Posted to rec.food.baking
baker1

Default Why add salt?

Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
of salt? Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
the unsalted?

In making these short breads, I find salt crystals that don't dissolve
in the batter, and don't want it. I've tried adding the salt when
mixing the sugar/butter and that helped, but still not perfect. I
could dissolve the salt in the vanilla, but don't want to do that.

I've found a very fine salt but it's expensive, (the amount would be
different) and I can't seem to crush my own fine enough.

Ideas?
Posted to rec.food.baking
Jim Lahue

baker1 wrote:

> Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
> of salt? Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
> the unsalted?
>
> In making these short breads, I find salt crystals that don't dissolve
> in the batter, and don't want it. I've tried adding the salt when
> mixing the sugar/butter and that helped, but still not perfect. I
> could dissolve the salt in the vanilla, but don't want to do that.
>
> I've found a very fine salt but it's expensive, (the amount would be
> different) and I can't seem to crush my own fine enough.
>
> Ideas?

Unsalted butter is called for because:
a) you cannot control the amount of salt in salted butter (you don't
know how much salt not to use to offset the salt in the butter).
b) salt added to butter can be used to mask "off" flavors in the butter

I use sea salt in my baking (...I can't think of the brand right now...)
and I don't think that I've ever had salt crystals that had not dissolved.

Jim Lahue
Posted to rec.food.baking
Vox Humana

"baker1" > wrote in message
> Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
> of salt? Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
> the unsalted?
>
> In making these short breads, I find salt crystals that don't dissolve
> in the batter, and don't want it. I've tried adding the salt when
> mixing the sugar/butter and that helped, but still not perfect. I
> could dissolve the salt in the vanilla, but don't want to do that.
>
> I've found a very fine salt but it's expensive, (the amount would be
> different) and I can't seem to crush my own fine enough.
>
> Ideas?

I agree with the statements about the butter. Unsalted butter is nearly
always a superior tasting product within a line from the same manufacturer.
Since butter is often a major contributor to the flavor of baked goods, you
want to use the best butter available. As for the salt - pickling salt is
very fine and not at all expensive. I'm sure that someone will know the
conversion factor for various types of salt. If you weigh your ingredients,
then there would be no conversion needed. Salt is primarily for flavor in
most recipes, so use your discretion.

Posted to rec.food.baking
baker1

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 18:40:45 GMT, "Vox Humana" >
wrote:

>I agree with the statements about the butter. Unsalted butter is nearly
>always a superior tasting product within a line from the same manufacturer.
>Since butter is often a major contributor to the flavor of baked goods, you
>want to use the best butter available. As for the salt - pickling salt is
>very fine and not at all expensive. I'm sure that someone will know the
>conversion factor for various types of salt. If you weigh your ingredients,
>then there would be no conversion needed. Salt is primarily for flavor in
>most recipes, so use your discretion.

I hear what you folks are saying, makes sense. I use Lurpak, a great
imported butter...both their salted and unsalted. I also use Sea Salt
fine but those darn crystals keep in tact. I'll look for the superfine
and use the weight system...good idea. Thx
Posted to rec.food.baking
chembake

>Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
>of salt?

Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
>the unsalted?

Why would you use both unsalted butter instead than combining two kinds
of butter?
That would be an added expense.
Whenever I use butter in bakery and confectionery cookery I never
bother to use salted butter , rather I add salt in the recipe instead.

>Ideas?

Generally salted butter melts faster than unsalted as salt has some
sort of melting point depression effect.
So unsalted butter is more pliable than salted butter and that what
makes it suitable for laminated pastries and in many baking
applications.
If you cream salted butter with sugar it tends to soften faster than
unsalted butter. so the resulting cream will have less incorporated air
bubbles than if the unsalted butter is used and there is a difference
in the resulting cream specific gravity which can influence the cake
quality .

Posted to rec.food.baking
baker1

On 8 Nov 2005 12:46:36 -0800, "chembake" > wrote:

>If you cream salted butter with sugar it tends to soften faster than
>unsalted butter. so the resulting cream will have less incorporated air
>bubbles than if the unsalted butter is used and there is a difference
>in the resulting cream specific gravity which can influence the cake
>quality .

Well that certainly is some interesting information. Never thought
about it that way. Thx
Posted to rec.food.baking

I must be missing something here but I use table salt in most baking
and have never had any problems.

If you are adding sufficient liquid you can dissolve the salt in some
of the liquid first.

The salt is a flavor enhancer and the unsalted butter allows you to
control just how much salt is actually used.

Member

Location: Queensland, Australia
Post

I have never used salted butter in any of my cooking I have always added the salt myself as you can controll the amount.
salted butter has a longer shelf life so you dont know how long the butter has been there and butter can go rancid the salt is used as a preservative
so use unsalted butter and you will find it is a lot fresher as it doesnt last quite as long as the salted.
dissolving the salt in the vanilla should help, try using table salt which is fairly fine in the vanilla to dissolve it should help rectify the problem.
also if you have a motar and pesil this could help also

Quote:
Originally Posted by baker1
Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
of salt? Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
the unsalted?

In making these short breads, I find salt crystals that don't dissolve
in the batter, and don't want it. I've tried adding the salt when
mixing the sugar/butter and that helped, but still not perfect. I
could dissolve the salt in the vanilla, but don't want to do that.

I've found a very fine salt but it's expensive, (the amount would be
different) and I can't seem to crush my own fine enough.

Ideas?
__________________
Good food, Great Wine, and excellent company at the dinner table, what more could you ask for!!
Posted to rec.food.baking
retzofrex

1. Salt is actually required by the yeast as a control agent in most
formula used for bread. While milk, butter, sugar, etc., may not be
needed, salt is. As for using salted butter, one can, but the amount of
salt in the butter varies by jurisdiction and dairy, so you then do not
know how much salt you are using.

2. If you use it a lot, you can make a salt solution with x amount of
salt and y amount of water, heated to dissolve the salt, then cooled.
Figure out the amount of salt per mL or liquid ounce and go accordingly
in your recipes.

3. Take your favourite electric coffee/spice mill, pour a bit of salt in
it and grind it to a fine powder if you want miniscule particles of salt
to use. Then use WEIGHT as the volume will be far smaller than before
and you will overdo the salt if you do not switch.

4. Every recipe uses some form of liquid, including shortbreads. If you
have ground the salt fine as in 3 above, you can incorporate the salt in
the liquid before using it and let it sit a while so that the salt
dissolves - time counts ...

RsH
On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:03:48 GMT, baker1 > wrote:

>Why do recipes call for unsalted butter, then tell you to add 1/2 tsp
>of salt? Why not just use an appropriate amount of salted butter with
>the unsalted?
>
>In making these short breads, I find salt crystals that don't dissolve
>in the batter, and don't want it. I've tried adding the salt when
>mixing the sugar/butter and that helped, but still not perfect. I
>could dissolve the salt in the vanilla, but don't want to do that.
>
>I've found a very fine salt but it's expensive, (the amount would be
>different) and I can't seem to crush my own fine enough.
>
>Ideas?

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!