Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
David Hare-Scott

Default Splatter protection (crossposted)

I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
this:

- trim ribs
- marinate
- put in oven dish with oven on fan
- cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
- when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
- cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
thickens and adheres
- drain off fat and serve

This works very well. The flesh stays moist, the fat is cooked out and the
marinade caramelises a little.

Now SWMBO says this is very tasty and I have to do it regularly but can I
please stop the splatter on the inside of the oven. A reasonable request.
During the moist stage the tray can be covered with foil but during the
drying stage it needs to be open to allow evaporation. What can I do? I am
in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
device is not on.

I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?

David

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
aem

David Hare-Scott wrote:
> I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
> this:
>
> - trim ribs
> - marinate
> - put in oven dish with oven on fan
> - cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
> - when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
> - cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
> thickens and adheres
> - drain off fat and serve
> [snip]
> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?

Fan, schman, I think you're cooking the ribs at too high a heat to
begin with. You shouldn't need water in the first place, nor should
you need to be turning them. Hold the heat under 250°F, remove when
done and eat. Or remove just before done and finish on a hot grill or
under your broiler, brushing with your sauce. -aem

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
jacqui{JB}

"David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message

> Now SWMBO says this is very tasty and I have to
> do it regularly but can I please stop the splatter on
> the inside of the oven. A reasonable request. ...
> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire
> and metal insect mesh that exactly fits the tray.
> What do you think?

I think that the best solution is the clean the oven more often. Your
screen idea is interesting, but it's going to change your results,
especially after you turn on the upper heating element.

I'm sure your SWMBO would be appeased if you'd clean the oven for her, as
necessary. I know I would be.
-j

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> David Hare-Scott wrote:
> > I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
> > this:
> >
> > - trim ribs
> > - marinate
> > - put in oven dish with oven on fan
> > - cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
> > - when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
> > - cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
> > thickens and adheres
> > - drain off fat and serve
> > [snip]
> > I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> > that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?
> >

> Fan, schman, I think you're cooking the ribs at too high a heat to
> begin with. You shouldn't need water in the first place, nor should
> you need to be turning them. Hold the heat under 250°F, remove when
> done and eat. Or remove just before done and finish on a hot grill or
> under your broiler, brushing with your sauce. -aem

I just cook ribs outside where spattering does not matter. ;-)
And I get a nice smoked flavor that way.

Cheers!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 02:28:04 GMT, David Hare-Scott wrote:

> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?

You could try... but I've never been impressed by those wire mesh
splatter stoppers. There is still a mess to clean unless you're
cooking at such a low heat you wouldn't need one anyway.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
zara

"David Hare-Scott" > wrote in message
>I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
> this:
>
> - trim ribs
> - marinate
> - put in oven dish with oven on fan
> - cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
> - when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
> - cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
> thickens and adheres
> - drain off fat and serve
>
> This works very well. The flesh stays moist, the fat is cooked out and
> the
> marinade caramelises a little.
>
> Now SWMBO says this is very tasty and I have to do it regularly but can I
> please stop the splatter on the inside of the oven. A reasonable request.
> During the moist stage the tray can be covered with foil but during the
> drying stage it needs to be open to allow evaporation. What can I do? I
> am
> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
> device is not on.
>
> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?

put them in a microwave with a cover, use a little water - cook at half
power for 90 minutes (you might have to experiment) Finish in your oven.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Puester

David Hare-Scott wrote:
I am
> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
> device is not on.
>
> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?
>
> David

I have never seen a splatter screen for the oven, but the US
"dandy device" for stovetop frying is a round metal mesh screen
with a stiffer rim of metal around the edge for stability.

Can you get insect mesh in stainless steel? You want to avoid
both rust and metals that are not food-safe. Otherwise your plan
sounds quite workable.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
David Hare-Scott

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>Fan, schman, I think you're cooking the ribs at too high a heat to
>begin with. You shouldn't need water in the first place, nor should
>you need to be turning them. Hold the heat under 250°F, remove when
>done and eat. Or remove just before done and finish on a hot grill or
>under your broiler, brushing with your sauce. -aem

OK I will try a lower heat

David

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
David Hare-Scott

"Puester" > wrote in message
> David Hare-Scott wrote:
> I am
> > in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
> > device is not on.
> >
> > I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect

mesh
> > that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?
> >
> > David
> >

> I have never seen a splatter screen for the oven, but the US
> "dandy device" for stovetop frying is a round metal mesh screen
> with a stiffer rim of metal around the edge for stability.
>
> Can you get insect mesh in stainless steel? You want to avoid
> both rust and metals that are not food-safe. Otherwise your plan
> sounds quite workable.
>
> gloria p

Yes it comes in SS, I will try the other suggestion of lower heat first and
see if the screen is still required

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.food.baking
.

On Sun, 30 Oct 2005, David Hare-Scott wrote:

> I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
> this:
>
> - trim ribs
> - marinate
> - put in oven dish with oven on fan
> - cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
> - when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
> - cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
> thickens and adheres
> - drain off fat and serve
>
> This works very well. The flesh stays moist, the fat is cooked out and the
> marinade caramelises a little.
>
> Now SWMBO says this is very tasty and I have to do it regularly but can I
> please stop the splatter on the inside of the oven. A reasonable request.
> During the moist stage the tray can be covered with foil but during the
> drying stage it needs to be open to allow evaporation. What can I do? I am
> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
> device is not on.
>
> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?

