LurfysMa

Default How to make rolls or small baguettes

I would like to bake small one-serving rolls from various bread
recipes. I just tired it with the basic Pain Ordinaire recipe from the
Treuille & Ferrigno book (p72).

Mine didn't sit up like the ones in the photo, but flattened out like
fat pancakes. I didn't do the scissors snip.

Was my dough too wet?

I mixed it in a KA mixer as close to the instructions on page 49 as I
could. I did let it proof overnight in the refrigerator.

--
For email, use
MoM

"LurfysMa" > wrote in message
>I would like to bake small one-serving rolls from various bread
> recipes. I just tired it with the basic Pain Ordinaire recipe from the
> Treuille & Ferrigno book (p72).
>
> Mine didn't sit up like the ones in the photo, but flattened out like
> fat pancakes. I didn't do the scissors snip.
>
> Was my dough too wet?
>
> I mixed it in a KA mixer as close to the instructions on page 49 as I
> could. I did let it proof overnight in the refrigerator.
>
> --
> For email, use

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Brown And Serve Rolls

Recipe By: Helen Peagram
Serving Size: 10
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:

-= Ingredients =-
1/2 cup Warm milk ; 105 F -115 F.
3 tablespoons Sugar
2 teaspoons Salt
3 tablespoons Margarine
1 1/2 cups Warm water ; 105 F -1I5 F.
2 1/2 teaspoons Yeast
5 1/2 cups All-purpose flour ; to 6 1/2 cups
0

-= Instructions =-
I do this in my Kenwood mixer with a dough hook. I run it on low till a
dough ball forms and then speed it up a little to knead for about 12
minutes, adding flour as necessary so the dough cleans the bowl.

Heat milk in microwave for 70 seconds and add margarine.

Measure warm water into mixer bowl. Add warm milk with marg, salt, sugar
and yeast; turn on mixer with dough hook and slowly add 5 cups flour.

Add enough additional flour to make a dough that cleans the bowl and is not
sticky. Continue with the dough hook for 10 -12 minutes to knead.

Place in greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm
place, free from draft until double in bulk, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide dough into 110 g pieces. Cover; let rest 15
minutes.

Sprinkle cornmeal on the pans.

Form into desired rolls. I usually flatten each piece and then roll and
pinch to form a cigar shape. Use a utility blade and score the top of each
roll.

Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until double in bulk, about
1 hour.

Bake at 250°F. 30 minutes, leaving about 2 inches between pans. Cool in
pans. Remove from pans; wrap in plastic bags. Store in refrigerator up to
5 days or freeze.

When ready to serve, place on un-greased baking sheets.

Bake at 400F. 15 minutes, or until browned. Serve warm or cold.

MM by H Peagram

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at:
http://www.bigoven.com **

bobbi33

If you are just making a few, you might put the rolls in a cupcake pan
to bake. That way the shape will be confined. If there are more cups
than you are using, it is suggested that you put some water in the
empty spaces to protect your pan.

Jim Davis

LurfysMa wrote:
> I would like to bake small one-serving rolls from various bread
> recipes. I just tired it with the basic Pain Ordinaire recipe from the
> Treuille & Ferrigno book (p72).
>
> Mine didn't sit up like the ones in the photo, but flattened out like
> fat pancakes. I didn't do the scissors snip.
>
> Was my dough too wet?
>
> I mixed it in a KA mixer as close to the instructions on page 49 as I
> could. I did let it proof overnight in the refrigerator.

I've been experimenting for years with my breadmaker and have found the
best is the simpliest. I just put some on. Tossed in a tsp of yeast, 2
1/2 cups flour, tsp salt, scant cup of water, tsp or two of crisco, and
a splash of vinegar. Set it on dough cycle. Then when done I divide
into 3 parts each I can roll into a baquette or rolls. I usually bake
one or two and frig the rest. I bake at 400 degrees on a stone and
spritzz with water/vinegar 2 or 3 times while baking. Works for me!