Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Feranija

Default Is There a Liquid margarine for Frying and Baking ?

Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.

Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
cholesterol.

Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
recipe calls for a real butter.

Thank you.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Kent

A good question we all should have; I sure do.
Using artificial butter products are OK, but you have to look at
the capacity of the oil to take heat without breaking down, and its aqueous
or water fraction.
I have been trying "I can't believe it's butter" with some baked breads,
with
decent success. I don't think the product will work for frying, or for deep
frying, though
I haven't given it enough of a try.
Usually I use olive oil, for frying, for making roux in sauces, and for
pizza and other breads.
the greater virginity the oil has the less heat it can take.
At this moment, I am using canola for frying because it can take the heat.
I, along with you sure would like to hear other's experience with this.
What do you use?
Thanks
Kent

"Feranija" <feranija@net...> wrote in message ...
> Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for a
> butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If so, which
> one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize it ? The one I
> got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
> Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem with
> a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and cholesterol.
>
> Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
> recipe calls for a real butter.
>
> Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Feranija <feranija@net...> wrote:

>Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
>a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
>so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
>it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
>Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
> with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
>cholesterol.
>
>Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
>recipe calls for a real butter.
>
>Thank you.

Use butter, it's not the villain it was once made out to be.
Unless the baked good form a large portion of his/her diet, the serum
cholesterol obtained from a piece of cake now and again will be of
little effect.
The average person makes about 75% of blood cholesterol in his or her
liver, while only about 25% is absorbed from food.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/fats.html

Ross.
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

"Feranija" <feranija@net...> wrote in message ...
> Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
> a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
> so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
> it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
> Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
> with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
> cholesterol.
>
> Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
> recipe calls for a real butter.

I would forget about margarine and just use oil. I would also consider
using butter or lard. Yes, they have some cholesterol, but they are better
for you than margarine. If you are making pasty that needs solid fat, you
can substitute one of the new trans-fat free products like Smart Beat (or
Smart Balance) or the new Crisco in the green can. I would reserve the
trans-fat free shortening for specific jobs like pie pastry, cookies, or
cakes that use the creaming method. You can use oil for other baking and
cooking jobs.

When you make substitutions, there will be differences in texture and
flavor. That is something you have to accept for the benefit that you
perceive in making the substitution. One thing you could try is to use some
artificial butter flavor in your baked goods. The key is to use very little
of the flavoring to give the impression that butter was used. If you use
too much, it has leaves an unpleasant, "off" flavor that screams artificial
flavor.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Dusty Bleher

"Feranija" <feranija@net...> wrote in message ...
> Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for a
> butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If so, which
> one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize it ? The one I
> got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
> Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem with
> a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and cholesterol.

1) Sadly, it's an oft flouted myth that the level of serum cholesterol in
our blood is directly linked to ingesting fats. The majority of the
cholesterol in our blood is manufactured by our livers.

2) Fats, per se, aren't the problem. Your body desperately needs fats
(cells can not be built/repaired without them). What it doesn't need a
hydrogenated fats, trans-fats. Like the kind found in shortening and
margarine (among other things). Those fats can not be used by the body in
any meaningful way.

> Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
> recipe calls for a real butter.

I suggest that you use real butter. There's nothing that's "good for you"
that can be used in its stead that retains the taste and texture you seek.

HTH,
Dusty

> Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

Kent wrote:

>>Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
>>recipe calls for a real butter.
>>
>>Thank you.

I haved use Earth Balance spread in much baking and cooking...works
wonderfully. Is softer than butter at room temp.
blacksalt
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Feranija <feranija@net...> looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>
> > Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
> > a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
> > so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
> > it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
> >
> > Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
> > with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
> > cholesterol.
> >
> > Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
> > recipe calls for a real butter.
> >
> > Thank you.

> I have looked and looked. Can't find a thing. Personally I'm getting ready
> to go back to oil and sub the butter flavors. I have found nothing that
> will sub for a butter taste.
>
> --
> ...Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.
>
> All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
> now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
> final say on what is, or is not, posted.
> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

There is a commercial product that seems to be butter-flavored oil. It
looks like melted butter, but it never sets up. For the life of me, I
cannot remember the name of it. I used it all the time in the restaurants.
It would take the heat that butter would not. I've never found it retail.

