FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pumpkin Pie - not custard or puree (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/72178-pumpkin-pie-not-custard.html)

Clay Harryman 16-10-2005 05:41 AM

Pumpkin Pie - not custard or puree

My wife travelled to Australia a couple years ago and was treated to a
pumpkin pie on American Thanksgiving. This pie, however, was not a
traditional custard, but more like an apple pie. It had chunks of
pumpkin in it. We have tried modifying apple pie recipes but cannot
find the right mix.

Does anyone out there have a recipe for a pumpkin pie of this type?

Thank you very much!

Vox Humana 16-10-2005 03:43 PM

Pumpkin Pie - not custard or puree

"Clay Harryman" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My wife travelled to Australia a couple years ago and was treated to a
> pumpkin pie on American Thanksgiving. This pie, however, was not a
> traditional custard, but more like an apple pie. It had chunks of
> pumpkin in it. We have tried modifying apple pie recipes but cannot
> find the right mix.
>
> Does anyone out there have a recipe for a pumpkin pie of this type?

Are using raw pumpkin or cooked? It seems that when I bake pumpkins to make
puree, a lot of water is exuded - same with any squash. I would think that
putting chunks of raw pumpkin into a crust would result in a very wet and
messy pie.

Clay Harryman 03-11-2005 02:10 PM

Pumpkin Pie - not custard or puree

I'm not sure. The story is rather cute:

She worked a long, hard Thanksgiving Day at the Australia office. When
she returned to her hotel, they had a Miller Genuine Draft and a slice
of pie sitting there. She (always) skips beer, and ate the pie. She was
thinking "Apple, no. Maybe peach, no.", because there were chunks of
fruit in the pie.

Later, when she returned to the front desk, they asked her how she
enjoyed the pumpkin pie. That's when she found out it was pumpkin.

They cook with pumpkin a great deal in Australia; she was offered
pumpkin soup, spaghetti with pumpkin sauce, and many other items.

Thanks!