-roll and re-fold. Triple volume for the shaped loaves? I also tried it >with
>quick-rise yeast and, as I expected, the finished flavor was nowhere
>near as good as with the Red Star dry active.

BTW what kind of yeast were you using is it compressed, or instant? The
supposed better flavor from Red Star dry active was from the autolysis
by product of dead yeast cells .That will produced peptones and
peptides which are enzymatically broken down to more amino acids and
degradation products of yeast cells( nucleic acids ) that provide
better bread aroma than with bread made with fresh yeast nor instant
yeast which is deficient in such dead cells.

>Texture was good, slightly
>faster, but it tasted like supermarket French bread.

I am not sure what you mean by faster, but its expected that the bread
taste slightly better than cardboard.<grin>..

Bob (this one) 26-02-2006 06:25 AM

Unusual bread technique

chembake wrote:
> Hey, chembake...
>
>> I've been trying to get home-made French bread to approximate the
>> bakery versions for an article I'm writing. They haven't been bad,
>> but neither were they good. A Northern Italian professional baker
>> who recently located near here said my proportions were fine, but I
>> needed to change the times and volumes of rise. He also said I
>> should let it work at 75°F rather than warmer or cooler. Mix with
>> cool water. He said it can be done in a mixer, by hand or in a
>> processor. As long as the dough doesn't get warm. Knead 50 strokes.
>> Put into a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise. First rise
>> takes between 1 1/2 and 2 hours (in a bowl that he said not to
>> grease, so I didn't, and a tiny bit stuck. Not enough to make a
>> difference.), but only rises to about 150% of initial volume. It
>> rises, but it's dense.

> Hi Bob! It seems that your dough is still young when you punched
> it.I am not aware if the yeast you are using is really that active or
> the amount is sufficient.I have some perception that the dough is
> rather tight.

The dough *is* tight. That's why I was asking your opinion about it. I
let it develop for 1 1/2 hours before the second kneading.

>> Then punch down and knead 50 strokes, floured board.

> I don't understand that procedure what is the need for 50
> strokes....? Is Gary Coleman the baking tutor of your instructor..?.
> Different strokes for different folks? <just joking> But That
> procedure will result in a tighter crumb...which can be elastic

I know. And it should have produced an extremely chewy bread. But it didn't.

>> Let rest for a few minutes and roll and pull to a 14-inch rectangle
>> and roll from the wide sides into the center (as though making
>> palmiers).

> Bob that is not the way how to mold a French stick properly,,,but
> that is how beginners used to mold their breads. Or Unless the bread
> is really firm that rolling it like a Swiss roll is the way to get an
> even dimension of the loaf.

I usually have done it as a single roll from one side. It's been good
enough, but this result was far better.

>> Pinch the seam, turn it on its side and roll/pull again. And bring
>> in the sides again and pinch it closed. Let rise on floured towel
>> (no sticks to hold them up - dough stiff enough not to need it)
>> seam side up, covered with floured towels, until it rises to three
>> times volume. Roll over onto peel, slash and bake on a stone or a
>> baguette pan (done both and both were excellent) at 450°F for 20
>> minutes (throw 1/2 cup water into the oven), lower heat to 400°F
>> for another 20 minutes.

> The water should be thrown earlier to create steam, before the loaves
> are loaded and not after,,,maybe the oven is leaky...?Anyway some
> people do that and still can get a satisfactory crust but not the
> best.

I didn't write it well. I threw the water in and maybe 30 seconds later
put the bread in.

>> It's all wrong if my school baking instructors are to be believed.
>> Overworked. Dough too stiff - 460 grams flour (strange mixture -
>> 450 grams high gluten and 10 grams whole wheat - never heard of
>> anything like that), 300 gms water (salt, yeast) - and this 75°F is
>> either too cool or too warm depending on whether a warm or cold
>> rise, by normal processes.

> Your recipe states 460 grams flour and 450 grams high gluten flour
> and 10 grams whole wheat flour. Assuming your first flour is all
> purpose

Oops. I meant that it was 460 grams total, comprised of 450 grams bread
flour and 10 grams whole wheat. Sorry for the confusion.

King Arthur unbleached bread flour - 12.7%. King Arthur traditional
whole wheat - 14.2%

> and the second is high gluten then the total flour protein content
> 460/920 x11 + 450/920 x14 +10/920 X 14.5=5.5 +6.85 +0.15=12.5%
> protein, still within range for a general purpose bread flour. Now
> you added 300 grams water for a 920 grams flour ?...you are making an
> extremely tight dough.! Think about it the absorption is 32 %.

