FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pizza Followup question (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/77025-pizza-followup-question.html)

Rich Hollenbeck 20-12-2005 11:53 AM

Pizza Followup question

I've reduced the sugar in the formula from my textbook almost to none
because my pizzas came out too cake like on the baking sheet. Now that I
have a stone, do I put that sugar back in to compensate for the extra
crispiness created by the stone?

Vox Humana 20-12-2005 01:59 PM

Pizza Followup question

"Rich Hollenbeck" > wrote in message
> I've reduced the sugar in the formula from my textbook almost to none
> because my pizzas came out too cake like on the baking sheet. Now that I
> have a stone, do I put that sugar back in to compensate for the extra
> crispiness created by the stone?

I don't use sugar in my pizza dough. Try it without first.

mikel 23-12-2005 05:23 PM

Pizza Followup question

Rich Hollenbeck wrote:
> I've reduced the sugar in the formula from my textbook almost to none
> because my pizzas came out too cake like on the baking sheet. Now that I
> have a stone, do I put that sugar back in to compensate for the extra
> crispiness created by the stone?

try honey, with the yeast, works really well.

mk

Kamala Ganesh 26-12-2005 07:40 AM

Pizza Followup question

Rich Hollenbeck wrote:
> I've reduced the sugar in the formula from my textbook almost to none
> because my pizzas came out too cake like on the baking sheet. Now that I
> have a stone, do I put that sugar back in to compensate for the extra
> crispiness created by the stone?

I use a bit of sugar or honey to proof the yeast, but none while making
the dough. When I use sourdough starter instead of yeast, I use no
sugar at all. The pizzas(either yeast or sourdough) come out well on a
baking stone.