Posted to rec.food.baking
J@mes

Default Dinner rolls

I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving. I got a quisenart FP.
then I got employed and have been busy ever since. I made some last year
using a recipe I got in here in my bread machine. but now I have the ol' FP
and am thinking that I would really impress my "know it all" son in law.
I made several loaves of bread using the thing for mixing and kneeding. But
I don't really remember what to do.
Help anyone?
j@mes

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:50:54 GMT, "J@mes" > wrote:

>I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving.

Without a doubt....this is the best dinner roll recipe!
Sorry....but a food processor is not require rd.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Overnight Yeast Rolls

breads

3 tablespoon yeast
1 cup water, warm 105f.
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water, boiling
2 large eggs
6 cup flour

Proof yeast in 2 cup measure and let stand 5 minutes.

Combine shortening, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl. Add boiling
water and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
Add eggs and yeast mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
Gradually add flour and mix completely. Cover workbowl and chill for
8 hours.

Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 balls in each greased muffin cup.

Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or double.

Bake at 400F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

CINNAMON ROLLS:

Divide chilled dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12 x 10
rectangle. Brush each rectangle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
Combine 2/3 cup brown sugar, « cup raisins, and 1 tablespoon
cinnamon, Sprinkle over rectangles. Staring with a long side, roll
up, jellyroll fashion and press edges to seal. Cut into 1 inch
slices and place in lightly greased 13 x 9 pan. Let rise until
double and bake as directed. Cool slightly.

Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon
vanilla. Drizzle over warm rolls.

ORANGE ROLLS:

Divide dough as above. Combine 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons
grated orange rind, 1/4 cup butter, melted and 3 tablespoons orange
juice. Proceed as above.

Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon orange rind, and 3
tablespoons orange juice. Proceed as above.

Yield: 3 dozen

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.
As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"J@mes" > wrote in message
nk.net...

> I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving. I got a quisenart FP.
> then I got employed and have been busy ever since. I made some last year
> using a recipe I got in here in my bread machine. but now I have the ol'

FP
> and am thinking that I would really impress my "know it all" son in law.
> I made several loaves of bread using the thing for mixing and kneeding.

But
> I don't really remember what to do.
> Help anyone?
> j@mes

I put all the dry ingredients, including my instant dry yeast, into the FP
bowl. I pulse a few times to mix. I add eggs, if used, and pulse a few
times. With motor running, I add any warm liquid and fat (if used) through
the feed tube until a ball forms and rotates around the bowl for about a
minute. That's it. If you use active dry yeast or fresh yeast that needs
to be hydrated and/or proofed, add that to the dry ingredients and then add
the rest of the liquid. If the final dough is too dry (is should be
slightly sticky) add small droplets of liquid while the machine is running.
If it is too sticky, add a couple of tablespoons of flour at a time while
the machine is running.

Posted to rec.food.baking
J@mes

Thanks Vox!
"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
. ..

> "J@mes" > wrote in message
> nk.net...
> >
> > I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving. I got a quisenart

FP.
> > then I got employed and have been busy ever since. I made some last

year
> > using a recipe I got in here in my bread machine. but now I have the

ol'
> FP
> > and am thinking that I would really impress my "know it all" son in law.
> > I made several loaves of bread using the thing for mixing and kneeding.

> But
> > I don't really remember what to do.
> > Help anyone?
> > j@mes

> I put all the dry ingredients, including my instant dry yeast, into the FP
> bowl. I pulse a few times to mix. I add eggs, if used, and pulse a few
> times. With motor running, I add any warm liquid and fat (if used)

through
> the feed tube until a ball forms and rotates around the bowl for about a
> minute. That's it. If you use active dry yeast or fresh yeast that needs
> to be hydrated and/or proofed, add that to the dry ingredients and then

add
> the rest of the liquid. If the final dough is too dry (is should be
> slightly sticky) add small droplets of liquid while the machine is

running.
> If it is too sticky, add a couple of tablespoons of flour at a time while
> the machine is running.

Posted to rec.food.baking
J@mes

Thanks!
"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:50:54 GMT, "J@mes" > wrote:
>

> >I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving.

