FoodBanter.com

-   -   What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough? (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/77557-what-mixer-would-minimum.html)

Craig Busch 27-12-2005 06:29 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

Hello,
A lot of you have KA or equivalent type stand mixers. What would be the
absolute entry level mixer you could recommend- stand or hand- for
mixing cookie dough?
Thank you

Vox Humana 27-12-2005 07:58 PM

"Craig Busch" wrote in message
Hello,
A lot of you have KA or equivalent type stand mixers. What would be the
absolute entry level mixer you could recommend- stand or hand- for
mixing cookie dough?
Thank you

I would think that a 325 Watt or higher stand mixer would be fine.

chembake 27-12-2005 11:08 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

A lot of you have KA or equivalent type stand mixers. What would be the
absolute entry level mixer you could recommend- stand or hand- for
mixing cookie dough?
Thank you

Mixers for Cookie dough?...
..If I make in small quantities .I don't bother using mixers for that..
f..grin....unless you are interested in making well aerated cookies
where eggs are to be beaten well. such as lady finges sponge drops and
meringue based cookies.....

Craig Busch 28-12-2005 01:58 AM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookiedough?

The thought of not using a mixer is a possibility. I guess I would have
thought that it might be easier to have an even mixture.
Thank you

Tony P. 28-12-2005 02:00 AM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

In article .com,
says...
A lot of you have KA or equivalent type stand mixers. What would be the
absolute entry level mixer you could recommend- stand or hand- for
mixing cookie dough?
Thank you

Mixers for Cookie dough?...
.If I make in small quantities .I don't bother using mixers for that..
f..grin....unless you are interested in making well aerated cookies
where eggs are to be beaten well. such as lady finges sponge drops and
meringue based cookies.....

Actually my 12 year old Sunbeam Mixmaster works just fine for cookie
dough. It's a 228W unit and adequate for those needs.

But I need to get something a little heavier because I'm into the bread
thing now and kneading by hand can get tedious.

So I'll probably end up with a KA series myself.

Jenn Ridley 28-12-2005 02:25 AM

Craig Busch wrote:

The thought of not using a mixer is a possibility. I guess I would have
thought that it might be easier to have an even mixture.

I made cookies (and cakes and bread and frosting) for years without a
mixer of any sort. I never had a problem with unevenly mixed
anything. Then I blew out my shoulder, and I've been using a mixer
ever since. I really prefer making cookies without using a mixer, but
it's just not an option for me.

jenn
--
Jenn Ridley :

Richard Crowley 28-12-2005 02:24 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

"What mixer would you recommend..." is a frequently discussed issue over
on news:rec.audio.pro and news:rec.audio.tech But they have a different
definition of "mixer" over there. Every time I see this subject line, I
have to double-check which newsgroup I am reading to establish the
context of "mixer". :-)

Vox Humana 28-12-2005 02:31 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

"Craig Busch" wrote in message
The thought of not using a mixer is a possibility. I guess I would have
thought that it might be easier to have an even mixture.
Thank you

I agree that you don't need a mixer, but it sure makes things easier. You
can also make double or triple batches all at once, which would be very
difficult by hand.

[email protected] 28-12-2005 03:32 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

what about a food processor?

Vox Humana 28-12-2005 04:51 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

wrote in message
oups.com...
what about a food processor?

You can use a FP for cookies, but there are some considerations. One is
capacity. The other is the viscosity of the dough. I find that making
stiff doughs in the FP can be a challenge. If you don't do it exactly
right, the blade will stall in the dough. I have a large, 900 watt FP, and
it still can stall-out with cookie dough, especially if I am not careful
about the way I add the ingredients. I love my FP, but I still use the
stand mixer for large jobs or when I am mixing something very stiff where
torque is an advantage over speed.

[email protected] 28-12-2005 07:54 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookie dough?

Hi Tony-
I'd never dissuade anyone from getting a KA, tho I have heard some
complaints about the new ones. I LOVE mine and the day I bought it 20
+ years ago said "I should have gotten this a LONG time ago G.

