Old 23-01-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Default Birthday Cake report

King's Crown wrote:
Very cute! You did a really good job. I bet everyone loved eating it....
after saying "It's too pretty to eat."

Thanks! They didn't believe I made it. One woman kept thinking I was
joking.

Have you tried making Chocolate Clay for decorating. I find it fun to work
with. In the summer sometimes transporting a cake some where can be
tricking, because of the possible melting problems.

Lynne

snip

Thanks for the tip! Will this work with white chocolate? I'll save
the recipe for later use!
-L.

Old 23-01-2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.food.baking
King's Crown

"-L." wrote in message
oups.com...

King's Crown wrote:
Very cute! You did a really good job. I bet everyone loved eating
it....
after saying "It's too pretty to eat."

Thanks! They didn't believe I made it. One woman kept thinking I was
joking.

Have you tried making Chocolate Clay for decorating. I find it fun to
work
with. In the summer sometimes transporting a cake some where can be
tricking, because of the possible melting problems.

Lynne

snip

Thanks for the tip! Will this work with white chocolate? I'll save
the recipe for later use!
-L.

I use white chocolate and then color it. I also buy the colored chocolates
and make it. It starts our really sticky and gross and then with enough
kneading it suddenly turns into this wonderful easy to shape chocolate clay.
The only summer problem I had was when I made a giant sunflower for a friend
who loves what eles sunflowers. The stem was in direct sun light and I was
driving and couldn't do anything about for about 20 minutes. It melted and
dropped off onto the plate. By the time I got to her house it had cooled
off I reshaped it and pressed it back together and no one but me knew what
happened.

Lynne

Old 24-01-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Wendy

Looks great. I have not worked with Marzipan myself. I think your cake
looks terrific.
I've taken a few cake decorating courses and loved them. I'm one of the
least artistic people I know so cake decorating is a huge challenge. In one
of my classes I spent lots of energy baking the cakes we were to decorate -
that was the easy part for me. Then I'd sweat buckets over the decorating.
Some of class mates picked up all kinds of prebaked cakes and made them look
beautiful with no effort at all! Wendy
Old 25-01-2006, 07:42 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Wendy wrote:
Looks great. I have not worked with Marzipan myself. I think your cake
looks terrific.
I've taken a few cake decorating courses and loved them. I'm one of the
least artistic people I know so cake decorating is a huge challenge. In one
of my classes I spent lots of energy baking the cakes we were to decorate -
that was the easy part for me. Then I'd sweat buckets over the decorating.
Some of class mates picked up all kinds of prebaked cakes and made them look
beautiful with no effort at all! Wendy

My philosophy is that it needs to taste better than it looks! This
one was pretty tasty - lemon cream cake filled with a
strawberry-apricot filling.

-L.

Old 25-01-2006, 01:02 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

-L. wrote:
Wendy wrote:

Looks great. I have not worked with Marzipan myself. I think your cake
looks terrific.
I've taken a few cake decorating courses and loved them. I'm one of the
least artistic people I know so cake decorating is a huge challenge. In one
of my classes I spent lots of energy baking the cakes we were to decorate -
that was the easy part for me. Then I'd sweat buckets over the decorating.
Some of class mates picked up all kinds of prebaked cakes and made them look
beautiful with no effort at all! Wendy

My philosophy is that it needs to taste better than it looks! This
one was pretty tasty - lemon cream cake filled with a
strawberry-apricot filling.

LOL Agree with the taste/beauty relationship. But sometimes you luck out.

My daughter is taking French in school and I'm not above helping her
suck up a bit - good grades are good grades. Over the past two years and
this, we've made baguettes a few times. Brioches. A couple
****aladieres. Fougasse. Croquembouche (She walked into class carrying
it and one kid who didn't see her come through the door and was standing
with the teacher finally saw it and blurted out, "Holy shit." Teacher
laughed so hard she fell into her seat.) Madelaines. Choux swans (filled
with Bavarian cream). A tall Eiffel tower in gingerbread for X-mas that
was wonderful and that she gave to her teacher. Smart kid.