My wife has a screen for preventing splatter when cooking with a wok. It
is stainless steel and very large. Maybe that will work for you. See if
there is a store in your china town area (hopeully you have a china town
area somewhere near by).

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
graham

"Puester" > wrote in message
> David Hare-Scott wrote:
> I am
>> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
>> device is not on.
>>
>> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect mesh
>> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?
>>
>> David
>>

> I have never seen a splatter screen for the oven, but the US
> "dandy device" for stovetop frying is a round metal mesh screen
> with a stiffer rim of metal around the edge for stability.

and they are bloody useless! I have one and, in spite of the very fine
mesh, I have to put a piece of paper towel on top to stop the fat
splattering all over the stove top.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"graham" > wrote in message

> "Puester" > wrote in message
>> David Hare-Scott wrote:
>> I am
>>> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some
>>> dandy
>>> device is not on.
>>>
>>> I am thinking of making a cover out of fencing wire and metal insect
>>> mesh
>>> that exactly fits the tray. What do you think?
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> I have never seen a splatter screen for the oven, but the US
>> "dandy device" for stovetop frying is a round metal mesh screen
>> with a stiffer rim of metal around the edge for stability.
>>

> and they are bloody useless! I have one and, in spite of the very
> fine mesh, I have to put a piece of paper towel on top to stop the fat
> splattering all over the stove top.
> Graham

I put a colandar upside down on the top of the pot. Works fine

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
graham

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
. uk...

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Puester" > wrote in message
>>> David Hare-Scott wrote:
>>> I am

>>> I have never seen a splatter screen for the oven, but the US
>>> "dandy device" for stovetop frying is a round metal mesh screen
>>> with a stiffer rim of metal around the edge for stability.
>>>

>> and they are bloody useless! I have one and, in spite of the very fine
>> mesh, I have to put a piece of paper towel on top to stop the fat
>> splattering all over the stove top.
>> Graham

> I put a colandar upside down on the top of the pot. Works fine

That's a good idea - I'll give it a try.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article <6ER9f.378042$oW2.169432@pd7tw1no>,
"graham" > wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> . uk...
> >
> > "graham" > wrote in message

> >> and they are bloody useless! I have one and, in spite of the very fine
> >> mesh, I have to put a piece of paper towel on top to stop the fat
> >> splattering all over the stove top.
> >> Graham

> > I put a colandar upside down on the top of the pot. Works fine
> >

> That's a good idea - I'll give it a try.
> Graham

That's a _damn_ good idea! I have a large screen colander that would fit
over my cast iron skillet. I use the skillet a lot to roast in as it's
easy to clean.

Thank you!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> In article <6ER9f.378042$oW2.169432@pd7tw1no>,
> "graham" > wrote:
>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> . uk...
>> >
>> > "graham" > wrote in message

>> > I put a colandar upside down on the top of the pot. Works fine
>> >

>> That's a good idea - I'll give it a try.
>> Graham
>>

> That's a _damn_ good idea! I have a large screen colander that would
> fit
> over my cast iron skillet. I use the skillet a lot to roast in as it's
> easy to clean.
>
> Thank you!

Let me know how you get on with it!

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> > In article <6ER9f.378042$oW2.169432@pd7tw1no>,
> > "graham" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> >> . uk...

> >> That's a good idea - I'll give it a try.
> >> Graham
> >>

> > That's a _damn_ good idea! I have a large screen colander that would
> > fit
> > over my cast iron skillet. I use the skillet a lot to roast in as it's
> > easy to clean.
> >
> > Thank you!

> Let me know how you get on with it!

Will do!!!
--
Om.

Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Stan Horwitz

In article >,
"David Hare-Scott" > wrote:

> I am developing a method for cooking pork ribs in my oven that goes like
> this:
>
> - trim ribs
> - marinate
> - put in oven dish with oven on fan
> - cook and turn occasionally and add a little water to keep them moist
> - when nearly cooked stop adding water and turn on top element
> - cook turning now and then until the fat separates and the marinade
> thickens and adheres
> - drain off fat and serve
>
> This works very well. The flesh stays moist, the fat is cooked out and the
> marinade caramelises a little.
>
> Now SWMBO says this is very tasty and I have to do it regularly but can I
> please stop the splatter on the inside of the oven. A reasonable request.
> During the moist stage the tray can be covered with foil but during the
> drying stage it needs to be open to allow evaporation. What can I do? I am
> in rural Australia so a trip to a big store in the USA to buy some dandy
> device is not on.

Why not just lay a sheet of aluminum foil loosely over the baking dish?
This should greatly reduce the spattering without impeding evaporation.
Posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Nobody

I have a "device" that is basically a fine screen enclosed in an aluminum
hoop, about 12 inches across. It works great to stop splattering; my only
complaint is that it has a plastic handle which melts if it gets near the
heat source.

Along the same lines, you could get some fine aluminum or stainless-stell
screen, and just lay it over the pan.