32% hydration, and Schwarzenegger couldn't work it...<G>

Actually comes to a little over 12.7% protein, a small fraction over.

300 grams water for a total of 460 grams flour.

65% hydration. This is actually a bit higher than what we did in my
restaurant. There, with constant, low-pressure steam injection, we used
a 58% standard.

> This looks like a recipe for a pasta dough not a bread dough

<LOL> Not quite that tight... but I see how you thought that.

>> The bread was wonderful. When it was cooling, it "sang" as the
>> crust crackled.

> Hmmn...I would imagine the dough is humming the Ride of the Valkyrie
> by Wagner<grin>...I mean the cracking can have a rhythm..?

No rhythm. <G> But a nice melody. Just that quiet crackling sound from a
good crust in the moments after coming out of the oven.

>> The inside was chewy and light, even bubbles, moist crumb, no sign
>> of layers. Clean crust. I washed one with egg white to see how it
>> would take and it shined like it was made of golden glass. Very
>> high gloss, full gelatinization in the crust, no porosities except
>> in the slash, which I didn't wash.

> IMO a French bread does not need to be washed...but as that is in the
> home situation and not the ideal oven for such item, that will help
> the crust formation and browning but the color will not look natural.

Understand. I washed it after taking it out of the oven. I don't like
the color of breads egg-washed before.

>> What do you think of this recipe approach?

> Honestly...I don't find the recipe and methods represent true French
> bread..

Sorry for the confusion. For a minute I couldn't understand how you got
your 32% figure... Then I looked closer.

> The use of firm dough is like some women who inject silicone in their
> bosoms to create a bold look<grin>.. Yes it looks nice and sexy, But
> ...I don't get turned on by that<grin>..

I know. But it's a good protection in case they fall forward.

Pastorio

Chembake 26-02-2006 09:40 AM

Unusual bread technique

>The dough *is* tight. That's why I was asking your opinion about it. I
>let it develop for 1 1/2 hours before the second kneading.

Hi Bob

I think the dough needs more fermentation before it needs to be
punched. 1.5 times the increase in volume is not enough. It should have
at least doubled in volume before you knock it down.

a finger indent could indicate if its right for the first punch

>I know. And it should have produced an extremely chewy bread. But it didn't.

If that is the case then the kneading was not that strenuous to tighten
the gluten? It was just a means to create a form of a tight skin on the
dough and allow it to subdivide the bigger gas cells into half or
lesser pore diameters.

>> Let rest for a few minutes and roll and pull to a 14-inch rectangle
>> and roll from the wide sides into the center (as though making
>> palmiers).

> Bob that is not the way how to mold a French stick properly,,,but
> that is how beginners used to mold their breads. Or Unless the bread
> is really firm that rolling it like a Swiss roll is the way to get an
> even dimension of the loaf.

On re reading the post yeah , it just came to my mind that is one way
I used to mold my baguette by first pressing the well rested dough
piece to an oblong shape and then from the wide side fold it into the
center , then fold it in half then from starting from the wide side
roll it toward you until you reach the end of the other side then using
the heel of your hand press it to seal the seam evenly and rolling it a
few times to get the well rounded shape and rolling it back and forth
while your hands are moving opposite of each other until you reach the
ends of the cylindrical dough.
This technique is commonly used by bakers who hand mold baguettes.

>I usually have done it as a single roll from one side. It's been good
>enough, but this result was far better.

This is the way how the machine mold that particular dough to shape.

>> Pinch the seam, turn it on its side and roll/pull again. And bring
>> in the sides again and pinch it closed. Let rise on floured towel
>> (no sticks to hold them up - dough stiff enough not to need it)
>> seam side up, covered with floured towels, until it rises to three
>> times volume. Roll over onto peel, slash and bake on a stone or a
>> baguette pan (done both and both were excellent) at 450°F for 20
>> minutes (throw 1/2 cup water into the oven), lower heat to 400°F
>> for another 20 minutes.

Hmnn that method is familiar , yes but if we baked on a baguette pan
the seams are put underneath not above; however if we proofed it on
cloche we placed the seam upward which we arrange it on the canvas
setter seam down before we load it into the oven.