Last evening we made the layers for a dacquoise and assembled it this
morning. Two different meringue layers - one with ground almonds like an
Italian amaretto cookie, the other with cocoa and orange zest. Fillings
were orange mousse and chocolate mousse, finished with mousse on the
sides, ganache on top with finely chopped pistachios sprinkled through a
paper doily onto the chocolate.

She ought to get about 150% for this one. It's gorgeous. Should taste
very good, too. She piped the layers out and, as you'd expect from a
kid, got them all bumpy and irregular. Tried too hard to make it perfect
and, of course, got them spluttery and uneven because of trying too
hard. Showed her a wet spreader/spatula and what a wonderful tool it is.
She made them more or less even and we dried them in preparation for
this morning. Perfect texture, still a bit less than perfect-looking.
But wait, here come the mousses and see how splendidly they mask all
those imperfections. I pointed that out to The Kid and she laughed at
all that worrying. She did the assembly while I made the ganache. I even
peeled a bunch of pistachios, rubbed the skins off and chopped them. How
good a daddy is that?

She beamed when it was done. "It's pretty good, isn't it," she said. I
laughed out loud. Many bakeries I've been in wouldn't have done as
pretty a job as that. Did I remember to take a picture? Why do you ask?
Of course not. Not until we were halfway to school and remembered that
we hadn't. Not that we were giggling like, well, schoolkids or anything...

There's Murphy's Law and Murphy's Dammit Law.

Pastorio

Old 26-01-2006, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Wendy

Sounds like a school I'd like to go to. I might even be able to learn
french....although I've tried so often I've about given that up.. However I
could certainly learn some good baking tips! wendy

Old 26-01-2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Bob (this one) wrote:
[...]

Hell, with those skills she can pay her way through college working in
a patisserie! Sounds awesome.

-L.

Old 26-01-2006, 01:07 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

-L. wrote:
Bob (this one) wrote:

She beamed when it was done. "It's pretty good, isn't it," she said. I
laughed out loud. Many bakeries I've been in wouldn't have done as
pretty a job as that. Did I remember to take a picture? Why do you ask?
Of course not. Not until we were halfway to school and remembered that
we hadn't. Not that we were giggling like, well, schoolkids or anything...

There's Murphy's Law and Murphy's Dammit Law.

Pastorio

snip

Hell, with those skills she can pay her way through college working in
a patisserie! Sounds awesome.

I was busy writing for a deadline yesterday and didn't pay a lot of
attention to her. We made dinner and I went back to my computer, she to
her homework. I heard kitchen noises and didn't pay much attention to
that, either. She came walking into my office with a yellow cake she had
made from scratch, covered with whipped cream with sliced strawberries
and asked "Exactly how busy are you?" Twinkle in her eye...

We ate cake.

Later she told me that the first time, she had "messed up some mixing
when I didn't watch it closely." Her cut layers were uneven (I told her
a few ways to deal with that this morning. She looked like a light bulb
went off over her head.), cake was a tad dry (She waited until it was
"brown" before sticking a toothpick in.). But I think it's cool that she
did it all alone. Recognized that she had made a mixing mistake and
dealt with it. And recognized that my telling her how to cut layers
evenly wasn't a negative criticism. I was in the process of eating my
third slice. How badly could I feel about it? I told her nobody's gonna
get up from the table and leave if the layers are uneven. She laughed.

I asked why she wanted to do it. She said, "Because." G Good enough
for me.

Pastorio
Old 27-01-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Bob (this one) wrote:
snip

I asked why she wanted to do it. She said, "Because." G Good enough
for me.

Pastorio

She sounds like a real sweetheart. How old is she? The thought of
parenting a daughter terrifies me. Stories like yours make me want
one, though.
-L.

