Old 28-10-2005, 12:41 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

Default cupcake liners

To follow up on wedding cakes and practicality, frugality and
efficiency ---
..
One wedding at which I officiated, the reception was in the church
dining room. Over 250 guests. No dinner, no bar; cake and punch,
coffee, nuts and candies, etc. The main wedding cake was a very
elegant three tier, from a bakery. This used for the ceremonial
cutting (I forbade them to do the tacky "mash in your face" thing.)
They saved the top tier to take home, and the rest was cut and served
on plates..
..
But, already set up on the serving table, relays of sheet cakes had
been previously baked and (simply) decorated by the ladies of the
church. They were already cut in squares and on small plates, along
with coffee and punch. Standing guests could pick up their cake plate
and coffee or punch, Other already seated at tables were served from
rolling carts. The two organizers were retired flight attendants, and
very organized and efficient!
..
I never before or since saw any reception work so well.

Old 28-10-2005, 01:08 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

ups.com...
.
[...]

I think what you did was very smart. So many people get in over their heads
with weddings, turning what might have been a wonderful day into a
nightmare. The weeks leading up to the wedding are stressful and the whole
thing is way too expensive unless the families are of considerable means.

Old 28-10-2005, 11:19 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Arri London

" wrote:

Arri London wrote:
" wrote:

I've never heard of cupcake wedding cakes. At first I pictured
building some kind of multi-layer thing with rings and rings of
individual cupcakes! But I assume that is not it
.
Does anyone have links with pictures? Are they iced and decorated,
individually, just on the top -- and hence the desire for nice-looking
papers to cover the sides? Or, if no paper liners, then do you ice and
decorate the sides as well? That sounds awfully labor-intensive to me.

Here's one illustration:

http://www.gailwatsoncake.com/kit_cupcake.html

They probably are labour intensive. But then any wedding cake would be.

Thanks for the link. Never saw thet before. Oh my word! That really
is very pricey! But I wonder if that is what the original poster was
talking about. Teflon rings? I think s/he was talking about cupcake
paper liners.

That price is just for the kit. Someone still needs to bake the
cupcakes.
The paper collars are a substitute for the ordinary cupcake liners.
Anything anyone cares to put on the cupcakes would work.

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite
what Martha Stewart may think. But hey, they are certainly trendy right
now.

Have been to weddings with extremely large receptions. There weren't any
problems about serving the cake. Bride and Groom got the top layer; rest
was cut up and distributed very efficiently.
Old 29-10-2005, 02:14 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

"Arri London" wrote in message

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite

what Martha Stewart may think.

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

Old 29-10-2005, 03:05 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 01:14:34 GMT, "Vox Humana"
wrote:

"Arri London" wrote in message

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite

what Martha Stewart may think.

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

I actually saw a wedding cake with cupcakes many years ago and it was
lovely.

It was for a garden wedding down south. The main cake was in the shape
of a big brimmed hat, something that echoed the bride & her
bridesmaids. There were flowers all over it and trails of "ribbons"
off the brim and every 6 or 8 inches on each of these ribbons was a
cupcake, made up to look like a small nosegay. I am not sure if the
description can make it sound nearly as unusual and charming it was.

Boron

Old 29-10-2005, 05:48 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"Arri London" wrote in message

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite
what Martha Stewart may think.

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

I actually saw a wedding cake with cupcakes many years ago and it was
lovely.

It was for a garden wedding down south. The main cake was in the shape
of a big brimmed hat, something that echoed the bride & her
bridesmaids. There were flowers all over it and trails of "ribbons"
off the brim and every 6 or 8 inches on each of these ribbons was a
cupcake, made up to look like a small nosegay. I am not sure if the
description can make it sound nearly as unusual and charming it was.

Boron

Ribbons, and flowers, attached to each individual cupcake?
Sometimes, some things, are just too much, "too" IT'S JUST A CAKE,
PEOPLE!

Old 29-10-2005, 07:01 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Boron Elgar

wrote:

[...]