> The water should be thrown earlier to create steam, before the loaves
> are loaded and not after,,,maybe the oven is leaky...?Anyway some
> people do that and still can get a satisfactory crust but not the
> best.

>I didn't write it well. I threw the water in and maybe 30 seconds later

put the bread in.

Ahh , that make sense...

Oops. I meant that it was 460 grams total, comprised of 450 grams bread

flour and 10 grams whole wheat. Sorry for the confusion.

>65% hydration. This is actually a bit higher than what we did in my
>restaurant. There, with constant, low-pressure steam injection, we used
>a 58% standard.

At 65% hydration and 12.7% protein it will be firm dough that does not
spread much during baking but will maintain its symmetrical rounded
shape when baked.

>> The bread was wonderful. When it was cooling, it "sang" as the
>> crust crackled.

>No rhythm. <G> But a nice melody. Just that quiet crackling sound from a
>good crust in the moments after coming out of the oven.

I know what you mean....the melody of cracking crust is like a
musical rap by Eminem or 50 Cents.?<grin>..

>> The inside was chewy and light, even bubbles, moist crumb, no sign
>> of layers. Clean crust. I washed one with egg white to see how it
>> would take and it shined like it was made of golden glass. Very
>> high gloss, full gelatinization in the crust, no porosities except
>> in the slash, which I didn't wash.

A French bread that has a fine even grained is frowned by old time
French bakers as not authentic , but a *******ized version.
I remember one time a visiting French baker in one bakery described
that appearance as a sign of mediocre skill to the one who made it.

>Understand. I washed it after taking it out of the oven. I don't like
>the color of breads egg-washed before.

Ahh that makes sense ,, yes indeed ...an egg white glaze is sometimes
used b y some bakers in the hotel kitchen to impress the executive
chef...

One time in the past I remember one proud hotel baker ; who ,in front
of the executive chef the head baker tried to impress him of the
quality of the glaze of his freshly baked bread that ; took his cap and
tried to use the reflection of the egg white glazed bread to check
if his new hair cut was right<G>.

>> What do you think of this recipe approach?

> Honestly...I don't find the recipe and methods represent true French
> bread..

Now that everything is clear, the method looks alright but regarding
the recipe, I am not sure if the one and a half hour first
fermentation is sufficient as the bread appears to be young when
knocked down.
If the recipe was like this ratio 100/65/2/2 which corresponds to
flour/water/ fresh yeast/ and salt. Its not enough . At that protein
level of 12.7 it might need more water to get the softer consistency

>Sorry for the confusion. For a minute I couldn't understand how you got
>your 32% figure... Then I looked closer.

> The use of firm dough is like some women who inject silicone in their
> bosoms to create a bold look<grin>.. Yes it looks nice and sexy, But
> ...I don't get turned on by that<grin>..

>I know. But it's a good protection in case they fall forward.

Yup..... bread or women falling over .......a firm dough or silicone
reinforced bosom could offer some protection...<G>

Going back to the direction you stated that the bread is first kneaded
50 strokes that after mixing allowed to ferment in bulk for 1.5 to 2
hours then its knocked down and kneaded 50 times then allowed to rest
for few minutes then divided and allowed to rest again before its
rolled to a rectangle prior to final molding.
Now if the flour has a high protein level say nearly 13% then to get
the dough temperature of around 75 degF you can't mix it until well
developed and that is one reason why it does not rise as well to get a
double or triple the volume of the first bulk fermentation..Assuming
the dough is undermixed then that answers the question why there is a
need to knead 50 strokes twice....
\That state of undermixed dough from a strong flour is also conducive
in providing a close grained crumb texture.
Another comment is that the fermentation time was not applied properly
to result in the right fermentation maturity so that the bread flavor
is maximized. I anticipate that this particular system was unable to
get the best flavored French bread.
It should be allowed to mature for at least two hours , then knocked
back, folded and then allowed to rise for an hour, then divided and
formed into loaves allowed to rest for half and hour before its finally
molded to the proper shape.
With these later method the crumb grain will be more open and looks
more of a French bread and is expected to have better flavor.
I anticipate that the oven spring will be just as good( or even
better) and the bread appearance is more bold looking.

If the baker only wants to ferment at the system you have shown he
should just have use all purpose flour and reduced the hydration by 5%
to get a formula ratio of 100/60/2/2. or flour/ water/ fresh yeast and
salt.
Even with such reduced gluten content by using a medium gluten flour (
11%) the lack of good fermentation is still insufficient to bring out
the desired bread flavor.