> Without a doubt....this is the best dinner roll recipe!
> Sorry....but a food processor is not require rd.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Overnight Yeast Rolls
>
> breads
>
> 3 tablespoon yeast
> 1 cup water, warm 105f.
> 1 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup water, boiling
> 2 large eggs
> 6 cup flour
>
> Proof yeast in 2 cup measure and let stand 5 minutes.
>
> Combine shortening, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl. Add boiling
> water and beat at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth.
> Add eggs and yeast mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
> Gradually add flour and mix completely. Cover workbowl and chill for
> 8 hours.
>
> Shape into 1 inch balls and place 3 balls in each greased muffin cup.
>
> Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or double.
>
> Bake at 400F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
>
> CINNAMON ROLLS:
>
> Divide chilled dough in half. Roll each portion into a 12 x 10
> rectangle. Brush each rectangle with 2 tablespoons melted butter.
> Combine 2/3 cup brown sugar, « cup raisins, and 1 tablespoon
> cinnamon, Sprinkle over rectangles. Staring with a long side, roll
> up, jellyroll fashion and press edges to seal. Cut into 1 inch
> slices and place in lightly greased 13 x 9 pan. Let rise until
> double and bake as directed. Cool slightly.
>
> Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 3 to 4 tablespoons milk, and 1 teaspoon
> vanilla. Drizzle over warm rolls.
>
> ORANGE ROLLS:
>
> Divide dough as above. Combine 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 2 teaspoons
> grated orange rind, 1/4 cup butter, melted and 3 tablespoons orange
> juice. Proceed as above.
>
> Combine 2 cups powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon orange rind, and 3
> tablespoons orange juice. Proceed as above.
>
> Yield: 3 dozen
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.70 **
>

> The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
> Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
> may not be consistent with what you know to be true.
> As with any recipe, you may find your personal
> intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:50:54 GMT, "J@mes" > wrote:
>

> >I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving.

> Without a doubt....this is the best dinner roll recipe!
> Sorry....but a food processor is not require rd.
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Overnight Yeast Rolls
>
> breads
>
> 3 tablespoon yeast
> 1 cup water, warm 105f.
> 1 cup shortening
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1 cup water, boiling
> 2 large eggs
> 6 cup flour

Are you sure that you use ONE CUP of shortening for 6 cups of flour? I can
see up to three tablespoons, but not an entire cup. I'll have to check, but
I don't think that my brioche recipe calls for an entire cup of butter for 6
cups of flour.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:32:22 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>Are you sure that you use ONE CUP of shortening for 6 cups of flour?

YES that is right....we're from the south.......and even had made it
half shortening...half...dare I say the word.....LARD!

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:32:22 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >Are you sure that you use ONE CUP of shortening for 6 cups of flour?

> YES that is right....we're from the south.......and even had made it
> half shortening...half...dare I say the word.....LARD!

Alrighty then - just checking. By the way, lard is better for you than
hydrogenated shortening.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:51:35 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>Alrighty then - just checking. By the way, lard is better for you than
>hydrogenated shortening.

Vox....try that recipe and tell me what you think....we love them. And
make it just like it is written. You won't be disappointed.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:51:35 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >Alrighty then - just checking. By the way, lard is better for you than
> >hydrogenated shortening.
> >

> Vox....try that recipe and tell me what you think....we love them. And
> make it just like it is written. You won't be disappointed.

You mean I can't substitute butter for the shortening?

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:03:08 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>You mean I can't substitute butter for the shortening?

try it both ways and tell me what you think.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Ward Abbott" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:03:08 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
> wrote:
>
> >You mean I can't substitute butter for the shortening?
> >

> try it both ways and tell me what you think.

OK. I'll give it a try with the shortening first.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:50:54 GMT, "J@mes" > wrote:
>

>>I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving.

> Without a doubt....this is the best dinner roll recipe!
> Sorry....but a food processor is not require rd.
>
> Overnight Yeast Rolls
>
> 3 tablespoon yeast
> 1 cup water, warm 105f.

> 6 cup flour

I've been following this thread today, and they do look delicious...
About how many rolls does this make, Ward? I may want to halve the
recipe for a smaller group.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:40:58 GMT, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>I've been following this thread today, and they do look delicious...
>About how many rolls does this make, Ward? I may want to halve the
>recipe for a smaller group.

The recipe says the yield is three dozen. I have never got that many
out of the recipe..but then I made the rolls a little bigger. Also, I
have never halved the recipe but am going to do so this year. Smaller
crowd for us this year.

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:40:58 GMT, Dave Bell
> > wrote:
>

>>I've been following this thread today, and they do look delicious...
>>About how many rolls does this make, Ward? I may want to halve the
>>recipe for a smaller group.

