FoodBanter.com

-   -   Decorating a Pie Top (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/76634-decorating-pie-top.html)

Chris 15-12-2005 10:35 PM

Decorating a Pie Top

Can anyone recommend a book that explains the teqniques for decorating
pies etc.

Chris in UK

Reg 16-12-2005 02:51 AM

Decorating a Pie Top

Chris wrote:

> Can anyone recommend a book that explains the teqniques for decorating
> pies etc.

This has lots of good ideas for decorating your pies, much more
than most, and because it's old it's pretty inexpensive. I got
mine in the bargain bin for a few bucks.

Martha Stewart's Pies & Tarts

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0517589532/qid=1134697531/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-9419603-5742210?s=books&v=glance&n=283155>

The recipes themselves are good enough, but for great
recipes I'd go with "The Pie and Bible" By Rose Levy
Beranbaum.

Happy Holidays and best of luck with your pies.

Reg 16-12-2005 02:54 AM

Decorating a Pie Top

Reg wrote:

> The recipes themselves are good enough, but for great
> recipes I'd go with "The Pie and Bible"

should be "The Pie and Pastry Bible"

Cornofstarchy 16-12-2005 08:07 AM

Decorating a Pie Top

Books are too cumbersome for me. I only like one method: the granny
checkerboard style. ^_^ Just alternate slips of dough that you used to
make the pie bottom (diagram below). Then beat an egg and brush the egg
on top of the slips. When it bakes, the egg will give the top a shiny
look. Halfway through the baking, cover the top with foil (so that it
won't char). After baking is complete, sprinkle some brown sugar on top
and add a small sprig of mint leaves in the centre. Yum.

-||----||----||--
-||----||----||--
----||----||----
----||----||----
-||----||----||---
-||----||----||---

Something like that. It's like weaving a basket, in and out. (I hope the
picture came out alright). You can always make a second pie bottom,
make a small cut-out hole in the centre, and lay it over the top of your
pie. I've noticed that many superstore bakeries do this with their pies.

Alternatively, if you want the strudel method, simply make the pie top,
then cut slits in the top, and lay it over your pie. You can be as
creative as you like. Just make sure you have a hole somewhere for the
moisture to escape or your pie will have bubbles. Worse, the bubbles
will pop the pie top leaving a hole/blemish.

Don't forget the cream pie like some lemon meringue pies have. Just bake
the pie without the top, then after baking, let it cool and cover the
top with cream. Take a knife and "spread" the cream into whatever
shape/form/design you want. Of course, you can always spread the cream
on a pie top.

As for other decorative techniques, such as for the pie ridge or sugar
sprinkles etc., be creative. There's no right or wrong and I'm sure
Martha made up a lot of those "decorating techniques," stuck it in a
book, and then published it. Good luck!

Mary 16-12-2005 03:08 PM

Decorating a Pie Top

I don't use a book, but I do put "shingles" on my two-crust pies! The
shingles are simply pie crust that I have cut with a flower or star
cookie cutter. Put them on beginning at the bottom rim, overlapping a
bit. Add more rows of shingles going round and round and toward the
center of the pie until you have a single shingle for the center. The
pies are beautiful, and there is no problem with a crimped edge
becoming too brown in the oven.

Autumn 19-12-2005 03:59 AM

Decorating a Pie Top

I fold the top crust in half, then in half again. I take a favorite tiny
metal cookie cutter and cut through all the layers near the point of the
folded dough. Un fold and lay on top. Sometimes I take the pieces that I cut
out and use water to glue them on the edges of the crust. I have a turkey I
use for Thanksgiving, a heart I often use, and others.

Jann