It would have been better if that is the system ( you related) if he
just added and old refrigerated dough from yesterdays batch so it
could have improved the bread quality dramatically.

One further comment from the Italian baker , he is more keen to bake
French bread in the way how Italians made their bread.
In the same way how foreign bakers interpret that bread similarly..

By the way did the bread really taste good and how was it when cooled 5
hours after?

By thinking about the methods the bread did not provide much flavor as
the fermentation is short and the flour is a bit strong

\

Bob (this one) 26-02-2006 06:28 PM

Unusual bread technique

chembake wrote:

> One further comment from the Italian baker, he is more keen to bake
> French bread in the way how Italians made their bread.
> In the same way how foreign bakers interpret that bread similarly..

Possibility.

> By the way did the bread really taste good and how was it when cooled 5
> hours after?

It truly was the best home-made crusty bread I've ever tasted - mine or
anyone else's. It was better than the average bakery bread and was only
beaten by very good bakery product. Good texture. Good crust. Good
flavor. I'm still amazed. As you would expect, it was almost stale the
next day. It made wonderful croutons, good French toast. I grilled a few
slices for bruschetta; tasted good and was correctly crispy.

My 14-year-old daughter came home with some friends who saw the loaves
resting on the kitchen island. They thought it was bakery bread when
they saw it it looked like it. My daughter asked if she could have some.
Two 1-pound loaves, 4 ounces butter gone between 6 teenagers. My
daughter mixed 1/2 cup olive oil and a couple tablespoons good balsamic
to dip. The other kids tried that, too. <LOL> Sounds like me at that
age. Eat anything that doesn't move.

Two of the kids are in my daughter's French class where her teacher
brings bread from an upscale bakery near her house. One kid said it was
better than that bread.

> By thinking about the methods the bread did not provide much flavor as
> the fermentation is short and the flour is a bit strong

The total fermentation time for the three rises of that batch was 5 1/2
hours, and the kitchen smelled like it. That wonderful bread-wine smell
from the fermentation.

I shaped the loaves and let them rise sitting on floured towels, seam
up. They held shape very well. I rolled them over onto a floured peel to
slide onto the baking stone, seam down. The dough was light, but still
firm enough to show slight traces of the seam when baked.

The ones I did on the baguette pan were equally good, maybe even a bit
better. The bottom crust wasn't as thick as the bread baked on stone.

This is how I'll make this kind of bread again.

Pastorio

Chembake 27-02-2006 06:13 AM

Unusual bread technique

>The total fermentation time for the three rises of that batch was 5 1/2
>hours, and the kitchen smelled like it. That wonderful bread-wine smell
>from the fermentation.

If you said that the first fermentation was 2 hours then few minutes in
between brisk kneading plus some minutes in intermediate proof then
the total is just within 3 hours...now the proofing is around 1 1/2 to
2 hours.. total of five hours plus half and hour of baking .

..That is a somewhat short for classical good quality French bread
IMO and experience
Five and half hours is not enough to produce the desired fermentation
flavor that is produced by artisanal type french bread which is the
considered the yardstick for quality ...

An old time French baker whom I had worked for some time in the past
remarked that ordinary french bread made in many parts of France in
midnight and baked in the morning ,,,is just ordinary tasting...

>This is how I'll make this kind of bread again

If you are already happy with that kind of bread .....then good for
you..

Bob (this one) 27-02-2006 10:49 AM

Unusual bread technique

chembake wrote:
>>The total fermentation time for the three rises of that batch was 5 1/2
>>hours, and the kitchen smelled like it. That wonderful bread-wine smell
>>from the fermentation.

> If you said that the first fermentation was 2 hours then few minutes in
> between brisk kneading plus some minutes in intermediate proof then
> the total is just within 3 hours...now the proofing is around 1 1/2 to
> 2 hours.. total of five hours plus half and hour of baking .

First fermentation - 1 1/2 hours.
second - 2 hours
third - 2 hours.
At cool room temperature.

30-35 minute bake time.

> ..That is a somewhat short for classical good quality French bread
> IMO and experience

I agree. But this isn't classical French bread.

> Five and half hours is not enough to produce the desired fermentation
> flavor that is produced by artisanal type french bread which is the
> considered the yardstick for quality ...

I confess that I prefer a Parisian-style bread over the more artisanal
or rustic loaves. Living in Paris and then Brussels probably prejudiced
me in that regard.

