Mark Chrismer

Default fruit cake

Hi its that time of year again.
I am wanting to bake some fruit cakes for family and friends. The
problem I always run in to is baking time and temp,due to changing ovens
from house to house. The big question is if I go from a regular loaf
pan to the smaller 6 in pan due I need to change temp or time. I use the
method that has a pan of watter in the bottom. It seems every year is a
experiment but all my standards change oven and size are my new test.
please give any advice if you can.

Vox Humana

"Mark Chrismer" > wrote in message
> Hi its that time of year again.
> I am wanting to bake some fruit cakes for family and friends. The
> problem I always run in to is baking time and temp,due to changing ovens
> from house to house. The big question is if I go from a regular loaf
> pan to the smaller 6 in pan due I need to change temp or time. I use the
> method that has a pan of watter in the bottom. It seems every year is a
> experiment but all my standards change oven and size are my new test.
> please give any advice if you can.

You will have to shorten the time when using a smaller pan. Leave the
temperature the same. Take the cake out of the oven when it is done. I know
that seems obvious, but baking times are just a guide. What is most
important is to be able to recognize when the cake is fully baked regardless
of the time stated in the recipe.

Ross Bernheim

Mark Chrismer > wrote:

> Hi its that time of year again.
> I am wanting to bake some fruit cakes for family and friends. The
> problem I always run in to is baking time and temp,due to changing ovens
> from house to house. The big question is if I go from a regular loaf
> pan to the smaller 6 in pan due I need to change temp or time. I use the
> method that has a pan of watter in the bottom. It seems every year is a
> experiment but all my standards change oven and size are my new test.
> please give any advice if you can.

An oven thermometer will help quite a bit when moving from one oven to
another. List and then control each of the variables in your baking
process.

Ross Bernheim