> The recipe says the yield is three dozen. I have never got that many
> out of the recipe..but then I made the rolls a little bigger. Also, I
> have never halved the recipe but am going to do so this year. Smaller
> crowd for us this year.

Thanks - I saw the 3 dozen, but it was way down with the orange rolls,
and I wasn't sure it applied to the basic ones. The more I think about
it, I think we're ending up with about 14, including 4 early teens.
Maybe I should be *doubling*, instead!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Tue 22 Nov 2005 07:34:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?

> Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:40:58 GMT, Dave Bell
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>I've been following this thread today, and they do look delicious...
>>>About how many rolls does this make, Ward? I may want to halve the
>>>recipe for a smaller group.

>> The recipe says the yield is three dozen. I have never got that many
>> out of the recipe..but then I made the rolls a little bigger. Also, I
>> have never halved the recipe but am going to do so this year. Smaller
>> crowd for us this year.
>>

> Thanks - I saw the 3 dozen, but it was way down with the orange rolls,
> and I wasn't sure it applied to the basic ones. The more I think about
> it, I think we're ending up with about 14, including 4 early teens.
> Maybe I should be *doubling*, instead!

I guess so, if they're going to gorge on bread. :-) A holiday meals offers
too many other good tastes for me to eat more than one or two.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Tue 22 Nov 2005 07:34:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?
>
> > Ward Abbott wrote:
> >> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:40:58 GMT, Dave Bell

> >> The recipe says the yield is three dozen. I have never got that many
> >> out of the recipe..but then I made the rolls a little bigger. Also, I
> >> have never halved the recipe but am going to do so this year. Smaller
> >> crowd for us this year.
> >>

> > Thanks - I saw the 3 dozen, but it was way down with the orange rolls,
> > and I wasn't sure it applied to the basic ones. The more I think about
> > it, I think we're ending up with about 14, including 4 early teens.
> > Maybe I should be *doubling*, instead!

> I guess so, if they're going to gorge on bread. :-) A holiday meals

offers
> too many other good tastes for me to eat more than one or two.

If you get the teens to stuff themselves with dinner rolls it keep the costs
down and leaves the good stuff for the adults.

Posted to rec.food.baking
TammyM

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:16:17 GMT, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 04:50:54 GMT, "J@mes" > wrote:
>

>>I'm hoping to make "dinner rolls" for thanksgiving.

>Without a doubt....this is the best dinner roll recipe!
>Sorry....but a food processor is not require rd.
>
>@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
>Overnight Yeast Rolls

<snip recipe for brevity>

Wow! This looks great, thanks so much, Ward. The family will be
delighted to see homemade rolls on our TDay table tomorrow :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 09:51:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Vox
Humana?

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Tue 22 Nov 2005 07:34:15p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave
>> Bell?

>> > Thanks - I saw the 3 dozen, but it was way down with the orange
>> > rolls, and I wasn't sure it applied to the basic ones. The more I
>> > think about it, I think we're ending up with about 14, including 4
>> > early teens. Maybe I should be *doubling*, instead!

>> I guess so, if they're going to gorge on bread. :-) A holiday meals
>> offers too many other good tastes for me to eat more than one or two.
>>

> If you get the teens to stuff themselves with dinner rolls it keep the
> costs down and leaves the good stuff for the adults.

Good point! :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

What yeast do you use?

6 T is quite alot, even for 6 cups of flour.
I would be using Red Star "instant", by default.

With the 8 hour chill time, I will probably make the dough tom,orrow
morning, rather than tonight...

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking
Ward Abbott

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:11:15 -0800, Dave Bell
> wrote:

>What yeast do you use?
>
>6 T is quite alot, even for 6 cups of flour.
>I would be using Red Star "instant", by default.

Maybe you need to look closer at the original recipe...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Overnight Yeast Rolls

breads

3 tablespoon yeast
1 cup water, warm 105f.
1 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water, boiling
2 large eggs
6 cup flour

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:11:15 -0800, Dave Bell
> > wrote:
>

>>What yeast do you use?
>>
>>6 T is quite alot, even for 6 cups of flour.
>>I would be using Red Star "instant", by default.

That's what comes from posting too early in the day!
I meant to type 3 T, not 6. Still, quite a bit if I use instant yeasts,
isn't it?

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 23 Nov 2005 06:06:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?