> An old time French baker whom I had worked for some time in the past
> remarked that ordinary french bread made in many parts of France in
> midnight and baked in the morning ,,,is just ordinary tasting...

<G> Everybody's an expert about what they like, no...? My German
neighbor in New Jersey used to make her dough one morning and bake it
the next morning. 24 hours development for her bread which she started
with a "poolish," about which she said, and with which I agreed, it gave
a wonderful "mature yeast flavor" as she used to say.

>>This is how I'll make this kind of bread again

> If you are already happy with that kind of bread .....then good for
> you..

I made four loaves Sunday. Company for afternoon conversation and
dinner. They sipped wine (I may have had a little myself) and watched me
make bread. We ate two with dinner. They took two home and left me with
none. <G> More tomorrow after the radio program.

Pastorio

Chembake 27-02-2006 11:35 AM

Unusual bread technique

>First fermentation - 1 1/2 hours.
>second - 2 hours
>third - 2 hours.
>At cool room temperature.

Is this just bulk or total fermentation including proofing...?

I was interpreting your recipe as bulk fermentation 1-1/2 to 2 hours
then knock down knead briskly and let rest for few minutes. The time
involved after the initial fermentation plus hand in kneading and
intermittent rest is roughly an hour maximum. So I estimated it to be
3 hours. Then you said its was more than 5 hours how could it be....
Its either the proofing takes 2 hours. or more..
How long is the proofing time...or can you describe the fermentation
and proofing duration?

There is a difference between true fermentation ( which is occurs when
the dough is mixed and right after the dough is loaded in the oven
before the yeast is inactivated by heat) and bakers fermentation, in
which the latter many bakers consider it more as bulk fermentation
and does not include the proofing stage.
I was thinking along the line of true fermentation in your case...
So what is the real score...? is the total fermentation time includes
the bulk, including knockdown the intermediate and final proof?

Because if you say so I still cannot believe that you can extract good
bread flavor from that....
Unless the fermentation was really long enough and not what I expected
earlier.

> confess that I prefer a Parisian-style bread over the more artisanal
>or rustic loaves. Living in Paris and then Brussels probably prejudiced
>me in that regard.

That answers the question that Old French baker I mentioned above that
he lamented that his countrymen does not know anymore what real bread
is.....
I told him all of those bread are real.....he frowned on me. And
said...It is just that modern people specially the younger generation
(like me) does not care about good bread anymore.....I insisted to him
all of these bread are good...!
Maybe for you ...as you have never undergone my training.....but for me
No.....if you only think how we are trained differently in the past and
how we are taught to assess regularly the quality of bread we made ;
and sometimes our mentors visited our workplace and assess our bread
and graded our skills if we have improved after the years we passed our
apprenticeships
..For every bread there is a criteria for quality such as in terms of
external and internal appearance, bloom, crust quality, flavor and
taste, keeping quality, etc to me modern French bread does not fit
that category but is as good as garbage.
People of my generation would not eat that kind of bread .
To prevent further argument with the old man ( he is nearly 80 years
old) I just smiled and keep silent in order to maintain our good
relationship...
Until he passed a few years later he never retracted his opinion that
modern bread is not good for eating....as it lacks substance...and
taste that he is used to.

Some years after..
When I browsed Raymond Calvels book , and found related ideas I
started to believe that the old French baker has a valid reason for
his statement....which is true if you have to look at the historical
side of French Breadmaking....and compare it to recent years...from the
artisanal point of view.

>I agree. But this isn't classical French bread.

That makes sense...

Bob (this one) 28-02-2006 12:13 PM

Unusual bread technique

chembake wrote:
>>First fermentation - 1 1/2 hours.
>>second - 2 hours
>>third - 2 hours.
>>At cool room temperature.

> Is this just bulk or total fermentation including proofing...?
>
> I was interpreting your recipe as bulk fermentation 1-1/2 to 2 hours
> then knock down knead briskly and let rest for few minutes. The time
> involved after the initial fermentation plus hand in kneading and
> intermittent rest is roughly an hour maximum. So I estimated it to be
> 3 hours. Then you said its was more than 5 hours how could it be....
> Its either the proofing takes 2 hours. or more..
> How long is the proofing time...or can you describe the fermentation
> and proofing duration?

