FoodBanter.com

-   -   Shortcrust pastry question (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/77608-shortcrust-pastry-question.html)

Paul Giverin 28-12-2005 10:07 AM

Shortcrust pastry question

I've just received "The Silver Spoon" as a Xmas gift. Its the
translation of a famous Italian cook book with over 2000 recipes and I'm
really pleased with it. Its a weighty book and there are some fantastic
looking recipes in it.

However, I was looking at baking a walnut and honey tart today from a
recipe in this book but I'm confused as to the method it uses to make
shortcrust pastry. I've always understood that you had to "rub in" the
butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The
recipe for shortcrust pastry in my new book just says mix the flour and
butter together, along with the sugar and egg yolk.

Surely the butter won't get properly incorporated into the flour using
this method? I'll probably make my pastry using the rubbing in method I
know works for me but I'm curious to know if this other, quicker method
would give as good results?

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Vox Humana 28-12-2005 02:29 PM

"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> I've just received "The Silver Spoon" as a Xmas gift. Its the
> translation of a famous Italian cook book with over 2000 recipes and I'm
> really pleased with it. Its a weighty book and there are some fantastic
> looking recipes in it.
>
> However, I was looking at baking a walnut and honey tart today from a
> recipe in this book but I'm confused as to the method it uses to make
> shortcrust pastry. I've always understood that you had to "rub in" the
> butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The
> recipe for shortcrust pastry in my new book just says mix the flour and
> butter together, along with the sugar and egg yolk.
>
> Surely the butter won't get properly incorporated into the flour using
> this method? I'll probably make my pastry using the rubbing in method I
> know works for me but I'm curious to know if this other, quicker method
> would give as good results?

I would rub or cut the butter into the flour.

Paul Giverin 29-12-2005 09:28 PM

Shortcrust pastry question

In message >, Vox Humana
> writes
>
>"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
>>
>> However, I was looking at baking a walnut and honey tart today from a
>> recipe in this book but I'm confused as to the method it uses to make
>> shortcrust pastry. I've always understood that you had to "rub in" the
>> butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The
>> recipe for shortcrust pastry in my new book just says mix the flour and
>> butter together, along with the sugar and egg yolk.
>>
>> Surely the butter won't get properly incorporated into the flour using
>> this method? I'll probably make my pastry using the rubbing in method I
>> know works for me but I'm curious to know if this other, quicker method
>> would give as good results?
>>

>I would rub or cut the butter into the flour.

Thanks. I rubbed in the butter as per my normal method and it was fine.

If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that give
the same results?

--
Paul Giverin

Reg 29-12-2005 10:33 PM

Paul Giverin wrote:

> Thanks. I rubbed in the butter as per my normal method and it was fine.
>
> If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that give
> the same results?

Yes. I find it's a bit faster than doing it by hand. For
a flaky pate brisee (ie. with big hunks of unmixed fat left
in it) I load the bowl with flour and butter and stick
the whole thing in the freezer to get it cold. It
then takes half a minute or so to mix.

Vox Humana 29-12-2005 10:34 PM

Shortcrust pastry question

"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> In message >, Vox Humana
> > writes
> >
> >"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> However, I was looking at baking a walnut and honey tart today from a
> >> recipe in this book but I'm confused as to the method it uses to make
> >> shortcrust pastry. I've always understood that you had to "rub in" the
> >> butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. The
> >> recipe for shortcrust pastry in my new book just says mix the flour and
> >> butter together, along with the sugar and egg yolk.
> >>
> >> Surely the butter won't get properly incorporated into the flour using
> >> this method? I'll probably make my pastry using the rubbing in method I
> >> know works for me but I'm curious to know if this other, quicker method
> >> would give as good results?
> >>

> >I would rub or cut the butter into the flour.
> >

> Thanks. I rubbed in the butter as per my normal method and it was fine.
>
> If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that give
> the same results?

That's how I would do it. I use my FP for short dough like pie pastry. It
does a great job when the butter is very cold.

Paul Giverin 30-12-2005 09:09 AM

Shortcrust pastry question

In message >, Vox Humana
> writes
>
>"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
>>
>> If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that give
>> the same results?

>That's how I would do it. I use my FP for short dough like pie pastry. It
>does a great job when the butter is very cold.

Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

--
Paul Giverin

Paul Giverin 30-12-2005 09:11 AM

Shortcrust pastry question

In message >, Reg
> writes
>Paul Giverin wrote:
>
>> Thanks. I rubbed in the butter as per my normal method and it was fine.
>> If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that
>>give the same results?

>Yes. I find it's a bit faster than doing it by hand. For
>a flaky pate brisee (ie. with big hunks of unmixed fat left
>in it) I load the bowl with flour and butter and stick
>the whole thing in the freezer to get it cold. It
>then takes half a minute or so to mix.

I'll give it a go. Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

Cheers,

--
Paul Giverin

Vox Humana 30-12-2005 02:27 PM

Shortcrust pastry question

"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> In message >, Vox Humana
> > writes
> >
> >"Paul Giverin" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> If I were mix the flour and butter in a food processor, would that give
> >> the same results?

> >That's how I would do it. I use my FP for short dough like pie pastry.

It
> >does a great job when the butter is very cold.
> >

> Thanks, I'll give that a try next time.

I generally keep my butter in the freezer. I cut it into small pieces while
it is still frozen or still very cold, and then use the FP to cut them into
the flour. It only takes 5 - 10 pulses.