There is also a "butter flavoring". It is like vanilla and is in the spice
section of the grocery. You can't pour it on a baked potato, for example,
because it is like vanilla (smells great; tastes awful), but you can put a
*drop* in boiling water, like for pasta or carrots etc and it will impart
a wonderful butter aroma and flavor the item. Like vanilla, you can add *a
drop* or so to the liquid you are adding to something like a cake or
mashed potatoes and it gives a wonderful flavor. It could easily be
added to oil for a buttery flavored oil. It is a less-is-more
item.

For "table butter", there are items like Molly McButter and Butter Buds.
Parkay also makes a "butter" in a spritz bottle that isn't butter.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Kenneth

On 27 Nov 2005 04:03:28 +0100, Feranija <feranija@net...>
wrote:

>Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
>a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
>so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
>it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
>Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
> with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
>cholesterol.
>
>Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
>recipe calls for a real butter.
>
>Thank you.

Howdy,

The product you want may be called "Squeezable Margarine." I
know nothing about how it behaves in use, and know less
about the health issues, but you can find it in any super
market with the other butter and margarine products.

All the best,
--
Kenneth

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Elaine Parrish > looking for trouble wrote in
> :
>

> >> I have looked and looked. Can't find a thing. Personally I'm getting
> >> ready to go back to oil and sub the butter flavors. I have found
> >> nothing that will sub for a butter taste.
> >>
> >> --
> >> ...Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.
> >>
> >> All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber
> >> kitten. He now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the
> >> household and has the final say on what is, or is not, posted.
> >> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net
> >>

> > There is a commercial product that seems to be butter-flavored oil. It
> > looks like melted butter, but it never sets up. For the life of me, I
> > cannot remember the name of it. I used it all the time in the
> > restaurants. It would take the heat that butter would not. I've never
> > found it retail.

> I would kill for this. I'll pay almost any price. Trying to be heart
> healthy and a diabetic is quite a job. ANY help is appreciated.

I bought it from Sysco - the national food supplier. If you know anyone
that owns a restaurant, they can order it for you. After I left the
business, I would have friends order things for me that I could not get
any longer. As well, the Hardin's Sysco where I ordered my supplies had a
"open to the public" "store" where they sold things. You might check with
local restaurants to see what they may know.

> > There is also a "butter flavoring". It is like vanilla and is in the
> > spice section of the grocery. You can't pour it on a baked potato, for
> > example, because it is like vanilla (smells great; tastes awful), but
> > you can put a *drop* in boiling water, like for pasta or carrots etc
> > and it will impart a wonderful butter aroma and flavor the item. Like
> > vanilla, you can add *a drop* or so to the liquid you are adding to
> > something like a cake or mashed potatoes and it gives a wonderful
> > flavor. It could easily be added to oil for a buttery flavored oil. It
> > is a less-is-more item.
> >
> > For "table butter", there are items like Molly McButter and Butter
> > Buds. Parkay also makes a "butter" in a spritz bottle that isn't
> > butter.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> I have bought the McButter stuff. I also have the spray junk. I put it on
> popcorn I'm thinking I just hope they come out with plain old lard I can
> eat *sigh*...
>

> Michael

Check your local grocery store. They sell lard here. They should be able
to order it for you. They might even order you a case of the liquid butter
stuff. It came in gallon cans and you might have to buy a case to get it.
It would be worth asking.

Elaine, too

> --
> ...Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.
>
> All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
> now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
> final say on what is, or is not, posted.
> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Dave Bell

Elaine Parrish wrote:

>>>There is a commercial product that seems to be butter-flavored oil. It
>>>looks like melted butter, but it never sets up. For the life of me, I
>>>cannot remember the name of it. I used it all the time in the
>>>restaurants. It would take the heat that butter would not. I've never
>>>found it retail.

>>I would kill for this. I'll pay almost any price. Trying to be heart
>>healthy and a diabetic is quite a job. ANY help is appreciated.

> I bought it from Sysco - the national food supplier. If you know anyone
> that owns a restaurant, they can order it for you. After I left the
> business, I would have friends order things for me that I could not get
> any longer. As well, the Hardin's Sysco where I ordered my supplies had a
> "open to the public" "store" where they sold things. You might check with
> local restaurants to see what they may know.