Food processors are excellent for bread, tho they work very fast so you
have to not over work the dough.

Also for indirect breads, anything with a preferment (sourdough,
polish, biga, etc.) you don't have to knead. If you mix the
ingredients and then allow them to rest, autolyse, fold rather than
knead. I haven't done this with straight doughs simply because I
haven't made them in a while. Even if you do want to knead, by hand or
a mixer, allowing the dough to rest cuts the time involved with
kneading way down. There are descriptions of the no-knead in many
places, including _Bread Baker's Apprentice_, _Bread_ (Hamelman),
_Artisan Making_...

-Marylouise

. 29-12-2005 06:13 PM

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Craig Busch wrote:

Hello,
A lot of you have KA or equivalent type stand mixers. What would be the
absolute entry level mixer you could recommend- stand or hand- for
mixing cookie dough?

As a few people have said, you can mix cookie dough by hand. You really
don't NEED any electric mixer. If you are like me and multitask in the
kitchen, having a mixer you can leave run while you work on something else
is really helpful and nice to have.

If this is the case then a hand mixer will not do. Even if you can find a
hand mixer strong enough you will find it hard to hold the bowl with one
hand and the mixer with the other. It also defeats the idea of letting it
run while you work on something else.

As for a stand mixer, I have a 525 Watt Kitchen Aid and it works fine even
on heavy doughs like gingerbread. I look at it like stereo or cars.

If I need a stereo with 500 Watts I want to buy something with more than
500 Watts. The quality at the top range is not going to be as good. If I
buy a 1000 Watt stereo system and only play it at 500 Watts then it should
sound better than a 500 Watt stereo played at 500 Watts.

Similarly, if I'm driving 100 kilometres a days to work at 100 km/h, and
100 kilometres back, I'm not going to buy a 3 cylinder economy car. It
would handle it but I'd drive it into the ground after 4 or 5 years. If I
buy a bigger car (one that will handle 160 km/h easily) then driving it at
100 km/h every day it will still have some resale value in 5 years.

Mind you, my mixer is running 3 hours a night every night for a month
straight before Christmas. Everyone I know gets a dozen each of a few
different cookies, plus my wife and my work have bake sales, plus I like
to try one or two new recipes every year (this year was lemon squares;
basically a shortbread base with a lemon curd on top).

. 29-12-2005 06:15 PM

What mixer would be the minimum you would recommend for cookiedough?

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, wrote:

what about a food processor?

For cookie dough? I grew up in a house with a stand mixer and no food
processor. Not really sure what you can do with a food processor. I
thought they were good for slicing, mincing or blending things. Can you
use they like a mixer?

Reg 29-12-2005 06:54 PM

.. wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, wrote:

what about a food processor?

For cookie dough? I grew up in a house with a stand mixer and no food
processor. Not really sure what you can do with a food processor. I
thought they were good for slicing, mincing or blending things. Can you
use they like a mixer?

FP's do come with a dough attachment, so they can be used
to make cookie and bread doughs. I don't. I prefer the mixer
for these, especially for bread.

FP's are great for pie doughs however, using the regular
chopping blade. They do a fine job of cutting in the
butter/shortening for flaky doughs.

Vox Humana 29-12-2005 09:09 PM

""."" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Dec 2005, wrote:

what about a food processor?

For cookie dough? I grew up in a house with a stand mixer and no food
processor. Not really sure what you can do with a food processor. I
thought they were good for slicing, mincing or blending things. Can you
use they like a mixer?

Yes and no. Food processors can be used to make bread dough and cookie
dough. It is my preferred way of making bread and pie pastry. Rose
Beranabum's Christmas Cookie book has directions for using the FP for all
her cookie recipes. The area where the FP doesn't do well compared to a
mixer is for products where you don't want to develop much gluten - like
cakes. I use mine for some cakes and for quick breads. You just have to be
careful not to over mix. The other issue with the FP is capacity. Most FPs
don't come close to the capacity of a stand mixer. I have both, but I use
my FP much more than the stand mixer.