Posted to rec.food.baking
Loocie

Default fruit cake with icing- how long can I keep it?

Hi!
I made my own fruit cake, and put marzipan on ( homemade) and then
royal icing. I did not get to serve it this year. Can I wrap it and
save it for next year with the marzipan and icing on? or should I take
it off and just wrap the fruitcake? Ho wlong can I keep it with the
marzipan and icing on?
hmmm....
thanks, Loocie

Posted to rec.food.baking
Tapper

In my opinion it will keep. Wrapped VERY well, dark and cool and secure
from mice. If you did an old-fashioned dense fruitcake, unfrosted they can
last for years at room temp, and even improve in flavor as the months go by.
As long as you aren't in a hot climate, that is! The royal would certainly
keep for years by itself, as would the marzipan. Marzipan animals will last
2-3 years and I have a giant royal decorated cookie that won a ribbon at the
county fair that's 4 years old and just fine (we tasted one of that batch
over Christmas and it's still decent). But I've never stored them all
together like that so I don't know if the fruitcake/marzipan/royal will weep
or whatnot.

Of course, only an old-fashioned 10-ton fruitcake will last a year; if it's
a more cakey, floury, light fruitcake (like the recipes in magazines lately)
it will only last a couple weeks if that.

Good Luck!
--Pat

"Loocie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi!
> I made my own fruit cake, and put marzipan on ( homemade) and then
> royal icing. I did not get to serve it this year. Can I wrap it and
> save it for next year with the marzipan and icing on? or should I take
> it off and just wrap the fruitcake? Ho wlong can I keep it with the
> marzipan and icing on?
> hmmm....
> thanks, Loocie

Posted to rec.food.baking
Loocie

thanks Pat,

this is an old fashioned english recipe handed down from generation to
generation, its dense and fairly moist. Not light at all. It is 8
months old ( or young!) and I have "fed" it a few times since I baked
it with brandy. I am just worried that as the marzipan was homemade
with raw egg yolks that it would perhaps go mouldy as the cake is so
moist. I will wrap it up good and store away from light, heat and
mice, and bring it out next year. Hopefully it will taste even better!
Loocie