We're talking about the same things, just with different vocabularies. I
use the word "fermentation" for each development stage. So by my way of
describing it, it ferments in the bowl after mixing (1 1/2 hours). It
ferments more after being punched down and kneaded again (2 hours). It
ferments yet more when the shaped loaves rise (2 hours). It gets a very
good oven-shoot after all that time and with all that manipulation.

> There is a difference between true fermentation (which is occurs when
> the dough is mixed and right after the dough is loaded in the oven
> before the yeast is inactivated by heat) and bakers fermentation, in
> which the latter many bakers consider it more as bulk fermentation
> and does not include the proofing stage.
> I was thinking along the line of true fermentation in your case...
> So what is the real score...? is the total fermentation time includes
> the bulk, including knockdown the intermediate and final proof?
>
> Because if you say so I still cannot believe that you can extract good
> bread flavor from that....
> Unless the fermentation was really long enough and not what I expected
> earlier.

Put it this way. From the time I mix the dough until I put it into an
oven is 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I decide by eye when to bake it.

I tried some today where I made the dough yesterday afternoon and left
it in the refrigerator overnight. This afternoon, I punched it down and
kneaded it more. Left it out of the cooler to rise again. Shaped it into
four loaves and let it rise on canvas, covered, for two and a half
hours. Baked it. It was a bit better in flavor, texture and crumb than
doing it the other way. But I don't think I'd do it this way normally.
Better, yes. Enough better to take the time and cooler space, not for
everyday.

>>confess that I prefer a Parisian-style bread over the more artisanal
>>or rustic loaves. Living in Paris and then Brussels probably prejudiced
>>me in that regard.

> That answers the question that Old French baker I mentioned above that
> he lamented that his countrymen does not know anymore what real bread
> is.....
> I told him all of those bread are real.....he frowned on me. And
> said...It is just that modern people specially the younger generation
> (like me) does not care about good bread anymore.....I insisted to him
> all of these bread are good...!
> Maybe for you ...as you have never undergone my training.....but for me
> No.....if you only think how we are trained differently in the past and
> how we are taught to assess regularly the quality of bread we made;
> and sometimes our mentors visited our workplace and assess our bread
> and graded our skills if we have improved after the years we passed our
> apprenticeships
> ..For every bread there is a criteria for quality such as in terms of
> external and internal appearance, bloom, crust quality, flavor and
> taste, keeping quality, etc to me modern French bread does not fit
> that category but is as good as garbage.
> People of my generation would not eat that kind of bread .
> To prevent further argument with the old man (he is nearly 80 years
> old) I just smiled and keep silent in order to maintain our good
> relationship...
> Until he passed a few years later he never retracted his opinion that
> modern bread is not good for eating....as it lacks substance...and
> taste that he is used to.

<G> I got the same thing when I wandered around the French and Italian
countrysides. I stayed in little hotels and pensions away from the city
people and city things. I liked the bread when it was about 5 hours old.
Less than that and it wasn't "mature." More than that and it was
starting to stale.

> Some years after..
> When I browsed Raymond Calvels book , and found related ideas I
> started to believe that the old French baker has a valid reason for
> his statement....which is true if you have to look at the historical
> side of French Breadmaking....and compare it to recent years...from the
> artisanal point of view.

In some ways, I agree with him. A lot of the old skills and ways have
been lost or compromised. I think that the "Slow Food" people see things
in that way and are trying to preserve the better ones. I've had breads
made with starters as old as the bakers, that were cold-fermented for a
day and a half. Wonderful. But I don't want to do that, so I have to
settle for a compromise in some areas.

And, I don't really want to be in a kitchen without mixers. I'd like to
keep my dough sheeter, too, for the things it's good for (like 50
gingerbread houses each Christmas when I had the restaurants and shops).
I've baked in wood-burning ovens, and I like the control of modern ovens
better. But each remove from the old ways makes the product change. Some
modern changes I think are better.

I don't really like breads with very dark crusts and scorch marks. My
grandparents did. The northern Italians made a thing from their villages
halfway between a pizza and a ****aladiere, and they said it was ready
when it had black patches on the bottom. My grandfather said it had a
smoky (sfumato) flavor. I say it tastes like burned toast with onions on
it. <G>

It's all about taste, I think.

Pastorio

Chembake 01-03-2006 09:03 AM

Unusual bread technique

>We're talking about the same things, just with different vocabularies. I
>use the word "fermentation" for each development stage. So by my way of
>describing it, it ferments in the bowl after mixing (1 1/2 hours). It
>ferments more after being punched down and kneaded again (2 hours). It
>ferments yet more when the shaped loaves rise (2 hours). It gets a very
>good oven-shoot after all that time and with all that manipulation.

