C-Beeby

Default Baking cakes in a breadmaker

Hello all,

I have bought a second-hand breadmaker. It has a cake cycle, and the kids
are keen to bake cakes.

Strangely, the breadmaker came with no recipes (perhaps they were in a
second booklet that got lost). So I have no idea what recipes to use. I have
bought a breadmaker book, it has cake recipes, but they all assume that you
can vary the baking time on your cake cycle, or that you have a variable
bake-only cycle. I can't and don't with this machine. The cake cycle is
rather basic, it mixes, then bakes (temperature unspecified) for 50, 60 or
70 mins. These times are not adjustable, except presumably by hitting the
STOP button just before the end of the bake cycle. The bread pan will fit a
1lb - 2lb loaf.

Does anyone have any suggestions or useful links? Likewise, I have a jam
cycle, but no recipes.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Helen.

jacqui{JB}

"C-Beeby" > wrote in message

> I have bought a second-hand breadmaker. It has a cake
> cycle, and the kids are keen to bake cakes.
> Does anyone have any suggestions or useful links?
> Likewise, I have a jam cycle, but no recipes.

Have you checked the manufacturer's website? Assuming, of course, the
manufacturer has bothered to put its name on the machine -- some of them are
irritating that way.

Good luck!
-j

Vox Humana

"C-Beeby" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have bought a second-hand breadmaker. It has a cake cycle, and the kids
> are keen to bake cakes.
>
> Strangely, the breadmaker came with no recipes (perhaps they were in a
> second booklet that got lost). So I have no idea what recipes to use. I

have
> bought a breadmaker book, it has cake recipes, but they all assume that

you
> can vary the baking time on your cake cycle, or that you have a variable
> bake-only cycle. I can't and don't with this machine. The cake cycle is
> rather basic, it mixes, then bakes (temperature unspecified) for 50, 60 or
> 70 mins. These times are not adjustable, except presumably by hitting the
> STOP button just before the end of the bake cycle. The bread pan will fit

> 1lb - 2lb loaf.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or useful links? Likewise, I have a jam
> cycle, but no recipes.
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions,

Cake mixes are the most forgiving way to bake a cake and can be had for
under a dollar. While I'm not a fan of cake mixes, I would suggest that you
get one and dump all the ingredients into the bread maker and run the cake
cycle. That will give you an idea of how the machine will perform with the
least research and the least investment. If it is a flop, you are out a
cake mix and a couple of eggs.

You can find recipes by doing a Google search on various combinations of:
bread maker (or)
Bread Machine (and)
Cake recipe (or)
Jam recipe

I would also suggest that you browse a large bookstore. There is often a
section in the cookbook department called "appliance cooking." You may find
something useful there. And, as has been suggested, you can search the
manufacturer's website. Also, as I recall, Alt.Bread.Recipes was dominated
by people posting recipes for and discussing automatic bread machines.
Someone there might be of help and/or you can do an advanced Google Groups
search of that newsgroup.

Rina

You can use a cake mix...

Personally I think its easier and faster to use your oven, but I can
understand the curiosity factor of trying the cake cycle on your bread
machine especially if you have kids... they love that sort of thing and a
bread machine is probably safer for them to use ( under Mom's watchful eye)

Here's a tip that I saved from .

Hope it helps.

Rina

* Exported from MasterCook *

Cake Mixes & Bread Machines

Recipe By :Robert Barnett
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Tips

Don't bother with from scratch cake recipes in your machine. They over mix
the batter and will never make a good cake. Use store-bought mixes which can
be mixed until a Twinkie mildews and still come out great. There are lots of
way to improve a store-bought cake mix. Some ideas include:

1. Add 1 tsp. baking powder for extra boost.
2. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extra.
3. Add 1 tsp. Almond Extra (great with chocolate or white cakes)
4. Add 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder to chocolate cakes for a deep dark chocolate
flavor.
5. Add flavored chips like the ones King Arthur sells to your mixes. I like
the mint with chocolate and the lemon with lemon cake mix. You can also add
the cinnamon chips to a spice or carrot cake for extra flavor.

Source:
"Posted to Bread Machine Club Sun May 9, 2004 12:59 pm"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"C-Beeby" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have bought a second-hand breadmaker. It has a cake cycle, and the kids
> are keen to bake cakes.
>
> Strangely, the breadmaker came with no recipes (perhaps they were in a
> second booklet that got lost). So I have no idea what recipes to use. I
> have
> bought a breadmaker book, it has cake recipes, but they all assume that
> you
> can vary the baking time on your cake cycle, or that you have a variable
> bake-only cycle. I can't and don't with this machine. The cake cycle is
> rather basic, it mixes, then bakes (temperature unspecified) for 50, 60 or
> 70 mins. These times are not adjustable, except presumably by hitting the
> STOP button just before the end of the bake cycle. The bread pan will fit
> 1lb - 2lb loaf.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions or useful links? Likewise, I have a jam
> cycle, but no recipes.

TammyM

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:02:32 -0400, "Rina" >
wrote:

>You can use a cake mix...
>
>Personally I think its easier and faster to use your oven, but I can
>understand the curiosity factor of trying the cake cycle on your bread
>machine especially if you have kids... they love that sort of thing and a
>bread machine is probably safer for them to use ( under Mom's watchful eye)
>
>Here's a tip that I saved from .
>
>Hope it helps.
>
>Rina
>
>* Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Cake Mixes & Bread Machines
>
>Recipe By :Robert Barnett
>Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Tips

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
>
>Don't bother with from scratch cake recipes in your machine. They over mix
>the batter and will never make a good cake. Use store-bought mixes which can
>be mixed until a Twinkie mildews and still come out great. There are lots of
>way to improve a store-bought cake mix. Some ideas include:

What a great line, "until a Twinkie mildews" !!!

TammyM

>1. Add 1 tsp. baking powder for extra boost.
>2. Add 1 tsp. vanilla extra.
>3. Add 1 tsp. Almond Extra (great with chocolate or white cakes)
>4. Add 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder to chocolate cakes for a deep dark chocolate
>flavor.
>5. Add flavored chips like the ones King Arthur sells to your mixes. I like
>the mint with chocolate and the lemon with lemon cake mix. You can also add
>the cinnamon chips to a spice or carrot cake for extra flavor.
>

>Source:
> "Posted to Bread Machine Club Sun May 9, 2004 12:59 pm"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>

>"C-Beeby" > wrote in message
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I have bought a second-hand breadmaker. It has a cake cycle, and the kids
>> are keen to bake cakes.
>>
>> Strangely, the breadmaker came with no recipes (perhaps they were in a
>> second booklet that got lost). So I have no idea what recipes to use. I
>> have
>> bought a breadmaker book, it has cake recipes, but they all assume that
>> you
>> can vary the baking time on your cake cycle, or that you have a variable
>> bake-only cycle. I can't and don't with this machine. The cake cycle is
>> rather basic, it mixes, then bakes (temperature unspecified) for 50, 60 or
>> 70 mins. These times are not adjustable, except presumably by hitting the
>> STOP button just before the end of the bake cycle. The bread pan will fit
>> 1lb - 2lb loaf.
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions or useful links? Likewise, I have a jam
>> cycle, but no recipes.

Rina

Not my line, It tickled my funny bone too... that's why I saved it as a
Quote.

FWIW: I baked a chocolate pound cake in my bread machine... only once.
(curiosity got to me) It smelled wonderful while baking,but it came out dry
and crumbly and was tough to get out of the pan. It could have been the
recipe or my inexperience with baking cakes in a bread machine... who knows.
but it certainly would have been easier in my oven.

Rina