FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cheesecake (https://www.foodbanter.com/baking/72089-cheesecake.html)

Dora Allan 14-10-2005 10:41 PM

Cheesecake

I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,
this cake needs to be baked for 1 hour then turn off the oven for 1 hour
then open the door for 1 hour. My problem is it ALWAYS cracks on me, how
can I avoid this.
Thanking you in advance

THE ROSE

Vox Humana 14-10-2005 11:03 PM

Cheesecake

"Dora Allan" > wrote in message
> I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,
> this cake needs to be baked for 1 hour then turn off the oven for 1 hour
> then open the door for 1 hour. My problem is it ALWAYS cracks on me, how
> can I avoid this.
> Thanking you in advance

The primary reasons for cracking are that you beat air into the batter and
that the cake is heated and/or cooled too quickly. Air expends dramaticaly
when heated, causing the cake to expand. When it cools, the cake deflates
and cracks form.

Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature. Beat on low speed, and
only until everything is well mixed. You will be less likely to whip air
into the batter is you mix it in a food processor. Bake the cake in a water
bath.

Ward Abbott 14-10-2005 11:32 PM

Cheesecake

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:41:33 -0400, (Dora Allan)
wrote:

>I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,

It cracks....why does that make it wonderful?

Reg 14-10-2005 11:46 PM

Cheesecake

Dora Allan wrote:

> I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,
> this cake needs to be baked for 1 hour then turn off the oven for 1 hour
> then open the door for 1 hour. My problem is it ALWAYS cracks on me, how
> can I avoid this.
> Thanking you in advance

Overcooking is one thing that will cause this. I find if I
remove the cake slightly before it's 100% solid I'll end up with
a smooth surface and it will still be completely cooked.

Check for doneness by jiggling the cake slightly. If the center
1/3 appears slightly fuid then it's done.

Dan Wenz 15-10-2005 02:35 PM

Cheesecake

Ward Abbott wrote:

>>I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,

> It cracks....why does that make it wonderful?

Maybe because it tastes good!

Rowbotth 15-10-2005 07:47 PM

Cheesecake

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 17:41:33 -0400, (Dora Allan)
> wrote:
>
> >I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,

> It cracks....why does that make it wonderful?

The poster may be handicapped. Maybe her tongue has no eyes?

If the cake is wonderful, and someone is making remarks, just serve the
cake to your real friends, maybe??? More for them, which seems to be a
suitable reward to me...

H.

Ward Abbott 16-10-2005 12:42 AM

Cheesecake

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 09:35:52 -0400, Dan Wenz >
wrote:

>Maybe because it tastes good!

Cherry topping hides a multitude of sins...... <vbg>

Ward Abbott 16-10-2005 12:43 AM

Cheesecake

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:47:47 GMT, Rowbotth >
wrote:

>The poster may be handicapped.

YOU are RIGHT again.....it was webtv....

Del Cecchi 18-10-2005 04:43 PM

Cheesecake

Reg wrote:
> Dora Allan wrote:
>
>> I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,
>> this cake needs to be baked for 1 hour then turn off the oven for 1 hour
>> then open the door for 1 hour. My problem is it ALWAYS cracks on me, how
>> can I avoid this.
>> Thanking you in advance

> Overcooking is one thing that will cause this. I find if I
> remove the cake slightly before it's 100% solid I'll end up with
> a smooth surface and it will still be completely cooked.
>
> Check for doneness by jiggling the cake slightly. If the center
> 1/3 appears slightly fuid then it's done.

waterbath. and check doneness with instant thermomter

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Reg 18-10-2005 06:41 PM

Cheesecake

Del Cecchi wrote:

> waterbath. and check doneness with instant thermomter

Yup. Insert thermometer in the center. If it's still a bit
liquidy, it's done.

TammyM 20-10-2005 04:33 PM

Cheesecake

wrote:

>I make a wonderful cheesecake with cream cheese, sour cream and eggs,
>this cake needs to be baked for 1 hour then turn off the oven for 1 hour
>then open the door for 1 hour. My problem is it ALWAYS cracks on me, how
>can I avoid this.
>Thanking you in advance
>
>THE ROSE

Many good suggestions have been given. You may also wish to try
cooling the cheesecake by propping the oven door slightly open by
using a wooden spoon rather than opening the door all the way. This
allows slower cooling of the cheesecake.

I've made a lot of cheesecakes in my time. Even with the greatest of
care, sometimes they crack. C'est la guerre. I usually try to make
sure I have appropriate topping ingredients on hand just in case --
that is, if the appearance will be that important. My family and
friends happily scarf up even the most cratered of my cheesecakes :-)
I'm usually the only one unhappy with them. Your friends will love
you AND your cheesecake-making "mistakes".

best of luck to you,
TammyM
tdmcniff at ucdavis dot edu

EmotiGear 30-10-2005 03:41 PM

Cheesecake

I've been making cheesecakes for many years, and in my experience, slow and
easy wins the race, especially with cheesecakes. You might try this:
Cooking at a lower temperature, for a longer amount of time will work too.
Example: if the recipe calls for 350 degrees for 50 minutes, try lowering
the temperature to 325 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Prop oven door open
and let cake sit until oven is completely cooled. Remove cake to wire rack
& let cool until room temperature. Place in fridge overnight, at a minimum.
You'll get the best flavor.

Lisa
Lisa's Gourmet
Confections and Foods -- Home of THE "Perfect Cheesecake"
http://www.emotigear.com/LisasGourmet/