> Ward Abbott wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:11:15 -0800, Dave Bell
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>What yeast do you use?
>>>
>>>6 T is quite alot, even for 6 cups of flour.
>>>I would be using Red Star "instant", by default.

> That's what comes from posting too early in the day!
> I meant to type 3 T, not 6. Still, quite a bit if I use instant yeasts,
> isn't it?
>
> Dave

Then you would be using the wrong yeast. The recipe does not specify
instant yeast. Unless specified, one should assume regular yeast.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 23 Nov 2005 06:06:56p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?
>

>>Ward Abbott wrote:

>>That's what comes from posting too early in the day!
>>I meant to type 3 T, not 6. Still, quite a bit if I use instant yeasts,
>>isn't it?
>>
>>Dave

> Then you would be using the wrong yeast. The recipe does not specify
> instant yeast. Unless specified, one should assume regular yeast.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
A fine recipe for dinner rolls...

They came out very good, Wayne, despite some minor changes.

I used my unbleached white Spelt flour (so I could eat them), which
tends towards a slack dough. I wasn't comfortable enough adjusting the
recipe, so used the measurements you provided, which made the dough
"balls" a little soft, so they merged as they rose in the tins. Came out
looking more like corn muffins than trefoil rolls, but they had an
excellent crumb, and tasted great. 3 tablespoons of yeast *was* quite a
lot: even in the fridge for 7 hours, the dough at least tripled, pushing
the top off the bowl and running down the sides! I think I'd use less,
next time, as well as increasing the flour a bit.

Thanks from all of us - they made a nice addition to our meal!

Dave

Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 25 Nov 2005 12:50:35a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> A fine recipe for dinner rolls...
>
> They came out very good, Wayne, despite some minor changes.
>
> I used my unbleached white Spelt flour (so I could eat them), which
> tends towards a slack dough. I wasn't comfortable enough adjusting the
> recipe, so used the measurements you provided, which made the dough
> "balls" a little soft, so they merged as they rose in the tins. Came out
> looking more like corn muffins than trefoil rolls, but they had an
> excellent crumb, and tasted great. 3 tablespoons of yeast *was* quite a
> lot: even in the fridge for 7 hours, the dough at least tripled, pushing
> the top off the bowl and running down the sides! I think I'd use less,
> next time, as well as increasing the flour a bit.
>
> Thanks from all of us - they made a nice addition to our meal!
>
> Dave

Dave, I'm glad you liked the rolls, but it wasn't my recipe. I also made
them for the first time and really liked them. Could it possibly be the
difference in flour with the yeast that made them rise that much? I used
Hodgson Mills unbleached all-purpose flour and Fleischman's yeast. Could
also be that my refrigerator was colder. My rise was only slightly more
the double. Maybe use 2 tablespoons of yeast next time.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.baking
Dave Bell

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Dave, I'm glad you liked the rolls, but it wasn't my recipe. I also made
> them for the first time and really liked them. Could it possibly be the
> difference in flour with the yeast that made them rise that much? I used
> Hodgson Mills unbleached all-purpose flour and Fleischman's yeast. Could
> also be that my refrigerator was colder. My rise was only slightly more
> the double. Maybe use 2 tablespoons of yeast next time.

I don't think the flour was much of an influence on the rise; it usually
only tends to be slack and wet. 2T is about what I figured, too...

Dave
Posted to rec.food.baking
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 26 Nov 2005 03:52:49p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Dave Bell?

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Dave, I'm glad you liked the rolls, but it wasn't my recipe. I also

made
>> them for the first time and really liked them. Could it possibly be the
>> difference in flour with the yeast that made them rise that much? I

used
>> Hodgson Mills unbleached all-purpose flour and Fleischman's yeast.

Could
>> also be that my refrigerator was colder. My rise was only slightly more
>> the double. Maybe use 2 tablespoons of yeast next time.

> I don't think the flour was much of an influence on the rise; it usually
> only tends to be slack and wet. 2T is about what I figured, too...
>
> Dave

I'd be curious as to how they come out. I probably won't be making rolls
again until Christmas, assuming we are eating at home.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

REC: Dinner Rolls jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 10 02-12-2009 12:44 AM
Nana\\\'s Dinner Rolls Nana[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 07-07-2009 05:59 PM
dinner rolls Rachael Simpson Baking 3 23-06-2007 08:07 PM
Dinner Rolls Tim Recipes 0 07-06-2005 01:22 AM
Dinner Rolls 2 Tim Recipes 0 07-06-2005 01:22 AM