Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Default The artisan web site

Not my site. Some good stuff, some questionable, but broad in scope.
Some glimpses at professional baking for the non pros...

<http://www.theartisan.net/>\

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Bob (this one) wrote:
> Not my site. Some good stuff, some questionable, but broad in scope.
> Some glimpses at professional baking for the non pros...
>
> <http://www.theartisan.net/>\
>
> Pastorio

Yeah, looks like a lot of pretty good info there.
Some of the questionable material may have been gathered from old
Italian recipes, from a quick perusal. At least they seem to offer all
measures in grams as well as volumetric!

I was looking at the Ciabatte, and have a thought to try the Indirect #2
recipe, making up the poolish as usual, but finishing the mixing,
kneading and penultimate rise in the bread machine. Worst that could
happen is I waste a pound of flour...

Dave

Ingredients, Ciabatta by Indirect Method #2 (Poolish)

Starter
1/2 Tsp. Yeast - Active dry or 1/5th of a small cake yeast (3 g)
1/2 Cup + 2 Tbl. Water - warm (150 ml)
1 Cup + 2 Tbl. Flour - Unbleached all-purpose (150 g)

Dough
3/4 Tsp. Yeast - Active Dry or 3/10th of a cake yeast (5 g)
1/4 Cup Water - Warm (60 ml)
2 1/4 Cups Flour - Unbleached all-purpose (300 g)
1/2 Tsp. Malt (2.5 g)
2 Tsp. Salt (10 g)
1/2 Cup + 1 Tbl. Water (135 ml)
Starter 300 g. From above
Posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Dave Bell wrote:
> Bob (this one) wrote:
>
>> Not my site. Some good stuff, some questionable, but broad in scope.
>> Some glimpses at professional baking for the non pros...
>>
>> <http://www.theartisan.net/>\
>>
>> Pastorio

> Yeah, looks like a lot of pretty good info there.
> Some of the questionable material may have been gathered from old
> Italian recipes, from a quick perusal. At least they seem to offer all
> measures in grams as well as volumetric!

Yep. Takes a lot of guesswork out.

> I was looking at the Ciabatta, and have a thought to try the Indirect #2
> recipe, making up the poolish as usual, but finishing the mixing,
> kneading and penultimate rise in the bread machine. Worst that could
> happen is I waste a pound of flour...

I'm not fond of most ciabatta that I've had. It's too coarse and the
crumb is hard. Cells very open but loaves are nevertheless dense.

The conversion measures look like they're taken directly from a
conversion chart without bringing them into the real world. I mean "3/10
of a cake of yeast...?" Still, with some judgement, the recipes can be used.

Pastorio

> Ingredients, Ciabatta by Indirect Method #2 (Poolish)
>
> Starter
> 1/2 Tsp. Yeast - Active dry or 1/5th of a small cake yeast (3 g)
> 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbl. Water - warm (150 ml)
> 1 Cup + 2 Tbl. Flour - Unbleached all-purpose (150 g)
>
> Dough
> 3/4 Tsp. Yeast - Active Dry or 3/10th of a cake yeast (5 g)
> 1/4 Cup Water - Warm (60 ml)
> 2 1/4 Cups Flour - Unbleached all-purpose (300 g)
> 1/2 Tsp. Malt (2.5 g)
> 2 Tsp. Salt (10 g)
> 1/2 Cup + 1 Tbl. Water (135 ml)
> Starter 300 g. From above

How do you eat your artisan bread? Christopher M.[_3_] General Cooking 93 28-08-2012 05:45 PM
Artisan Chocolatier [email protected] General Cooking 24 24-11-2010 12:50 AM
Artisan Bread Deb Recipes (moderated) 0 16-06-2008 03:08 AM
Artisan Bread DVD HUTCHNDI Sourdough 13 14-02-2005 12:41 AM
Artisan Barrels? steve Winemaking 5 30-03-2004 03:51 AM