Old 29-12-2005, 11:27 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Nospam

Default Blueband

I've asked this before, but didn't get anywhere, so here goes again........

What happened to Blueband margarine ?

Has it been re labelled ?

What would the nearest thing be taste wise for cakes and cream in today's
equivalent if it has not been re labelled ?

Bob

Old 29-12-2005, 11:42 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Reg

Nospam wrote:

I've asked this before, but didn't get anywhere, so here goes again........

What happened to Blueband margarine ?

Has it been re labelled ?

What would the nearest thing be taste wise for cakes and cream in today's
equivalent if it has not been re labelled ?

Blue Band, Rama, Country Crock and Doriana are margarine brands
from Unilever.

http://www.unilever.com/ourbrands/foods/BlueBand_Rama_CountryCrock_Doriana.asp

Is it not in your local store anymore? If not, it's
available on the web.

Old 29-12-2005, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Nospam

Thank you. I see the problem, I'm in England and guess its only offered
abroad, unless as suspected, re branded. At least I know now its a Unilver
product so a trip to the supermarket to buy all their margarine products may
reveal a hidden secret !!

Thanks
Bob

Old 30-12-2005, 01:07 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Nospam" wrote in message
Now you can see why I didn't get far the last time I asked.Dipstick

What? You have something against butter? It tastes better than margarine
and is healthier. Maybe butter doesn't agree with top-posting name-callers.

Old 30-12-2005, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley

"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Nospam" wrote in message
Now you can see why I didn't get far the last time I asked.Dipstick

What? You have something against butter? It tastes better than margarine
and is healthier.

Sigh. Vox, will you get off your butter-is-better-than-margarine
hobbyhorse for at least *one* thread?

His point is that butter is *NOT* BlueBand margarine, and using butter
will *NOT* re-create the flavor he is looking for in his baked goods.

Yes, we know that margarine isn't good for you. HOWEVER, when someone
is looking to re-create a flavor from the past, it's just not the
same.
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old 30-12-2005, 04:24 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Jenn Ridley" wrote in message
"Vox Humana" wrote:

"Nospam" wrote in message
Now you can see why I didn't get far the last time I asked.Dipstick

What? You have something against butter? It tastes better than

margarine
and is healthier.

Sigh. Vox, will you get off your butter-is-better-than-margarine
hobbyhorse for at least *one* thread?

His point is that butter is *NOT* BlueBand margarine, and using butter
will *NOT* re-create the flavor he is looking for in his baked goods.

Yes, we know that margarine isn't good for you. HOWEVER, when someone
is looking to re-create a flavor from the past, it's just not the
same.

Since only he knows what that brand of margarine tastes like, how could
anyone suggest something equivalent? And, if we make suggestions for brands
that aren't available in the UK, what good does that do anyone? Let's face
it, margarine costs like 39 cents a pound. Why not go out and try what is
available and use that since one can only use products that are being sold
in their local market. Furthermore, once you start using margarine in
baking there is more to consider than flavor. Something that tastes exactly
like Brand X may be horrible in a cake. Also, there are differences in
products sold under the same name from one county to the next. We have a
huge international market that imports brands like Heinz that are made
overseas. The formulas for the products are not the same as the domestic
products. Butter is the gold standard in baking. Anything else is an
approximation both in flavor and performance. It isn't a matter of being
elitist, it is simply the truth. If you want to recreate something from the
past, which isn't indicated in the message, then use what is available or
ask the store manager if he/she can locate the exact product you need.

Old 30-12-2005, 09:00 AM posted to rec.food.baking
Nospam

Thank you, you got it right.
I should have made the point clear that I was wanting to re-create a taste
of years ago.
My late Mother made cakes and "cream" using BlueBand. I loved the cream
I recall it was BlueBand and some sort of sugar blended together, may have
been icing sugar ?
Cakes made with "Stork" margarine always tasted awful, and I hate the taste
and smell of butter when used to cook food. In fact, the only butter I eat
is "Anchor" and that has to be ice cold, and it is only on the occasional
sandwich.
The UK has countless brands of Margarine, and I hoped one of them was just a
re-branded BlueBand.
The obvious answer is to buy them all and try it out
Thank you for your help and I apologise for causing a heated debate and for
the name calling.
Bob (London,UK )

Old 30-12-2005, 12:32 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Paul

Vox Humana wrote:
"Nospam" wrote in message

Now you can see why I didn't get far the last time I asked.Dipstick

What? You have something against butter? It tastes better than margarine
and is healthier. Maybe butter doesn't agree with top-posting name-callers.

And even better doesn't contain hydrogenated vegetable oils!

--
Paul

Old 30-12-2005, 03:16 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Paul" wrote in message
Vox Humana wrote:
"Nospam" wrote in message

Now you can see why I didn't get far the last time I asked.Dipstick

What? You have something against butter? It tastes better than

margarine
and is healthier. Maybe butter doesn't agree with top-posting

name-callers.

And even better doesn't contain hydrogenated vegetable oils!

Yep. For years we were told to avoid butter because of the cholesterol.
Most of us, myself included, used margarine when we could and used butter
with a lot of guilt. Now you can have the best of both worlds by using
butter. It has the flavor and melting characteristics that are good for
baking and it contains none of the trans-fats that result from the
hydrogenation process. I just put 10 pounds of butter in the freezer
because it was on deep discount for the holidays.

Old 30-12-2005, 08:44 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Jenn Ridley

"Vox Humana" wrote:

Yep. For years we were told to avoid butter because of the cholesterol.
Most of us, myself included, used margarine when we could and used butter
with a lot of guilt.

Speak for yourself. I've -always- baked with butter, even at the
height of the anti-butter craze. (and I've *always* got 3-4 pounds
in the freezer, as I buy it on sale. Right now, I think there's 8.)

However, I'm *not* going around telling someone who wants to re-create
a recipe made with margarine that butter is going be "better". It's
not. It may be 'better for you', and it may taste 'better' to someone
else; but that's not what he's looking for, and therefore it's *NOT*
better.
--
Jenn Ridley :
Old 30-12-2005, 09:51 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote:

Yep. For years we were told to avoid butter because of the cholesterol.
Most of us, myself included, used margarine when we could and used butter
with a lot of guilt.

Speak for yourself. I've -always- baked with butter, even at the
height of the anti-butter craze. (and I've *always* got 3-4 pounds
in the freezer, as I buy it on sale. Right now, I think there's 8.)

However, I'm *not* going around telling someone who wants to re-create
a recipe made with margarine that butter is going be "better". It's
not. It may be 'better for you', and it may taste 'better' to someone
else; but that's not what he's looking for, and therefore it's *NOT*
better.

Get a grip. No one likes a drama queen. We're only talking about butter,
not the cure for cancer.

Old 30-12-2005, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Nospam" wrote in message
Fortunately we British are not as paranoid as some. And 10 pounds of

butter
is good for you ?

It is better for you than 10 pounds of hydrogenated vegetable oil.