Posted to rec.food.baking
ggg

Default Baking with Olive Oil

Baking

Many people do not associate olive oil with baking, but it is one of the
best oils that can be used for this purpose. Olive oil has been a
favorite of bread bakers for centuries, because it results in bread with
excellent flavor and texture. In Mediterranean countries, olive oil is
used not only in bread making, but in other types of baked goods as
well, including sweet items. In the United States, olive oil is used
less often for baking, except in bread making. Many consumers in the
U.S. are worried about baked items having a strong olive taste, however
when light olive oil is used, it is difficult to detect an olive flavor
in baked goods. Light olive oil is perfect for baking cakes, sweetly
flavored breads, or rolls.

Using olive oil instead of butter in baking allows some of the fat
required for a recipe to be eliminated. About 25% less olive oil is
required for most baked items. The use of olive oil instead of butter
also eliminates much of the saturated fat and cholesterol contained in
many dessert cakes and rolls, making them healthier and more nutritious.
The natural antioxidants (such as vitamin E) in olive oil help to keep
baked items fresher for a longer period compared to items baked with butter.
Use the chart below to convert the quantity of butter
called for in a recipe to the required quantity of olive oil.
Butter Olive Oil
1 teaspoon 3/4 teaspoon
2 teaspoons 1-1/2 teaspoons
1 tablespoon 2-1/4 teaspoons
2 tablespoons 1-1/2 tablespoons
1/4 cup 3 tablespoons
1/3 cup 1/4 cup
1/2 cup 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons
2/3 cup 1/2 cup
3/4 cup 1/2 cup and 1 tablespoon
1 cup 3/4 cup

Cooking Tips

* Use olive oil in marinades for meat, fish, or poultry.
* Instead of serving butter with bread, pour some olive oil into a
saucer or onto a small plate for dipping.
* If you plan on frying using butter, add a bit of olive oil to
help prevent the butter from burning.
* Brush olive oil onto meats while broiling, grilling, or roasting
to help brown the meat and seal in the juices.
* Use olive oil instead of butter on cooked vegetables.
* Substituting olive oil for butter in baked goods allows a smaller
quantity to be used; in most cases up to 25% less fat is used when
baking with olive oil. Light olive oil is ideal for baked goods because
of its subtle flavor.
* The olive oil grade "olive oil," is excellent for deep-frying
because it has a higher smoke point (410ºF) than virgin or extra virgin
oils.
* When using olive oil for deep-frying, food should be as dry as
possible before it enters the hot oil to prevent splattering.
Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

BAking with olive oil have its limits...and its NOT RECOMMENDABLE TO BE
USED IN ALL BAKED GOODS!
Only an olive oil fanatic who has no sense or proportion will use olive
oil indiscriminately.
People which such mindset should have his /jer mental state
checked<grin>

I only used olive oil for savory based products such as focaccia,
ciabatta and pizza and some related meditteranean products. where it
have savory fillings.
But
Using olive oil in cake making?.... where its sweet .?...that stupidity
you cannot explain that to your guest that you are serving olive oil
based sweets as its more healthy....than butter...
Who cares...? most guest would love to eat sweet goods out of the
pleasure it provides but if faint odor that is retained reminds them
of salads...?.
They will think what the hell is going on with the chef....

.....I would prefer a bland and light colored oil such as sunflower
,soybean or cottonseed than olive oil.
They are all low in saturated fats anyway so it does not make any
difference.

Olive oil due to its greenish shade makes a darker colored cake
cake crumb aside from its peculiar odor making the sweet baked
product look and taste cheap. or inferiror..

One thing also olive oil tend to exhiibit a depressing effect on cake
volume , if compared to soybean, cottonseed, safflower, sunflower and
corn oil.which does not.