We have a chain of stores here (San Jose, CA area), called "Smart &
Final". They are a "small warehouse store", that caters a lot to the
food service people. I've seen liquid frying oil there,and it does look
and (supposedly) taste like butter. You may have to buy a gallon, but
not a case of gallons...

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:

> Elaine Parrish > looking for trouble wrote in
> :

> >> I would kill for this. I'll pay almost any price. Trying to be heart
> >> healthy and a diabetic is quite a job. ANY help is appreciated.

> > I bought it from Sysco - the national food supplier. If you know
> > anyone that owns a restaurant, they can order it for you. After I left
> > the business, I would have friends order things for me that I could
> > not get any longer. As well, the Hardin's Sysco where I ordered my
> > supplies had a "open to the public" "store" where they sold things.
> > You might check with local restaurants to see what they may know.

> >> I have bought the McButter stuff. I also have the spray junk. I put
> >> it on popcorn I'm thinking I just hope they come out with plain old
> >> lard I can eat *sigh*...
> >>

> >> Michael
> >>

> > Check your local grocery store. They sell lard here. They should be
> > able to order it for you. They might even order you a case of the
> > liquid butter stuff. It came in gallon cans and you might have to buy
> > a case to get it. It would be worth asking.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> Elaine, this is such useful info for me... I can't tell you how much I
> appreciate it. Lots of my friends own restaurants and I just know Straubs
> can get it. Thanks so much again.
>
> Michael

You're welcome, Michael. I hope that product is still around. I've been
totally out of the business for 10 years. It was a great product. I used
it for
everything. Talk to your restaurant friends. There are a lot of commercial
products out there that we can't buy retail. They had an imitation sour
cream called, I think, Sokream, that tasted just like the real thing. It
had a frige shelf life of ... oh,.. 400 years or so. Why they can't make
retail stuff as good is beyond me. Good luck.

Elaine, too

> --
> ...Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.
>
> All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
> now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
> final say on what is, or is not, posted.
> Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

Posted to rec.food.baking
Chuck

On 27 Nov 2005 04:03:28 +0100, Feranija <feranija@net...> wrote:

>Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for
>a butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If
>so, which one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize
>it ? The one I got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
>
>Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem
> with a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and
>cholesterol.
>
>Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
>recipe calls for a real butter.
>
>Thank you.

Shedd's Spread Country Crock brand makes a product in a squeeze
bottle.. (if you're in the US)
http://www.countrycrock.com/prod_squeeze.asp
No cholesterol, trans fat.. I'm out of it right now..so I don't know
if you can cook with it...
It's MUCH better than "Butter Buds" It's not totally fat free, but no
trans fat/cholesterol..
Tastes great on items that have already been cooked.. which is the
only way I've used it,
which is on popcorn, oatmeal, grits, baked potatoes etc..
here's their FAQ for their products..
http://www.countrycrock.com/TransFatFAQDetail.asp#
Chuck
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

"Susan" > wrote in message > I don't fry stuff, for one
thing. And soy oil would be way down on my
> list of things to use if I did.

I can't imagine cooking without sautéing vegetables.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wendy

I just want to echo the information I've seen posted re cholesterol. Most
is produced by our bodies - 80% so I've been told. Of what is left, there
is a chance of influencing maybe half. Those odds are not good enough for
me to change a whole lot of a diet. For frying, olive oil works fine. For
baking, I would stick with butter. Margarine is not good for you. I have
also recently heard that when melted, margarine becomes trans-fat so that is
not helpful. Exercise is at least if not more important when trying to
lower cholesterol. Wendy
> > Is there some liquid margarine that can be used as a substitute for a
> > butter and a regular solid margarine, for baking and frying ? If so,

which
> > one it is ? What are ingredients, I mean how to recognize it ? The one I
> > got in a local supermarket doesn't melt well.
> >
> > Because a family member has problems with a cholesterol, the problem

with
> > a real butter and solid margarine are saturated fats and cholesterol.

> 1) Sadly, it's an oft flouted myth that the level of serum cholesterol in
> our blood is directly linked to ingesting fats. The majority of the
> cholesterol in our blood is manufactured by our livers.
>
> 2) Fats, per se, aren't the problem. Your body desperately needs fats
> (cells can not be built/repaired without them). What it doesn't need a
> hydrogenated fats, trans-fats. Like the kind found in shortening and
> margarine (among other things). Those fats can not be used by the body in
> any meaningful way.
>
> > Our goal is to retain a specific buttery flavour in baked goods when
> > recipe calls for a real butter.

