stiko

Default creaming vs baking with olive oil

Hi.I'm trying to shift to baking more with olive oil than with butter. I
wonder if and how I can alter my recipes calling for creaming butter with
sugar so that they produce a light cake using olive oil. I 've thought of
folding whipped egg-whites (meringue) to the batter at the end of mixing,
even though I suspect that the finished product might turn out drier than it
should. Also,is there any way one could make flaky pie crusts with olive oil
? Thnx

pennyaline

stiko wrote:
> Hi.I'm trying to shift to baking more with olive oil than with butter.

So what's the matter with butter? Where did people get the idea that
margarines, spreads and oils, especially olive oil, are superior
health-wise to butter?

> wonder if and how I can alter my recipes calling for creaming butter with
> sugar so that they produce a light cake using olive oil. I 've thought of
> folding whipped egg-whites (meringue) to the batter at the end of mixing,
> even though I suspect that the finished product might turn out drier than it
> should.

I can't imagine achieving a good tasting result with olive oil. Try
another oil with a lighter flavor for baking cakes and pastries.

You can make cakes with oil, but you won't get the lusciousness and
tender crumb obtained with the creaming method. You just can't! You will
NOT be able to replicate creaming butter/shortening and sugar with any
other method.

Of course you can use egg whites and create variations on angel food,
but your cakes will be identifiable as variations on angel food. In and
of itself, that is not a bad thing.

> Also,is there any way one could make flaky pie crusts with olive oil

No. Flakiness is achieved when pieces of solid fat slowly melt away and
leave voids in the crumb of the crust. You can't do that with oils or
melted shortening.

stiko wrote:
> Hi.I'm trying to shift to baking more with olive oil than with butter. I
> wonder if and how I can alter my recipes calling for creaming butter with
> sugar so that they produce a light cake using olive oil. I 've thought of
> folding whipped egg-whites (meringue) to the batter at the end of mixing,
> even though I suspect that the finished product might turn out drier than it
> should. Also,is there any way one could make flaky pie crusts with olive oil
> ? Thnx

What you're looking for is a chiffon cake. They use oil and whipped
egg whites to lighten the batter. I would however use something else
besides olive oil. That just sounds horrible.

stiko

Hi to everybody!

Olive oil tastes great in baking (wherever it can be used that is;of course
many baked goods are traditionally made using butter and i agree it should
stay that way). Just pick the kind that has a mild taste and not a stong
odour. As for the health benefits they are indisputable (therefore my
persistance on using it instead of animal fat or margarine); just Google
"Mediterranean diet" and you'll be surprised and I think finally convinced!
Best Regards from Athens Greece to all of you Stiko

> ?????? ??? ??????
oups.com...

> stiko wrote:
>> Hi.I'm trying to shift to baking more with olive oil than with butter. I
>> wonder if and how I can alter my recipes calling for creaming butter with
>> sugar so that they produce a light cake using olive oil. I 've thought of
>> folding whipped egg-whites (meringue) to the batter at the end of mixing,
>> even though I suspect that the finished product might turn out drier than
>> it
>> should. Also,is there any way one could make flaky pie crusts with olive
>> oil
>> ? Thnx

> What you're looking for is a chiffon cake. They use oil and whipped
> egg whites to lighten the batter. I would however use something else
> besides olive oil. That just sounds horrible.

creaming sugar/butter notbob General Cooking 144 03-04-2016 11:41 PM
creaming or melting butter in cookies Julia Altshuler General Cooking 31 15-04-2008 09:44 PM
Sinai Exporter for Olive & Extra Virgin Olive Oil [email protected] Marketplace 0 12-08-2006 06:27 AM
Baking with Olive Oil ggg Baking 10 07-01-2006 05:45 AM
Baking with Olive Oil stiko Baking 6 31-10-2005 12:47 AM