>Put it this way. From the time I mix the dough until I put it into an
>oven is 5 1/2 to 6 hours. I decide by eye when to bake it

So what you really mean is true fermentation...

>I tried some today where I made the dough yesterday afternoon and left
>it in the refrigerator overnight. This afternoon, I punched it down and
>kneaded it more. Left it out of the cooler to rise again. Shaped it into
>four loaves and let it rise on canvas, covered, for two and a half
>hours. Baked it. It was a bit better in flavor, texture and crumb than
>doing it the other way. But I don't think I'd do it this way normally.
>Better, yes. Enough better to take the time and cooler space, not for
>everyday.

Well I will not do that regularly either...If I want a better flavor
for my French bread if I had some leftover French bread dough from the
previous batch I keep it under refrigeration or cold room and add 25%
of the new batch dough weight the next day.. It improves the bread
flavor significantly as well as the baking performance from dough's
made with normally 2 -3 hours bakers or bulk fermentation.
That is the practical way in doing it in large scale.

> That answers the question that Old French baker I mentioned above that
> he lamented that his countrymen does not know anymore what real bread
> is.....
> I told him all of those bread are real.....he frowned on me. And
> said...It is just that modern people specially the younger generation
> (like me) does not care about good bread anymore.....I insisted to him
> all of these bread are good...!
> Maybe for you ...as you have never undergone my training.....but for me

><G> I got the same thing when I wandered around the French and Italian
>countrysides. I stayed in little hotels and pensions away from the city
>people and city things. I liked the bread when it was about 5 hours old.
>Less than that and it wasn't "mature." More than that and it was
>starting to stale.

Yes.....the common french bread is good not later than 4-6 hours after
baking, after that its only useful for croutons....
But these country style French bread has indeed better taste when eaten
later.. or cool...
When eaten warm or freshly baked it does not taste good nor you can
appreciate its quality.

>In some ways, I agree with him. A lot of the old skills and ways have
>been lost or compromised. I think that the "Slow Food" people see things
>in that way and are trying to preserve the better ones. I've had breads
>made with starters as old as the bakers, that were cold-fermented for a
>day and a half. Wonderful. But I don't want to do that, so I have to
>settle for a compromise in some areas.

These so called long fermented dough are impractical when producing
bread for high volume situations.Unless if that is the specialty of the
particular bakery its not cost effective doing it . It justifies that
its sold at higher price if compared to common bread in many shops.

>And, I don't really want to be in a kitchen without mixers. I'd like to
>keep my dough sheeter, too, for the things it's good for (like 50
>gingerbread houses each Christmas when I had the restaurants and shops).

..

If I am in the commercial situation I expect that the particular
kitchen of baker y where I will be working should be well equipped . I
don't want my people rolling croissant and Danish pastry dough with
rolling pins. A dough brake/ sheeter is essential .
But it does not mean that I cannot do those by manual means .

>>I've baked in wood-burning ovens, and I like the control of modern ovens

>better. But each remove from the old ways makes the product change. Some
>modern changes I think are better

If I am baking industrial bread I will use the commercial oven, fired
by gas or electicity,( tunnel, rack, deck etc , but if I am doing
artisanal items I prefer the wood fired ovens...nothing can compare the
taste of bread baked that way.
I can sense the heat of the wood fired ovens by looking how the coals
look , and smoke rise in the oven ceiling as well as by exposing my
palms to the oven ambient.and can competently judge if the temperature
and degree of bake without using a timer or thermometer.

>I don't really like breads with very dark crusts and scorch marks. My
>grandparents did. The northern Italians made a thing from their villages
>halfway between a pizza and a ****aladiere, and they said it was ready
><when it had black patches on the bottom. My grandfather said it had a
>smoky (sfumato) flavor. I say it tastes like burned toast with onions on
>it. <G>

>It's all about taste, I think

You're damn right...as people become older their taste buds became
weaker and demands more flavorful foods... a smoky flavor add some sort
of nuance to the taste improved the acceptability of a baked product.

I think that is one reason why many people like to eat bread baked in
wood fired oven than from items baked with other fuel...

The rating for better bread flavor in my experience seems to be this
way
Wood fired is better than gas,... gas is better than electricity...