> I suggest that you use real butter. There's nothing that's "good for you"
> that can be used in its stead that retains the taste and texture you seek.
>

> HTH,
> Dusty
>

> > Thank you.

then reply to the confirmation request.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dusty Bleher

"Wendy" > wrote in message
news:mailman.1.1133311284.60561.rec.food.baking@ma il.otherwhen.com...
>I just want to echo the information I've seen posted re cholesterol. Most
> is produced by our bodies - 80% so I've been told. Of what is left, there

Yep. That's about right (but it does vary a bit among individuals by age,
sex, and physical activity).

> is a chance of influencing maybe half. Those odds are not good enough for

Also about right. With apparently the worst villain being commercially
homogenized "whole" milk.

> me to change a whole lot of a diet. For frying, olive oil works fine.
> For

True, but with a caution. OO is wonderful used cold and/or with
low-temperature cooking/frying. Unfortunately it smokes at a relatively low
temperature...and those resultant break-down products are not good for you.
Better to use saff or sunflower oil, or, the best one to use for higher
temperature cooking/frying is coconut oil. All of the fear mongering that
we used to hear about that kind of oil turned out to be completely wrong.

> baking, I would stick with butter. Margarine is not good for you. I have
> also recently heard that when melted, margarine becomes trans-fat so that
> is
> not helpful. Exercise is at least if not more important when trying to
> lower cholesterol. Wendy

All your points are spot-on, Wendy. It's good to find another that reads
and thinks independently...(:-o)!

Best regards dear lady,
Dusty

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
chembake

I am not familiar with liquid or pumpable margarine but I heard that
there is; But I doubt that it can versatile enough to be used for both
baking and frying. The main problem is that these pumpable margerine
can contains substantial amount of water .

I had used liquid shortening which is better as it has no water but
mainly vegetable oil in it but the presence of emulsifiers make it
unsuitable for frying..
That materials is only suited for bread and cake making. but they are
specialist ingredients and not interchangeable for breabaking or cake
making. One good material for cakes is Durkee fluid flex..

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
chembake

>Liquid fats are poor, and generally
>unworkable, substitutes for solid fats in baking;

Not in all bakery products, in particular bread and cakes.

>solid fat is important to
>texture in many baked goods.

Hmnn that was the idea before the advent of liquid shortening...but
based on experience specialized liquid shortening products that
contains the right blend of emulsifers can perform better in baked
goods like for example bread bread and cakes.

Meaning the dough strengthening emulsifiers like the succinylated
monoglyceries, DATEM and SSL can make your ordinary viegetable oil to
perform like your using soild vegetable shortening in baking. but at
35% less that the amount of solid vegetable shortening.
When using liquid shortening you will need only 1/3 less for the same
functionality and textural qualities as 100% solid shortening.
Hence your soft bread can be made with less amount of fat .

Many industrial bread nowadays does not contain hardened vegetable fat
due to the issue of Trans fats.

You can duplicate that at home if you had access to the emulsifiers
such as Sodium stearoyl lactylate ( SSL)or diacetytartaric acid esters
of monoglycerides ( DATEM) and your bread will come out better than
using normal shorteing or just plain vegetable oil.
Further these cake liquid shortening are trans fats free also.!

The same also with cakes you can reduce the required fat by up to 40%
as long as you use the right emulsifiers such as either one or right
blend of these materials:

Propylene glycol monoester,( PGME) , glyceryl lactopalmitate/ stearate(
GLP), Acetylated Monoglycerides( ACETEM) and Polyglycerol esters or
monoglycerides. PGE. and your cake batter will aerate better with just
single stage mixing and better in quality than the cakes made with the
traditional cake making methods.
You can also duplicate that by dissolving any or the right blend
these emulsifiers with the oil and use it your cake making process.

One notable limitations of liquid shortening is it's not suited for
pasty and cookie making< sigh> as solid fats is amply needed here.
.. But if you are a specialist bread or cake manufacturer you have to
take the advantage of these innovative ingredients.