Posted to rec.food.baking
Ralph Colyn

Default Major Allergies

My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(

Wheat
Yeast
Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
Eggplant
nuts
red meat
chicken
lettuce
baby marrow
rice
apples
carrots
spinach
tomato

We would really like to find recipes for bread, which we could make at home,
preferably in a bread maker for every-day use.

Many Thanks

Ralph Colyn

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 10 Jan 2006 08:11:40p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Ralph
Colyn?

> My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
>
> Wheat
> Yeast
> Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
> Eggplant
> nuts
> red meat
> chicken
> lettuce
> baby marrow
> rice
> apples
> carrots
> spinach
> tomato
>
> We would really like to find recipes for bread, which we could make at
> home, preferably in a bread maker for every-day use.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Ralph Colyn

Good God! What's left?

Methinks you need to see a professional nutritionist.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Remove all "xxx's" from address to e-mail directly.
Posted to rec.food.baking
Marcella Peek

Geez...she must be a relative. Add dairy and mushrooms and you pretty
well have my family. Makes holiday dinners a challenge!

Nuts we ignore for most recipes and are fine.

My niece cannot do chicken, but she can do turkey. Maybe check with
your wifes doc and see what they say about turkey as an option. And
there is always tofu.

Pears instead of apples

Vegetable salads rather than green ones

Lots of people can't do wheat, there's a whole wheat free site with
recipes at http://www.wheat-free.org/recipes.html

Quinoa is a nice grain that will work for pilafs and such instead of
rice. Barley is an option too. We use in in soups rather than rice.

Honestly, I could live just fine without peppers, eggplant (not that I
don't like them, but life would still be worth living without them) and
I don't even know what baby marrow is so I've certainly survived without
that one ;-) With our family we focus on the things we can eat and find
that there is a lot we can do with that rather than trying to fiddle
with recipes filled with "forbidden foods".

marcella

In article >,
"Ralph Colyn" > wrote:

> My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
>
> Wheat
> Yeast
> Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
> Eggplant
> nuts
> red meat
> chicken
> lettuce
> baby marrow
> rice
> apples
> carrots
> spinach
> tomato
>
> We would really like to find recipes for bread, which we could make at home,
> preferably in a bread maker for every-day use.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Ralph Colyn

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Ralph Colyn" > wrote in message
> My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
>
> Wheat
> Yeast
> Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
> Eggplant
> nuts
> red meat
> chicken
> lettuce
> baby marrow
> rice
> apples
> carrots
> spinach
> tomato

Stop eating babies!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Vox Humana wrote:

> "Ralph Colyn" > wrote in message
> > My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> > include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
> >
> > Wheat
> > Yeast
> > Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
> > Eggplant
> > nuts
> > red meat
> > chicken
> > lettuce
> > baby marrow
> > rice
> > apples
> > carrots
> > spinach
> > tomato
> >

> Stop eating babies!

Thanks for that, Vox! I was tempted to post something about sucking on
those little bones, but thought it might be too far out for the group...

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:11:40 +0200
"Ralph Colyn" > wrote:

> My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
>
> Wheat
> Yeast

You may not be able to manufacture anything vaguely like 'bread'. There
are for sure some fluffy-looking baked goods with browned exteriors out
there for people with diverse sensitivities, but i hear the texture and
flavor leave everything to be desired. You may as well be eating foam
rubber.

Also, there are a few different ways that a person can end up advised
not to consume wheat, and depending on which you're looking at, that may
disqualify some alternative grains.

I agree with Wayne - we're just a peanut gallery of disinterested
individuals, what you need is a professional nutritionist who specializes
in this sort of thing.
Posted to rec.food.baking
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
"Ralph Colyn" > wrote:

> My wife has major allergies, and we need to find substitutes that do not
> include the OTHER allergins ... here's the list :-(
>
> Wheat
> Yeast
> Green / Red / Yellow Peppers
> Eggplant
> nuts
> red meat
> chicken
> lettuce
> baby marrow
> rice
> apples
> carrots
> spinach
> tomato
>
> We would really like to find recipes for bread, which we could make at home,
> preferably in a bread maker for every-day use.
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Ralph Colyn

Google on gluten-free recipes. Unfortunately, most gluten-free flour
mixes contain rice flour. I don't know if you can make "bread" that's
not leavened with yeast in a bread machine. I don't own a bread
machine, nor do I plan to.

Your wife needs to see a registered dietitian (or the South African
equivalent) to help her negotiate her allergy issues. Things are
finally getting easier in the US for food allergy sufferers, as the FDA
has mandated clearer food labels. For example, manufacturers can't say
modified food starch without specifying what food it came from.

Good luck to you both!
Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> Things are
> finally getting easier in the US for food allergy sufferers, as the FDA
> has mandated clearer food labels. For example, manufacturers can't say
> modified food starch without specifying what food it came from.

Must be a new ruling. I still find labels with "modified food starch". I
tend to avoid that entirely, as it's most likely to be corn, and I'd
rather avoid wheat, although it bothers me less than corn. What I really
hate though, are the places where I least expet to find corn or wheat.
Where do you think the oats fall in Cheerios' ingredients? Third, after
corn and wheat! My wife just brought me home some Cracker JAck flavored
rice cakes, a nice treat since I haven't been able to eat popcorn for
years. Number two ingredient? Corn!

Gotta read those labels...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking
Eric Jorgensen

"Ralph Colyn" > wrote:

> We would really like to find recipes for bread, which we could make at
> home, preferably in a bread maker for every-day use.

The thing is, some of the components in what that people can be allergic
to are also found in spelt, and some others are also found in oats, and
we're rapidly running out of grains here since rice is also off the list.

And it's hard to get anything vaguely like 'bread' without gluten, which
may be part of the problem. Amaranth? only a nutritionist who specializes
in food allergies would really know.

I don't see pork on the list - maybe she can subsist on bratwurst and
mustard? but she'll probably have to skip the sauerkraut.

Seeing lettuce, carrots, and spinach on the list probably means she
should avoid everything in that family, including cabbage, bok-choy,
celery, parsley, coriander, cilantro, frisee, and everything else that
evolved or was bred from those same greens.

Chiles come in purple too, but i bet she's allergic to those as well.
Best not to specify color, unless she can mysteriously eat purple bell
peppers and chiles negros.

I get the impression that there's not so much a list as a theme or two
themes to be considered here.

We'd need more information, but you're still better off seeking a
professional consultant with good references.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Cindy Fuller

In article >,
Dave Bell > wrote:

> Cindy Fuller wrote:
> > Things are
> > finally getting easier in the US for food allergy sufferers, as the FDA
> > has mandated clearer food labels. For example, manufacturers can't say
> > modified food starch without specifying what food it came from.

> Must be a new ruling. I still find labels with "modified food starch". I
> tend to avoid that entirely, as it's most likely to be corn, and I'd
> rather avoid wheat, although it bothers me less than corn. What I really
> hate though, are the places where I least expet to find corn or wheat.
> Where do you think the oats fall in Cheerios' ingredients? Third, after
> corn and wheat! My wife just brought me home some Cracker JAck flavored
> rice cakes, a nice treat since I haven't been able to eat popcorn for
> years. Number two ingredient? Corn!
>
> Gotta read those labels...
>
> Dave

The regs went into effect January 1. The regs also require
specification of how much trans fat is in a food. This is why many
companies scrambled to produce "trans fat free" products last year.

Cindy