It was a custom designed wedding cake, something a bit unusual that
many years ago and quite appropriate for an outdoor wedding. The
"ribbons" that led from the main part of the cake (which was in the
shape of a garden party hat, remember) and to the lines of cupcakes
were made of fondant. Those cupcakes were the delight of the children
who attended.

Of course it was "just a cake," but I daresay it was it was charming,
much more personal than a common tiered wedding cake and damn tasty.

Why would something like that be "too much" as opposed to some
multi-tiered white extravaganza wedding cake that would have looked
no different from anyone else's multi-tiered white extravaganza
wedding cake and proven way too formal for an informal wedding set in
a lush and lovely garden.

This was not a Bridezilla indulgence, but a labor of love made by the
bride's mother and two grandmothers, excellent bakers all, as well as
fine decorators.

There is nothing more wonderful than foods that are the result of fine
skill and love and presented to family at a joyous event.

Boron
Old 29-10-2005, 06:46 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

j-lattie-
Last night on Food TV Giada De Laurentiis was hosting a special about
the Grammy awards banguet. They were serving gorgeous food to over 1000
people and the organizer of the catering was... a retired flight
attendant!
-Marylouise

Old 29-10-2005, 07:43 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking

How rumors get started, smile.

Just to clarify... Martha had nothing whatsoever to do with the
cupcakes for wedding cake concept on the show. I never even saw the cup
cakes that the competitors turned down. When the competitors said
something about not choosing it because cup cakes need liners Martha
and her daughter said: You don't need liners. End of topic. That was
all they said. The point being the team tossed out an option based on a
false assumption.

As for her selling silicone muffin tins or cup cake liners... your
guess is as good as mine. She obviously said nothing about that. I
personally like her products very much, but since they re-designed her
website I can't figure out how to buy any products on line there now.
Maybe they've stopped selling except at K-Mart.

I watch the final few minutes of Martha Apprentice when I can remember
to do so because I find her comments in the board room, and those of
her daughter and her assistant, quite interesting.

I'm not a Martha groupie but I have a lot of respect for her and I've
learned from her over the years. I don't really go for the Martha
bashing that seems popular everywhere.

-Marylouise

Old 29-10-2005, 11:37 PM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Arri London

Vox Humana wrote:

"Arri London" wrote in message

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite

what Martha Stewart may think.

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

You shock and horrify me! Is there truly such a thing???

Old 30-10-2005, 12:09 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young

"Arri London" wrote

Vox Humana wrote:

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

You shock and horrify me! Is there truly such a thing???

Vox speaks the truth. I have seen that horror, here's one:

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/4430.html

nancy

Old 30-10-2005, 12:12 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 16:37:38 -0600, Arri London wrote:

Vox Humana wrote:

"Arri London" wrote in message

Personally I find cupcake wedding cakes just a touch downmarket despite
what Martha Stewart may think.

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

You shock and horrify me! Is there truly such a thing???

My reaction too. Is that cupcake thing supposed to be a poor man's
Croquembouche?
http://www.cafebrioche.com/images/ph...quembouche.jpg

Old 30-10-2005, 12:18 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
sf

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 19:09:15 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

"Arri London" wrote

Vox Humana wrote:

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

You shock and horrify me! Is there truly such a thing???

Vox speaks the truth. I have seen that horror, here's one:

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/4430.html

nancy

Call me Bubba, but a KrispyKream wedding cake seems entirely
appropriate for any marriage past the 2nd.

sf
Old 30-10-2005, 12:21 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm not a Martha groupie but I have a lot of respect for her and I've
learned from her over the years. I don't really go for the Martha
bashing that seems popular everywhere.

I didn't see any bashing here.

Old 30-10-2005, 12:23 AM posted to rec.food.baking,rec.food.cooking
Vox Humana

Vox Humana wrote:

Well, not as downmarket as a KrispyKream wedding cake.

You shock and horrify me! Is there truly such a thing???

Vox speaks the truth. I have seen that horror, here's one:

http://www.strangecosmos.com/content/item/4430.html

nancy

Call me Bubba, but a KrispyKream wedding cake seems entirely
appropriate for any marriage past the 2nd.

Past the 2nd. marriage one should consider serving bran muffins.