Old 27-01-2006, 01:51 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

-L. wrote:
Bob (this one) wrote:
snip

I asked why she wanted to do it. She said, "Because." G Good enough
for me.

Pastorio

She sounds like a real sweetheart. How old is she? The thought of
parenting a daughter terrifies me. Stories like yours make me want
one, though.

She's the center of my universe. And she's growing up which means we can
share more sophisticated ideas, and she's growing away, which is
inevitable as she begins to shape her own life, which means she
approaches and avoids...

She's more fun than most adults and her sense of humor and mine
intersect most wonderfully.

She's 14, a freshman in high school, pretty, graceful, articulate and
generally attractive to boys. A couple seniors have indicated interest
and I only had to threaten one for both to understand that she's too
young for them and their intents. But she much likes their attention...

So I'm a daddy of an utterly unique child - just like every other kid...

LOL Her dacquoise drew a few teachers into that classroom and the
principal found his way there before it was gone. Kind of culinary
telepathy...

Pastorio

Old 27-01-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Reg

Bob (this one) wrote:

She's the center of my universe. And she's growing up which means we can
share more sophisticated ideas, and she's growing away, which is
inevitable as she begins to shape her own life, which means she
approaches and avoids...

She's more fun than most adults and her sense of humor and mine
intersect most wonderfully.

She's 14, a freshman in high school, pretty, graceful, articulate and
generally attractive to boys. A couple seniors have indicated interest
and I only had to threaten one for both to understand that she's too
young for them and their intents. But she much likes their attention...

So I'm a daddy of an utterly unique child - just like every other kid...

Is this the caviar daughter, i.e. "Your Ladyship"? That's a
great story.

Old 27-01-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Bob (this one) wrote:

[...]

Bob, as the proud father of three girls in the same age range (13, 13, and
15), I can say you speak for a lot of us! And they are indeed unique...
One is my baking and cooking companion, and I'm thankful for at least one
to be. Another loves math and all things techie, and has great confidence
in her ability to handle *anything* she puts her mind to. (Now, with a few
more years of common sense, she could do great things!) The third is just
a lovely, every girl-next-door princess. All beautiful, all different, and
all very special...

Dave
Old 27-01-2006, 08:50 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Bob (this one)

Reg wrote:
Bob (this one) wrote:

She's the center of my universe. And she's growing up which means we
can share more sophisticated ideas, and she's growing away, which is
inevitable as she begins to shape her own life, which means she
approaches and avoids...

She's more fun than most adults and her sense of humor and mine
intersect most wonderfully.

She's 14, a freshman in high school, pretty, graceful, articulate and
generally attractive to boys. A couple seniors have indicated interest
and I only had to threaten one for both to understand that she's too
young for them and their intents. But she much likes their attention...

So I'm a daddy of an utterly unique child - just like every other kid...

Is this the caviar daughter, i.e. "Your Ladyship"? That's a
great story.

Yes. When she was about 9, I guess.

Long story short, I was showing off for the woman who is now my wife and
The Kid was there. I was doing all sorts of professional culinary
showoff stunts and finally plated dinner. I garnished it with a sprinkle
of caviar.

The Kid tastes and wrinkles her nose. Says, "Daddy, I don't like caviar
this way..." *This* way..." My aristocratic daughter... Cracked me up.

I spit a lot of food all over my wife to be.

Pastorio
Old 27-01-2006, 11:20 PM posted to rec.food.baking
-L.

Dave Bell wrote:
Bob, as the proud father of three girls in the same age range (13, 13, and
15), I can say you speak for a lot of us! And they are indeed unique...
One is my baking and cooking companion, and I'm thankful for at least one
to be. Another loves math and all things techie, and has great confidence
in her ability to handle *anything* she puts her mind to. (Now, with a few
more years of common sense, she could do great things!) The third is just
a lovely, every girl-next-door princess. All beautiful, all different, and
all very special...

Dave

Awwww...you guys are making me want to adopt a girl!
-L.