Old 05-01-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.food.baking
D.Currie

Default Fan or conventional oven?

"Vox Humana" wrote in message
.. .

"bonniejean" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
"bonniejean" wrote in message

Why do people like and even prefer convection ovens? I've never owned

one.

The temperature is more even throughout the oven. Therefore, things

tend to
bake and brown more evenly. You don't usually have to rotate pans

during
baking and you can often bake four trays of cookies at once.
Convection
ovens can save energy because you can reduce the temperature and reduce

the
cooking time. For some items, you don't need to pre-heat the oven
which
also saves time and energy. Meats roasted on the convection setting

develop
a nice crust while remaining moist and juicy in about 30% less time.

The next step up is to combine convection with microwaves. I have a
microwave convection oven that I use for most of my baking needs. I
was
able to roast a small pork loin in 35 minutes today without any

preheating.
The convection component browned the surface and the added 30%
microwave
power speeded the cooking and eliminated the need to pre-heat the oven.

can take a raw, frozen pie and bake it, without pre-heating in about 45
minutes. Quick breads that normally requires pre-heating and 60-75

minutes
of baking are done in 35-40 minutes without pre-heating at a lower
temperature than in a standard oven.

Wow, sounds like it is both efficient and that the result is very
desirable. Do they come full size with a stove on top like a regular
oven? Can they be gas or electric? My Aunt has one but it is on the wall
and she still has her regular oven.

The one I have is an over-the-range model. While it is small, it is
adequate for most of my needs since there are only two of us. I know that
Kitchen-Aid and GE both have wall ovens that have a second, smaller
convection-microwave oven. So far I don't know of a full-sized unit. I
think it is something that people don't quite "get" yet, so there may be a
time before demand builds enough to make a large version.

I used to have a double-oven wall unit that had a full-size
convection/microwave on top and a regular full-size oven below. I really
miss those ovens....

Donna