FoodBanter.com

-   -   fruit cake with icing- how long can I keep it? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/77991-fruit-cake-icing-how.html)

Loocie 02-01-2006 12:07 AM

fruit cake with icing- how long can I keep it?

Hi!
I made my own fruit cake, and put marzipan on ( homemade) and then
royal icing. I did not get to serve it this year. Can I wrap it and
save it for next year with the marzipan and icing on? or should I take
it off and just wrap the fruitcake? Ho wlong can I keep it with the
marzipan and icing on?
hmmm....
thanks, Loocie

Tapper 03-01-2006 11:02 PM

fruit cake with icing- how long can I keep it?

In my opinion it will keep. Wrapped VERY well, dark and cool and secure
from mice. If you did an old-fashioned dense fruitcake, unfrosted they can
last for years at room temp, and even improve in flavor as the months go by.
As long as you aren't in a hot climate, that is! The royal would certainly
keep for years by itself, as would the marzipan. Marzipan animals will last
2-3 years and I have a giant royal decorated cookie that won a ribbon at the
county fair that's 4 years old and just fine (we tasted one of that batch
over Christmas and it's still decent). But I've never stored them all
together like that so I don't know if the fruitcake/marzipan/royal will weep
or whatnot.

Of course, only an old-fashioned 10-ton fruitcake will last a year; if it's
a more cakey, floury, light fruitcake (like the recipes in magazines lately)
it will only last a couple weeks if that.

Good Luck!
--Pat

ups.com...

Loocie 04-01-2006 03:36 AM

fruit cake with icing- how long can I keep it?

thanks Pat,

this is an old fashioned english recipe handed down from generation to
generation, its dense and fairly moist. Not light at all. It is 8
months old ( or young!) and I have "fed" it a few times since I baked
it with brandy. I am just worried that as the marzipan was homemade
with raw egg yolks that it would perhaps go mouldy as the cake is so
moist. I will wrap it up good and store away from light, heat and
mice, and bring it out next year. Hopefully it will taste even better!
Loocie