So beat it...Pour your . surplus stock of olve oil into the tub . then
bath in it.... than to encourage people use it indiscriminately for
baking.<grin>.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Mike Avery

On 31 Dec 2005 00:30:01 -0800, chembake > wrote:

> BAking with olive oil have its limits...and its NOT RECOMMENDABLE TO BE
> USED IN ALL BAKED GOODS!
> Only an olive oil fanatic who has no sense or proportion will use olive
> oil indiscriminately. People which such mindset should have his /jer
> mental state
> checked<grin>

A light olive oil, like a pomace olive oil, has a very light flavor profile
and can be used as you would otherwise use corn oil, safflower oil, or
canola. While not a fanatic, I prefer foods that man has eaten for millenia
over ones that were developed in the past few decades.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

>I prefer foods that man has eaten for millenia
>over ones that were developed in the past few decades

That sound sensible ...as during those ancient times the cake that we
know today was not yet invented...

Posted to rec.food.baking

Chembake, did they teach you in school how to be such an insulting
jerkoff or did you learn that on your own?
Why don't you learn proper grammar before you write on usenet?

"olive oil have its limits" - has, not have
"that sound sensible" - sounds, not sound
"its not reccommendable" - it's not recommended

I knew someone with a PhD in chemistry. He wasn't an arrogant butthole
like you.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Mike Avery

On 31 Dec 2005 12:02:07 -0800, chembake > wrote:

> >I prefer foods that man has eaten for millenia
> >over ones that were developed in the past few decades

> That sound sensible ...as during those ancient times the cake that we
> know today was not yet invented...

Cake, of course, falls into the middle ground. It has been around for
centuries. As opposed to canola oil and margarine which have only been
around decades.

Cake earns a qualified OK. After all, it can't be all that good for you -
Marie Antoinette lost her head over it.

Mike

Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

>Chembake, did they teach you in school how to be such an insulting
>jerkoff or did you learn that on your own?
>Why don't you learn proper grammar before you write on usenet?

I learn it as the proper way to deal with stupid people like you!

Grammar?...who cares about that in usenet...?

>I knew someone with a PhD in chemistry. He wasn't an arrogant butthole
>like you.

Its because he had not met people of your kind?

Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

>Cake earns a qualified OK. After all, it can't be all that good for you -
>Marie Antoinette lost her head over it

I agree but that cake was made wtih butter...it was actually a
brioche as what historical sources claims ....
But its unthinkable for a French baker or pastry chef to use olive oil
for brioche...specially during those days...

Posted to rec.food.baking
stiko

nope it was actually a genoise...look what good it did to french people and
the whole Western World. Unfortunately it doesnt work the same way with
ketchup!!!DOWN WITH THE NEW HITLERS!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND ESPECIALLY
TO THOSE WHO DONT HAVE THE CHOICE BETWEEN GENOISE AND BRIOCHE!!!

? "chembake" > ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...
> >Cake earns a qualified OK. After all, it can't be all that good for
> >you -
>>Marie Antoinette lost her head over it

> I agree but that cake was made wtih butter...it was actually a
> brioche as what historical sources claims ....
> But its unthinkable for a French baker or pastry chef to use olive oil
> for brioche...specially during those days...
> ..

Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

nope it was actually a genoise...look what good it did to french people
and
the whole Western World. Unfortunately it doesnt work the same way with

ketchup!!!DOWN WITH THE NEW HITLERS!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL AND
ESPECIALLY
TO THOSE WHO DONT HAVE THE CHOICE BETWEEN GENOISE AND BRIOCHE!!!

Think about this Stiko
:
In the original French the quote reads, "Qu'ils mangent de la
brioche," which means, literally, "Let them eat rich, expensive,
funny-shaped, yellow, eggy buns."

Therefore its not genoise but biroche...<grin>

Baking soda and baking powder. Some question Pandora General Cooking 11 24-08-2006 12:40 PM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] General Cooking 1 12-08-2006 10:24 AM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] Marketplace 0 12-08-2006 06:27 AM
Baking with Olive Oil stiko Baking 6 31-10-2005 12:47 AM
creaming vs baking with olive oil stiko Baking 3 23-10-2005 09:14 PM